Packed ARB fridge pics?

INSAYN

Adventurer
I'm looking at maybe getting myself an ARB fridge/freezer for my kayak camp trailer.
Looks like the 37 Quart and 63 Quart might be the only two I can use inside the trailer, as my lid is just a tad over 17" above the floor of the trailer.
Both of these are advertised to be just under 17" tall.

I realize that fridge capacity doesn't have to be quite a much as a normal cooler due to the lack of ice used for the cooling.
However, without having either of these ARB units in front of me, I am not picturing the available volume of them for some time.

If anyone has any loaded pics of the 37 Q or 63 Q to give me an idea of what can be packed them, I would really love to see it.

Been using an Igloo marine cooler for years, but not sure what it's volume is as there are no markings on it anymore (if ever was).

Thanks guys (gals)! :cool:

Attachments

• P8170164.jpg
    P8170164.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 100

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I bought an Engel 40 quart, and last night as I was packing for a trip I was wondering how I'm going to fill all that space...guess I can always put more beer in. But I am traveling solo, too, packing for a fambly might be a different story.

WOODY2

Adventurer
You might take the dimensions from their website and build a cardboard mockup and practice loading Tupperware and whatever else you take. How someone else loads and what they load my be of little use to you, I'd mock one up.

INSAYN

Adventurer
Thanks... I guess?

I don't drink much beer, and certainly not so much that 70+ cans would be my reason to need an ARB.

Was hoping someone here had one of these two ARB's or equivalent sized coolers and might have a minute to help a guy out.
These are not the cheapest things around, and I don't have a local store that has them on display.

BigSwede, that was my concern too. I mostly use this trailer myself on 1-4 day kayak fishing trips to the ocean, so filling a large cooler for my needs may be the biggest issue. Looks I might be leaning towards the 37 Quart, huh.

Woody, the cardboard mock up sounds like a great idea and I'll give that a whirl.

Explorer
Sorry no pics, but:

The 37 will be plenty for just you and someone else for a week.

The 63 would be big even for a family of four for a week.

I use a 35 qt for my family of four and it suits us fine. a 45qt would be better for storing more drinks, but I just keep a few beers in it and replace them every night. A 63qt would be for a serious chef or alcoholic...

Oh, and save your cardboard mock up - its handy to take to the store when you go shopping so you know what will fit in the fridge.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
I have a 43 and a 64. The footprint of the 64 is 31 x 19 inches. The footprint of the 43 is 24 x 17 inches. And both are over 17" tall. And remember they need additional air space around the cooling unit end. Internally, the 43 holds more than enough for me to do a 1+ week trip in the boonies. If it's just you, a 63 would be extreme overkill.

INSAYN

Adventurer
Here's another question regarding the freezer ability of it. I use frozen water in Gaterade bottles in my soft cooler in the back of my kayak to keep my fish cool in the warmer hours of fishing. How well does the ARB refreeze water in bottles? Is it reasonable to expect the water bottles to be frozen solid over night while plugged into shore power at a campground?

Explorer
Here's another question regarding the freezer ability of it. I use frozen water in Gaterade bottles in my soft cooler in the back of my kayak to keep my fish cool in the warmer hours of fishing. How well does the ARB refreeze water in bottles? Is it reasonable to expect the water bottles to be frozen solid over night while plugged into shore power at a campground?

I'm not sure about the big bottles, but the 20oz bottles would be pretty frozen.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Both my Edgestar and Engel will maintain temps below zero, no matter what they're plugged into. I imagine an ARB would do the same. I sometimes use both as freezers when I'm at home, and they work great. I have also inadvertently frozen things when I'm in the backcountry.

infra

n00b
The 37qt would be great for one person, 50qt great for 2 people, and the 63qt good for enough food for 3+ ppl for a week. I have the 50qt and I mostly travel by myself. I find that with the 50qt if I am doing a solo trip I need to fill empty space in the fridge with drinks.

This picture does not show it fully packed, more like only 1/3 full. I am able to fit 2 dozen extra large eggs in the fruit/produce section along with a tub of cream cheese and a tub of butter, I also put my mustard and ketchup up there as well as packaged cheese. Down in the main compartment I put the bulk of my food, lunch meats, steak, chicken, brats, dogs, bacon, sausage, and you get the drift. Hope that helps

attachment.php

WOODY2

Adventurer
You might take the dimensions from their website and build a cardboard mockup and practice loading Tupperware and whatever else you take. How someone else loads and what they load my be of little use to you, I'd mock one up.
What I meant was do a mockup of the interior size.

INSAYN

Adventurer
The 37qt would be great for one person, 50qt great for 2 people, and the 63qt good for enough food for 3+ ppl for a week. I have the 50qt and I mostly travel by myself. I find that with the 50qt if I am doing a solo trip I need to fill empty space in the fridge with drinks.

This picture does not show it fully packed, more like only 1/3 full. I am able to fit 2 dozen extra large eggs in the fruit/produce section along with a tub of cream cheese and a tub of butter, I also put my mustard and ketchup up there as well as packaged cheese. Down in the main compartment I put the bulk of my food, lunch meats, steak, chicken, brats, dogs, bacon, sausage, and you get the drift. Hope that helps

The one pictured is the 50qt correct? If, so that is a lot of room with much potential. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke