Pajero Mk2 SWB MIVEC Build

CharlieNorth

Headers, first tubes are started.
UvYgYm1.jpg

CharlieNorth

More tube work done, hard to see. I got further along on the right side primary tubes than the technicaly easier left side, this side being a harder place to work with the starter and steering column. These primary tubes are 1.625 OD .0625 wall tube and they all end at 15" from the valve seat. At this point they step up to 1.75 OD tube and end with the merge point of the collector at 40". This will provide a resonant tune point a little above MIVEC switching.
vafujN1.jpg

And the left side is not as far along yet, with space getting snug along the front propshaft I want to complete the front cylinders tube and locate the collector. I am 95% sure I will be running a full dual exhaust. The decision will be based on snaking the 2 ½ tube around the panhard bar structure and gas tank. I think I can.
yMlUphQ.jpg

CharlieNorth

Late yesterday I essentially finished the primary exhaust tubes and came to realize it am not happy with the bulk of the tubing I bought for the lower, larger tubes into the collectors. So I ordered up more tube that will take a week to get here. I did take quite a few photos this morning but none of them really show what I have done since all this work is down and aft of the previous images.
My mind is wandering to the grey connector in the image above, A15 in the factory documents. This is a major through the firewall connector in the Eclipse and I do not have the chassis side of it. Closest salvage yard that might have it is a 4hr drive, not even sure if they have the bodyshells in the yard anymore. Without the mating connector I need to repin all these wires into different shells if I have suitable ones here.

Last edited:

CharlieNorth

Actually I do have one little tidbit from yesterday. One Gen 2.5 grille bracket came in from Dubai, the right side one. The rest of my two orders are NLA, Would love to get a working Gen 1 fuel pickup/sender unit.
On the lower right of the image below I am reluctantly using a Gen 2 bracket but made an adapter to locate the top of the 2.5 grill, and in this application I also attached the battery outlet up high rather than down just over the bumper. If anyone has some surplus Gen 2.5 grille brackets I could use a few.
T5UJxox.jpg

Last edited:

CharlieNorth

Does this mean welding small dia aluminum tubing?
It is starting to look that way. I also think I will need to machine my own tube ends as well. If I can get by with just changing the tube ends allowiing me to "clock" the fittings, I will insert a copper rod inside the tube as a mandrel to weld over and reduce the need to Argon purge the tube.

Looked into finding out if I can run Teflon tube but that has it's difficulties since Freon needs O ring fittings which are not common for the "aircraft style" plumbing. Really need to stay with the barrier hose designed for R134.

Here I though that using the 2008 AC compressor would be the right thing since it is a more efficient design. Not efficient to plumb it though.

That Mirage is quite the little car, do you ever wish you had started with a longer wheelbase sedan to make it more manageable to drive or you're perfectly happy with the coupe?

Let me know if you want to sell any parts off that Galant parts car, the one I'm buying is definitely going to need some help.

Also, good idea just buying those exhaust collectors, working smarter not harder on fiddly time consuming bits like that.

CharlieNorth

I like SWB cars for their maneuverability. Especially that one. It is superb on gravel or tarmac in it's tossability. It did take time for the limited slips to bed in but from that point it is quite manageable for those that can manage a vehicle like that. 3 clutch type diffs that do not want to release is not for the faint of heart especially in a 2100# moderately large tired car. I am kind of glad I never put the wheel flairs on and real wide tires.

I have hand built collectors in the past. Real good one are tedious to make. Say what we want about China and other places, those collectors were just $75 each plus shipping. I just learned they offer a set that necks down to 2 ¼ or so and back up to the 2 ½ exhaust size. That is what this really should have to get the most torque available.

Galants, I have some bits here, get in touch when you get yours. I have a fair bit of "Logical knowledge" about setting them up to drive sweet, first step is to disable the rear rack. 3KGT springs are just right as well.

Last edited:

CharlieNorth

Believe it or not I have started back on this project, I am working on the lower tubes of the stepped headers and machining the O ring reliefs in the collector flanges.
The break I took was getting back to the airplane I am building since that was set aside when the Pajero project began. That is to big a project to get behind on just due to this one eating up weeks and months.

Last edited:

CharlieNorth

I finally have something to show of my work. I am back working on the headers and have the first of six tubes all the way into a collector.
8YBp5iz.jpg

Behind the crossmember is the right side cat.
dtlTdq3.jpg

And looking forward. The center and rear cylinder need to snake around and into the lower tubes of the collector.
xFLBnYt.jpg
5tPDOOG.jpg

The left side with the front propshaft is going to be interesting.
RdI1NPT.jpg

CharlieNorth

On the ground, not enjoyable as one ages. I have a 4x4 block of wood under each tire that gives me enough room without being to far a reach.
I bought a lift 20 years ago but the ceiling in my garage is way to low, I am thinking I need to cut a section out.
But I live with an oddity, back in 1999 I incurred a neck injury working as a fireman that is getting problematic with the resulting pinched nerves locking my right shoulder when I lean my head back as one needs to do under a lift. Getting old sucks. My duty cycle is well below the 12-15hr days of the past.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles