Pajero Mk2 SWB MIVEC Build

plh

Explorer
I would sure like to see you generate any proof of that.
Mitsubishi has used Asian automatics from back when they were Borg Warner in the late 60s. The name was changed when the new factory and corporate offices were built.
Jatco transmissions have crept into the newer FWD based cars since the Renault buy in. Mitsubishi has been producing Kei cars for Nissan for years and these have Nissan supplied transmissions.
Both the 4 and 5 speed automatics in Sports and 3rd Gen Monteros are the same family and are Asian built units.
I have purchaced new shift soliniods for one of my Gen 3s and it is in an Asian box. FWIW the transmission parts pricing is cheaper through Chrysler, they use Mitsubishi part numbering in Jeeps and the parts come in a mix of Asian, Mitsu or Mopar packaging. Never have I seen a Jatco part in a Pre 2008 Mitsubishi.

Tough to prove without a tag stating manufacture, OEMs pretty much ended that in the 2000s. I know we don't label anything anymore for the OEMs. Could be that Jatco sources the shift solenoids from Aisin - nobody make everything these days.

CharlieNorth

Time to catch up a bit, back in early Nov I spent time trimming the engine brackets to get the engine to sit right where I want it. It will be quite low in the chassis as in just 8mm above the front axle and diff. This keeps the full driveline above the frame rails but far less so than a factory installation. This Pajero came to me with a 2" body lift which I do not see any need for and being a mid size Englishman I pretty much needed a step to climb in. I expect owners before me needed one too since looking at the worn fabric on the seats. With the body lowered there is still allot of room over this rather large Asian V5A51 transmission. Even plenty of room to route the rear heater hoses over the transfer case rather then next to it allowing me to run a dual exhaust.

So with the driveline set in place, engine brackets refitted allowing for simple frame brackets, it was time to move forward. The frame brackets now could sit flush with the top of the main rails and came out looking like these.

Right bracket in place, sweet and neat.

Attachments

• IMG_6750.JPG
    IMG_6750.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6751.JPG
    IMG_6751.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6752.JPG
    IMG_6752.JPG
    893.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6765.JPG
    IMG_6765.JPG
    977.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6760.JPG
    IMG_6760.JPG
    938.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

CharlieNorth

Can't say I know how to place images where they should be in this forum.
With this being mid November it was time to start getting this up into the basement shop for the winter. So out into the light it went.

With my SR ready to pull this up to the house I took a quick walk around before moving it.

Attachments

• IMG_6804.JPG
    IMG_6804.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6806.JPG
    IMG_6806.JPG
    982.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6809.JPG
    IMG_6809.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6810.JPG
    IMG_6810.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6813.JPG
    IMG_6813.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6818.JPG
    IMG_6818.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Reactions: plh

CharlieNorth

Now with it sitting outside the basement I needed to get one of my planes out of the workspace and clean up a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_6825.JPG
    IMG_6825.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6826.JPG
    IMG_6826.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6835.JPG
    IMG_6835.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6873.JPG
    IMG_6873.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

CharlieNorth

One thing I chose to do, to the lack of great 7" round lamps today I swapped to Gen 2.5 lights.
Went with a 2.5 grille as well.
I then chose to metalize the grille to brighten it up a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_6996.JPG
    IMG_6996.JPG
    696.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6999.JPG
    IMG_6999.JPG
    806.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7003.JPG
    IMG_7003.JPG
    933.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7006.JPG
    IMG_7006.JPG
    930.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7163.JPG
    IMG_7163.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 17

CharlieNorth

Later on with December going by we got our first real snow in some years. I plow with a Gen 1, great little rig.

Then digging around the SR the next day, it was now -18F out. I plowed for 5 days just in my yard, this followed with the temp rising to 55F and rain, all the snow went away in a day, as fast as it had come to us.

Attachments

• IMG_6048.JPG
    IMG_6048.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7093.JPG
    IMG_7093.JPG
    769.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

CharlieNorth

I did work at the cooling a bit, at first I cleaned up the transmission cooler and re-installed it, then when installing the engine/trans, the tail of the transfer case bound up on the garage floor and the crank pulley got into the AC condenser, that did no good to the condenser. So I will pull may spare from my second SR. I also recognized this trans cooler is allot smaller than what the 95 SR runs, so my spare one will be going in.
Now with the project up in the cluttered basement/shop I started fitting the new radiator to build it out.
In the last of these four images, on the right side, the coolant resevoir mounts to the battery tray. I hate that battery tray and the neat thing with this Pajero is it has a second battey mount back against the firewall. I will utilize that rear tray and cut up this front one siply to hold the coolant bottle where it originally lives.

Attachments

• IMG_7105.JPG
    IMG_7105.JPG
    940.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7111.JPG
    IMG_7111.JPG
    904.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7112.JPG
    IMG_7112.JPG
    878.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7114.JPG
    IMG_7114.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18

CharlieNorth

Were much of my time on this project is going and I do not see that it can be documented with images is the wiring. I am about 300 hours into research design-planning as well as the fun stuff, cutting and soldering multiple vehicle harnesses together.
What the scope is, A 2008 Eclipse 3.8 Mivec engine and harness/PCM connected to a Gen 3 Asian 5 speed transmission which has an electrically shifted transfer case on the back.
This Transfer case has no provision for a speedometer cable as our 91-93 Monti/Pajeros utilized, as such the full later cluster get swapped in.
This engine has TBW such that the throttle pedal needed to be changed out.
I am spending hours in four different service manuals scoping every wire and what and why it is needed.
I also will be incorporating the canbus circuits so I can get the gear position readout I have options with this, one that looked viable might have been a Gen 3 ECU which drives the shift position lights as an analog system, but that ecu does not have all the circuits to properly drive the MIVEC system.
That is only part of this wiring project.
First 3 shots here is the PCM laid over the engine, bottom right or lets call it left aft corner of engine bay are some of the body harness and front chassis harness by the fuse box.

Attachments

• IMG_7155.JPG
    IMG_7155.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7156.JPG
    IMG_7156.JPG
    981.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7157.JPG
    IMG_7157.JPG

CharlieNorth

A bit more, back in mid Dec I worked on the shifter, particularly the cable to the transmission. One change for this Gen 3 setup is the cable runs forwards and is a considerably shorter run than a Gen 2 setup where the cable travels aft and takes a 10 foot or so loop all around the place. I had previously spent time getting the late style shifters to sit happily under the Pajero RHD console. I think they will present themselves well.
First image is the very rough cable hole and the Gen 3 wire boot which is about 8mm wider than the early passage.
Second is the very rough hole through the multiple layers of metal.
Third to filth hole is cleaned up, the wire way has been cut so the later style boot fits, sealant has been applied under the shifter block off plates and the cable grommet.

Attachments

• IMG_7012.JPG
    IMG_7012.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7109.JPG
    IMG_7109.JPG
    993.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7118.JPG
    IMG_7118.JPG
    900.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7120.JPG
    IMG_7120.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7121.JPG
    IMG_7121.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

CharlieNorth

Oh while we are at it, a little more.
How about the throttle pedal, this is the Eclipse pedal which have been bent folded and mutilated the get the pedal pad where I think I want it. The assembly utilizes an aluminum plate adapter so it sits next to the fusebox such there are no secondary modifications. The pedal can be adjusted up and down as well as raised or lowered to be positioned with the brake pedal.

Next set is how the shifters sit waiting for a few hours of wire splicing.

And the last three, the console set in place over the shifters.

Attachments

• IMG_7171.JPG
    IMG_7171.JPG
    972 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7176.JPG
    IMG_7176.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7187.JPG
    IMG_7187.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7188.JPG
    IMG_7188.JPG
  • IMG_7189.JPG
    IMG_7189.JPG
  • IMG_7190.JPG
    IMG_7190.JPG
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 13

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
looking good, i'll get those bolts out to you soon. Things got really busy this past weekend here.

CharlieNorth

That's a lot of work.
Yes it is, I like this kind of work since it challenges the mind, Plus I will have a vehicle that will offer a rather wide operating parameter that no one else in the world will have. In many ways this will be fairly close to the Pajero EVO which I do have a full Gen 3 suspension that is intended to be built into a full independent Gen2, be it a LWB or this SWB My Gen 3 front suspension has been converted to manual hubs as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94