Pajero Mk2 SWB MIVEC Build

CharlieNorth

And today I have the PS pump mount in place and lined up nicely. The front of the engine is getting closer to completion.
ghxXwtF.jpg

4Gfi9LV.jpg

CharlieNorth

It was time, It regurgitated it's transmission.
aXaxDqe.jpg

nuLDHLR.jpg

And mated to the engine
4aBm4q9.jpg

I will do some detail work on engine brackets and stuff.
One of the main reasons to pull this was the wire harness was a tangled mess and I could not figure the issue out. Right after mating the transmission and bringing the harness up over the engine, I realized the harness had a 360 twist in it. Spun that out and it looks like I intended. Weather permitting I am flying about 5 hrs tomorrow but heck that might get rained out and I will wrap this harness up.

CharlieNorth

I am starting to get a handle on the rats nest. The wires now lay in place pretty well and soon it is time to start splicing again.
One thing hidden under the mess is I have fabricated much neater coolant outlets for the rear heater, I will get decent shots of this in a few days.
QVmXs1N.jpg

mkkfZXD.jpg

CharlieNorth

Front LSD, Decisions, decisions.
I intend to install a worm type LSD in this and since 95% of the mission is road work and near half the year is not pretty weather. Well snow can be pretty.
At this time this has the factory plate type rear diff, that will need the re-stacking to get usable grip from it.
At this time I do not even know what I will want for axle gear ratios, it has 4.88 in it now. I expect they were quite suitable for what I consider the gutless 2.5L diesel these came with and low speed roads, not to mention great off highway use.
For me I have no problem downshifting when I need to.
I found that towing trailers with my Mighty Max was quite a good balance. It was the lowest powered tow rig yet on the open highway settled in at 80 with the traffic very comfortably with either my boat or a car behind it. What really amazed me was towing in the hills it was me in the left lane holding the 50+ speed while passing a line of cars, not in top gear most of the pull.
The V6 Max has 4.22 gears and that is where my mind is for this rig. I would rather have 3.15 Tcase ratio than living with a revving engine all the time on the road.

So I am close to buying one of the Russian diffs for the front, that worm gear up front and a clutch type in back should be sweet in the winter and allow us freedom for the many times a year we head out early before the roads are plowed.

CharlieNorth

I have ordered a front diff, kind of think I should have ordered the T case gears since I really do not want to pull that case out in the vehicle. Not only is that case huge but where it is over the middle crossmember and pretty snug against the body as well I doubt it will roll out of there.
I will make a decision and possibly order gears tonight. The exchange rate is not great right now.

CharlieNorth

Still picking at the "bad hair" at the back of the engine. Closer but far from done.
35BzAzU.jpg

The corrugated tube to the left is the transmission and Tcase harness. The two to the right and center are the rear heater water feeds.
fmobsfN.jpg

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I'm glad I'm almost done with this part on mine, wiring makes my eyes hurt ? .

I really enjoy you posting up the dirty work of a swap, good work Charlie!

CharlieNorth

Luckily wiring works for me. Heck you are more efficient with the Heavy metal and I can do details and wires all day long. Wish I could afford to move out there but I should have done that 20-30 years back if I was going to. I am creeping up on 70 so I do not see it in the cards.

And about wires, finally starting to wrap what not long ago was a rats nest. Quite a few splices here being this is a 2008 Eclipse Mivec harness mated to a 2002 5 speed Montero auto and electric shift T case optimized to go in a '93 Monti-Pajero. The chassis originally had a cable drive instrument cluster but now has a '95 SR instruments. That alone was more than a week reverse engineering all the 60ish pins on each cluster. I do not recall if any wire remained where it was. Today we realized this arrived from Shaun S out in Oregon one year and 3 days ago.
66A0Lc4.jpg

1f4V9x2.jpg

And what it was a week ago.
WgXZfDM.jpg

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
If you lived down here I'd be pestering you all the time trying to learn everything, especially if it were 20 years back. I didn't have anything to do and was just getting into Monteros. Would have been like Karate Kid but with wrenches ?

• Haha
Reactions: plh

CharlieNorth

That would not bother me at all, I do allot of mentoring and have done so since I was a kid. I also learn as I mentor since I recognize my way does not work for everyone which is a very import lesson I learned. As such I learn different techniques from everyone I am around.

Interesting thing of late, as I age I now recognize my mind slowing down. Frustrating since I am slow to access things I know, I know.
Heck I need to pass on as much of my knowledge as I can.

CharlieNorth

Reminiscing back a year ago. A year back on Sept 14 the Pajero arrived here from Oregon,
yLA8JL0.jpg

By the 16th I had the Gen 3 electric shifters mounted under the Gen 2 console.
5iS8a2R.jpg

rD0HGNc.jpg

And on the 21st I had the 5 speed auto trans in the shop to start playing with wires.
j3TTG05.jpg

And the engine was delivered that day as well.
gJa8GmC.jpg

So this has come a long way and a massive amount of hours and money has been going in this, but I ain't done yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94