Paint for bare metal trailer and frame.

co4wheel

I am building a off road trailer from scratch. I have painted lots of things with rattle can type stuff and it's ok but never really great. I have never used Steel-It and it comes highly recommended but it just seems like another rattle can event. I was looking at steel it Epoxy Primer but it requires 36 grit or recommended is sandblasting which I can't do. I want something very durable but don't want to spray in my garage. I can't have all that overspray. I was going to use Monstaliner which is a roll on bedliner. I was willing to spray on some sort of rattle can two part primer if that works. But I think I need something 2 part to meet my wants. Basically, durability it key. It's a trailer so I don't care that much about rolling type finish. I never used a HVLP spray gun. So I don't know about overspray with that. Seems like a lot of trouble IF i can find something that rolls on. If I knew the two part Steel-it epoxy primer would adhere with out sandblasting I would do that. Maybe a restorer type tool and the course disk. Looking for suggestions.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 4.44.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 4.44.37 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 22

NatersXJ6

Explorer
It shouldn’t be all that hard to find a local sandblast place to brush blast a trailer frame for a couple hundred bucks and powder coat a zinc primer on it. After that you can brush on RustOleum or POR-15 and be good for a long time

opp1

pro-15 is bump your head high and price and it's basically designed to attach to rust you can put it on new . But it your money
to toss

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
POR-15 if you want it to last. Spray painting requires special equipment. You can apply it with a brush; paint outside (outgases isocyanates) with a breeze. One of my projects has lasted 30 years of hard use.

With any coating, prep is 90% of it lasting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles