Pajero 2.8 Turbo Diesel with 5speed conversion kit

brad2274

Adventurer
Hey guys posted this in the facebook group last week, lowered the price need this gone quick. Please dont ask if i'll ship it, it will need modified pallets and 2 of them. Engine is 400-600lbs and the transmission is like 250-300lbs. But i have access to a hoist to load into your vehicle. Me and my bud can meet you part way if youre driving from far.
Price: $2300
FB post:20201210_161155.jpg20201210_162035.jpg20201210_162020.jpg20201210_160601.jpg20201210_160612.jpg20201210_161310.jpg20201210_161920.jpg20201210_161943.jpg
"Pretty much everything you need to get your rig converted to Turbo Diesel and manual.
I was going to run this in my rig but changed my mind since my county has strict emissions and I can't be without my daily for a while.
Engine:
All accessories mounted, with belts, flywheel, starter, some custom intake and intercooler piping from previous owner, but all removable. I believe he was missing factory piping and made his own, as the intake was modded factory SR one.
EGR delete
This is the simple engine with mechanical injection pump and adjustable boost compensator. 94 written on back of engine. No ecu needed to run.
I went around marking all the open hoses or wires with what they should correspond to.
Only other things you would need to grab is glow plug relay and a vacuum pump for brakes I believe (previous guy ran Volvo pump).
Trans:
Complete manual trans/transfer with decent used clutch, entire clutch system (lines, slave, master, pedal) and both drive shafts, one custom. Also trans cross member cut and welded. Also has wiring harness, I believe it's an automatic harness modded to work for the manual, need some cleaning up and wires repaired.
All came out of a swapped truck me and pal were trying to buy and drive that was caught up in an ownership dispute with no title. Was running and driving 2 years ago before sitting in lot because of dispute. I have previous owners contact info, but he was interested in getting truck back so he likely won't be happy to hear it was split apart. Miles are unknown but assumed to be low as guy only used it occasionally in the winter. Was in a 1997 SR. You're welcome to compression test it or start it if you're familiar with diesels.
Price is 2400 or best offer picked up. Need gone quick. Located in Fort Collins, Colorado."

Attachments

• 20201210_161230.jpg
    20201210_161230.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: plh

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Good price, odd that they cut and welded the crossmember and it looks like they welded the trans mount to the crossmember as well. A simpler way to get the mount in the correct location would be to bolt the crossmember on backwards, that moves the whole drive train where it should be for the diesel and there is an offset mount as well for the older trucks. Did they also move the motor mounts on the original swapped truck? Looks like they chose the much more difficult method of install ?, anyway GLWS. Would be cooler to see it in your rig but i think you'll find a good home for it fairly easily at that price.

Interesting, offset mounts? I know when I swapped in a 4m40 to my first gen, there was no way to use the original mounts at al;l as the enigne needed to be moved about 4 inches forward and the old mounts were hitting the downpipe stud. Guessing it's different on a second gen?

as for the engine, this is a stupid good deal. I literally just dropped about 3200 on a pallet coming from the uk with a transmission.s ome alters and starters and drive shafts and other misc bits for a manual conversion on my 4m40. Finding one with the twin sticks is even rarer. I would have hopped on this in a heartbeat if I didnt spend way too much cash on the other trans.

the vac pump should be bolted to the timing cover unless they removed it

Toasty

Interesting, offset mounts? I know when I swapped in a 4m40 to my first gen, there was no way to use the original mounts at al;l as the enigne needed to be moved about 4 inches forward and the old mounts were hitting the downpipe stud. Guessing it's different on a second gen?

On the Gen 2 you can just install the crossmember backwards and it will align the drivetrain for the Diesel and gas 4 cylinder engines, Interesting note is that there are also offset trans mounts for the Gen 2 available OEM.

sure thats not for a 4d56? I was under the impression that the 4d56 4 cylinder and v6 mounts are in the same spot on the frame, while the 4m40 were forward, and of course body lift etc..?

sMy only guess id the mounts are farther forward on a second gen if thats the case? Although the 4d56 swb pajero I pulled it out of also had the engine mounts cut and moved.

Here is the first gen, There is no way flipping the trans cross member could fix this issue. you can see where the v6 mounts were.

Last edited:

Toasty

sure thats not for a 4d56? I was under the impression that the 4d56 4 cylinder and v6 mounts are in the same spot on the frame, while the 4m40 were forward, and of course body lift etc..?

sMy only guess id the mounts are farther forward on a second gen if thats the case? Although the 4d56 swb pajero I pulled it out of also had the engine mounts cut and moved.

Here is the first gen, There is no way flipping the trans cross member could fix this issue. you can see where the v6 mounts were.

Yeah, so on the Gen 1 it's a bit different. The 4D55 engines are directly in the same location as the 4G54 engines, they moved the mounts for the 6G72. What i don't know is if the 4D56 got updated brackets to land on the V6 frame mount location or if they continued with the 4G location, it seems those later trucks had a lot of the V6 updates. I've never seen one in person to know but i have swapped the 4D55 into a 4G54 truck and helped swap a 6G74 into a 4G truck. The Gen 2 definitely seems more modular the way they built it, with the flippable crossmember it just happens to line up the 4 cylinder to the motor mount locations. A guy i knew tried it on his Gen 2 4M40 swap and it just happened to align his drivetrain mounts allowing a full bolt in JDM engine, trans and driveshafts. I gave it a try with my '94 RS swapping a 4G64 into a 6G72 truck, of course i learned this AFTER i had already made adapter plates to go from the 6G to the 4G. I also didn't have JDM 4 cylinder drive shafts so i had to make my own.

Side note, putting the big diesel into the Gen 1 I had the same issue you're describing. Except i helped swap the Toyota 1kz into a Gen 1 which is very similar to the 4M40.

JamesW

Adventurer
That looks like the vacuum pump is on it, is the guy mounted just to the left of the power steering pump, I'm not sure why there was a different one being used.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

ah makes more sense. I didnt do the swap from 4d56 to 4m40 on the secong gen pajero I had, which is now charlie norths mivec swap build rig. They did cut the original mounts off and weld some new mounts in on that. it was a pretty terrible swap job though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles