Packing a family a 4 into a jeep or 4runner

nwoods

Expedition Leader
As my family grew I struggled with this problem as well. I started out by myself in a 2 door XJ rock crawler with room for days. Now I have three boys from 6-14, a wife and a dog. The JT has been our latest solution to the make-it-fit problem. ... That's how we do and it works for us.
Just curious, how well does it work to have all 6 of you in the RTT?

Mashurst

Adventurer
Just curious, how well does it work to have all 6 of you in the RTT?
I kind of don't love RTTs in general but the 5 of us fit just fine in this one. The dog stays in the bed of the truck. It is the biggest one I could find and we are all kind of friendly and like to snuggle. For trips where we are on the move every day, it gets the pick but the big bell tent is way nicer if we are going to be spending time in camp at all.20210729_082047 (Medium).jpg20211020_084449 (Medium).jpg

While not cheap, you might seriously consider a hitch mounted swing out, such as those from Dirtcom or Rig'd
- https://dirtcomusa.com/products/hitch-mounted-high-clearance-tire-carrier-swing-out
- https://www.rigdsupply.com/products/rigd-ultraswing-multi-fit-spare-tire-hitch-carrier

Also, you might consider the Land Rover dog barrier accessory unit to divide up the rear cargo space from the backseat occupants. I really liked mine:
IMG_3229-L.jpg

IMG_3235-L.jpg

IMG_3218-L.jpg
I do have a tire swingout and I mount a five gallon water jug on it also. I don't really want to mount anymore on it though.

Yes, I should have mentioned I did a similar idea to the dog barrier. I used a stretchy cargo net behind the rear seats and up to the ceiling. Its imperative to keep the upper shelf items from crashing down on the boys in the backseat.

As my family grew I struggled with this problem as well. I started out by myself in a 2 door XJ rock crawler with room for days. Now I have three boys from 6-14, a wife and a dog. The JT has been our latest solution to the make-it-fit problem. We have done a lot of great trips in it but it's only built for moderate trails. I think it would take 37 or so to do the Sierra trails in one because of the long break-over and big butt. The bed cap is fantastic though. The side doors make getting to things really workable. Our fridge is at the front on one side with no need for a slide. Most times we can just open the side door and get to it. When we are packed heavy there may be some bags on top to push off or pull out but for most trips, there is a bit of extra room.
View attachment 726646View attachment 726647View attachment 726648View attachment 726649
Anyway, That's how we do and it works for us.
Wow! Thats a lot of stuff and people! Good to see your taking advantage of what the vehicle has to offer!

While I like the idea of camper shells in general, they don't tend to fair to well on the sierra trails. I've seen a number of tops, roofs, and rear side windows destroyed by vehicles leaning into trees. I have to pay special attention to the side windows in my 4runner as they wrap up and over the top. I'm sure there days are numbered!

I do think a soft topper camper shell might work. It could at least bend out of the way if needed.

I think once you've exhausted the SUV potential candidates, your next move is towards 4dr pickups. I keep eyeing 4dr tacomas and gladiators. The tacomas have a shorter wheelbase, but IFS to deal with. Seems like people are making them work though and I'm good with a torch.

Kevin

Mashurst

Adventurer
Wow! Thats a lot of stuff and people! Good to see your taking advantage of what the vehicle has to offer!

While I like the idea of camper shells in general, they don't tend to fair to well on the sierra trails. I've seen a number of tops, roofs, and rear side windows destroyed by vehicles leaning into trees. I have to pay special attention to the side windows in my 4runner as they wrap up and over the top. I'm sure there days are numbered!
I have one palm size dent in mine that says you are correct about it being an issue. It is a stainless top, so it mostly just pounded back out. Also, I didn't have the rack and RTT on at the time of the incident. The top is very strong with a roof load of something like 700lbs. I think if I were worried about leaning it on a tree wheeling, a halo like the one I built for the tent would do the trick just fine to keep it out of the trees and transfer the load from the thin sheet to the strong points.
I've seen a few fiberglass jeep/runner stops take a beating on the con and like trails so nothing is perfect I guess.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I know its been awhile and I thought I should update this thread. Actually ran across this thread again on a recent search of the yet again the same subject. Also, not picking on vtsoundman, but his post ironically is exactly the problem, I am going rock crawling/hard trails with my family. This is the only way to see places like the Rubicon, Dusy Ershim, and a handfull of Sierra high mountain lakes. If I want to take my family and have them experience these places, it means bringing one vehicle that is capable and all our gear has to fit in it for however long we are there. You can't just send the wife down to the grocery store for milk and eggs.

One of our favorite spots to go is Coyote Lake. Its a beautiful high mountain lake. It takes about 4hrs of crawling to get in there assuming you don't have any issues on the way. What's nice is that it is hard enough that most folks don't actually go all the way so its been relatively easy to find a campsite even in july and august, while everything down by Shaver lake is booked for the whole summer. The trail isn't the hardest trail by any means, but it has several tight sections. I can think of one spot in particular where a JKU on tons and 40s barely fits between the volkswagen sized rock on the left and the undercut econoline van sized rock on the right.

I did finally build a fridge slide which worked great for my dusy trip. I then built a shelf on top of that to help split the storage a bit and its worked out really well. The only thing I don't like is having to reach over the tailgate and crawl back under the shelf to get behind the fridge. The fridge is meant to go in a JKU or JLU and fit up against the back seat. In my 4runner I still have about a foot of space between it and the rear seat as an example of the storage space difference between a jeep and 4runner. The shelf has allowed me to stick all the bedding and clothes up top and get them off of the food containers. I can now stop on the trail and slide the fridge out or pull out food containers without unpacking everything else. I'm using a couple of Husky storage containers for storing food and camping equipment now.

I also built a roof rack for light stuff like chairs that can stay outside and don't weigh too much. I have an inflatable boat to bring this year and might stick it up top too.

I've dealt with trailers on the trail and I don't want to deal with that again. Too many bent axles. I think trailers are fine for easier trails, dirt roads, or most overlanding type trips, but not for rock crawling.

Kevin
I dig the fridge and the roofrack. Nice to see people still building their own kit instead of rolling out the creditcard.

Mashurst

Adventurer
I'm using a couple of Husky storage containers for storing food and camping equipment now.

Kevin
How are they holding up? I have not found anything I like yet. We used an old set of those yellow top black bins from Lowes for a bit over a year before they broke and then the replacement set broke the first trip out. I got a fancy one from Frontrunner with clips and it seems like it will hold up but it's not big enough to hold kitchen stuff. I've looked at the husky stuff but it does not seem much better than the black bins in terms of build. I would love to hear differently.

WSS

Rock Stacker
I do have a tire swingout and I mount a five gallon water jug on it also. I don't really want to mount anymore on it though.

Yes, I should have mentioned I did a similar idea to the dog barrier. I used a stretchy cargo net behind the rear seats and up to the ceiling. Its imperative to keep the upper shelf items from crashing down on the boys in the backseat.

Swingouts are awesome! We have done 4 people in our TJ, very cozy.

IMG_7412(1).JPG

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I dig the fridge and the roofrack. Nice to see people still building their own kit instead of rolling out the creditcard.

LOL say the guys with a bandsaw, drill press, tubing bender, multiple dies, 2 welders, torch, plasma, 6-7 grinders, 50+ clamps (you can never have enough clamps) and all the little bits it takes to live a fabrication hobby…

Built not bought… but at least it’s custom! I got to decide where the compromises were!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke