Paging fellow Yetis...

BigJ

Observer
Hello all. I am looking for a project. I need a hobby and I really want to start wrenching again (been 20 years since I last built anything). No rush here... want to do this right from the get go.

Short term goal is to run what the usual rags and books would rate as "hard" desert narrow day trails, but also want to keep an eye on the overnight/multi day possibilities (subject to my wife's health and her continued improvements, gods willing). Here's the thing; I'm 6'9" tall, 320lbs with stupid broad shoulders (former athlete with a still relatively athletic build; I wear a size 54 suit in the US and 38inseam jeans, if that helps to know). In other words... I'm not a small guy. I have never found a manual I can work for more than a few minutes without serious discomfort, so maybe an auto trans is required? And obviously, having a seat that can move back so my knees aren't in the steering wheel, clearance for my head so its not bouncing off a roll bar all day (like in a modern Jeep, for example)... yada yada yada.

Long story short: my question is, what do my fellow Yetis drive that also accommodate our freakish height/size? And/or what have you modified, and how to suit? I'm open to any ideas and I appreciate your time and feedback. Thanks!

Last edited:

lilkia

Gmt800 tahoe or suburban. Im just under 6'3" and I also have stupidly broad shoulders (54 long jacket). Its a bit of a curse but nice when you need to lift stupid heavy things or heavy stupid people. Theres plenty of room for a big guy in either of the above.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
We love our 2003 Yukon XL that we bought 3 years ago from the original owner, it's the heavy half ton version and tows our boat very comfortably, the multi-function heated seats are sweet after a cold day on the boat or out hunting. That being said we will be selling it and going back to another truck with slide in camper, if we can find a nice one we are leaning toward a 03-06 gmt800 heavy half ton because they are just that good, but chances are slim we can find one that meets my standard.

BigJ

Observer
Thanks guys. My daily driver is a bench seat Tundra that's mildly (and properly) lifted, has some good body/undercarriage protections etc. It does well on the wider trails and can handle some fairly aggressive washes/river beds. But its wide, and long, and again also my daily (need it for work). By definition, all those limits are keeping us away from a good portion of the available 4x4'ing here in the desert. My hope is I can find something else, that I can still fit in, that's narrower (and perhaps with a shorter wheelbase) opening up adventures currently closed off to us.

Keep the suggestions coming. I appreciate all the ideas.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
Thanks guys. My daily driver is a bench seat Tundra that's mildly (and properly) lifted, has some good body/undercarriage protections etc. It does well on the wider trails and can handle some fairly aggressive washes/river beds. But its wide, and long, and again also my daily (need it for work). By definition, all those limits are keeping us away from a good portion of the available 4x4'ing here in the desert. My hope is I can find something else, that I can still fit in, that's narrower (and perhaps with a shorter wheelbase) opening up adventures currently closed off to us.

Keep the suggestions coming. I appreciate all the ideas.
The jeep tj and lj have quit a bit of headroom once you get in, but you might hit your head getting in and out. If your not needing a back seat you could move the front seat back. I have a 36" inseam and plenty of leg room, alot of people under 6 ft raise the seats

twodollars

I've had good fit in late 90's and square body burbs, but made brackets to move driver seat back and tilt the front up. I'm 6'8" at 290lb. My current daily driver is a 2005 Durango limited, and with the seat all the way back it's got ok legroom. Not as wide as a burb though.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
I'd look at a GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon. A little narrower than a Tundra and shorter wheelbase. I have found mine to be very maneuverable in tight places. Keep the lift low, a 285 tire seems to work well on these. Good shocks and possibly a rear locker upgrade if you drive with a heavy foot. If you understand how the "Gov-Lock" works you can easily avoid situations that will scatter it.

I prefer the 99-02 trucks but I understand why most prefer the 03-07 GMT800's. They have a double din radio opening, dual zone climate control, etc. I like the simple
old style junk myself...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles