Paint or other coating options

rruff

Explorer
I thought the fact that it was 2 part would allow me to get away with a thicker coat... but there is apparently a lot of evaporation that needs to happen too.

I painted a bike a few years ago with 1 part PU. Against recommendations I mixed it 50/50 with mineral spirits and wiped it on. It worked great. Did a bunch of coats (8?). Took a couple weeks to really get hard... probably should have waited longer between coats. That was Total Boat Wet Edge.

I think you are right about adding another thin coat on the splotchy areas. Not sure I'll have enough left after painting the door though, and this stuff only comes in gallons. In the grand scheme of things though, another $115 is a pittance.

NOPEC

"In the grand scheme of things though, another $115 is a pittance."
I have used very similar words around here with somewhat limited success, splotchy might be a good description.....:)

I bet another complete coat will really improve things. Cheers and looking forward to the pictures of the final success!

rruff

Explorer
This is by far the worst section. I got a lot fibers in it and tried to pick them out, then "fix" the paint. Obviously it didn't work!

CamperPaint_1[1].jpg

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Just pointing out the obvious...

But you are flirting with disaster changing the chemistry of an otherwise (likely) decent product.
I've done it before myself, with varying success.

There is simply nothing quite like a legit coating (like Monstaliner or Raptor) applied as designed.

rruff

Explorer
I think you might have misunderstood... I didn't change the chemistry of the camper paint. That was when I painted a bike with another product.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Sorry, but it wasnt (entirely) directed at your issues.
More in general, with regards to the discussion about adding (whatever) to paint/coating

NOPEC

This is by far the worst section. I got a lot fibers in it and tried to pick them out, then "fix" the paint. Obviously it didn't work!

View attachment 697701
I don't know, sure doesn't look too bad to me. I am sure a couple of extra coats of your product without attempts to add texture during application, will be the ticket. Nice looking camper!

rruff

Explorer
I don't know, sure doesn't look too bad to me. I am sure a couple of extra coats of your product without attempts to add texture during application, will be the ticket. Nice looking camper!
It certainly doesn't pass the 10ft test... maybe 100ft or 1000... I wonder what a nice coating of dirt would do? :unsure: It won't look that good anyway because of the seam overlaps. Kinda surprising how obvious a .5mm (.02") change in thickness is.

NOPEC

It certainly doesn't pass the 10ft test... maybe 100ft or 1000... I wonder what a nice coating of dirt would do? :unsure: It won't look that good anyway because of the seam overlaps. Kinda surprising how obvious a .5mm (.02") change in thickness is.
Surprised you didn't feather the overlaps, especially with such a small height change. You mentioned Total Boat products previously, their two part fairing compound worked extremely well for my project which had way bigger jumps. You still could..............:)

rruff

Explorer
I did fare it, but not nearly enough. Also on the left side of the camper I have many vertical seams (30" wide cloth)... that was supposed to go on the inside, not the outside. I forgot when I was assembling the pieces. It would have taken about 6 hrs of work and help to take it all apart and flip that panel over, and I wasn't in the mood to bother.

When I started my goal was to make it look cheap enough to avoid the attention of thieves and nice enough to avoid the attention of cops. I think I'm in that range... :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior