Painting a G

JCH4

Observer
Has anyone every done a color change on a G Wagen? I am still on the hunt for a good stock 280GE or 300GE in white but realize that I will most likely need to find the right vehicle in the condition I want and then paint it. I am usually against changing the color but would like any input as to what this will entail and advice. I noticed the inside windscreen is painted and the inside doors so I know I will have my work ahead of me.

Scott Brady

Founder
We are going through this currently and getting quotes. They want big coin to properly paint a G. The least expensive quote I have is $5,000, which includes some rust repair at the b-pillar.

JCH4

Observer
Scott, in regard to the quotes, do they plan on taking off door panels, dash, etc to paint or just tape off? Do you plan to leave the engine bay its current color? I am attempting to factor in the price for a color change with purchase price. I have changed the color on a Series IIA before but there is not much interior and Series (other than rusted nuts and bolt) come apart with relative ease.

Scott Brady

Founder
It includes the door areas, etc., anything visible. It does not include the engine compartment. The g we have is a really dark blue, and we are considering the dark grey that Karl's truck is or silver.

snyder.hunter

Adventurer
It includes the door areas, etc., anything visible. It does not include the engine compartment. The g we have is a really dark blue, and we are considering the dark grey that Karl's truck is or silver.

Opal Black is a beautiful color, if this is the color you are speaking of. We have a 95 G320 in Opal Black - we would never change the color

Scott Brady

Founder
I like these two colors.

AMG_21.jpg

And Karl's
attachment.php

Attachments

• J8_ (1).jpg
    J8_ (1).jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 284

JCH4

Observer
I really want one in white or paint it white. White makes a big difference on the Southeastern Coast. There was a good reason LRs and some LCs roofs were painted white. The early grey and dark green are good also.

Actually, the G featured in the most recent Overland Journal is exactly what I am looking for as far as simple, limited mods, white exterior and good interior.

JCH4

Observer
you think youve outsmarted me... but im patient.... rust will claim yours in due time.... and youll be begging me to take it off your hands!

muuuuuhahahahahaha!

Has anyone used or had success with Waxoxyl on the Gs to prevent rust?

Scott Brady

Founder
On the G, it is this goofy B-pillar issue on the body. The frame will probably last 10,000 years. I have a section about six inches long on both sides, both b-pillars that needs to be repaired. We will do that this summer.

zimm

Expedition Leader
i just got a free sample of FLUID FILM from a fella that was giving away samples on MUD. i cant wait to give it a shot.

scott, can you post up pics of this rot? i wanna pay close attention to what youve got on mine, since ima north easterner.

i agree about the frame. jesus. when i first crawled under it after i got it, me and the neighbor were marveling at the build. (it was a tender man moment under there).

i was a cruiser guy, and this is the first rig that i would say is actually worth a rebuild, as opposed to buying low mileage used when the DT wears out. its a true mil-spec motor pool chassis meant for a refit.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles