29. Tools.................................16
30. Repair and Maintenance.........18
31. Spare Parts.........................19
31.1. Propane System Spare Parts...19

Version 1.0

Version History
V 1.0……….Initial release

1. Introduction

This pack list is based on unsupported global travel in developing countries.

Developed countries have most of the resources available in the U.S.A. and Europe, so fewer of the spare parts on this list are required.

This pack list is based on full time overland travel for one year (six months in the U.S.A., five months in South America, one month for shipping).

This mode of travel is fully independent, meaning all sleeping, cooking, showering, repairs, etc. are performed in/on the vehicle.

Everyone’s experiences, requirements, vehicle, destinations, etc. are unique, so no one list could ever be universally applicable. Your unique needs will determine your own list. This list is intended as a starting point for your planning and testing purposes.

Full document is here: http://www.hackneys.com/travel/docs/oevpacklist.pdf

I welcome feedback and additions.

Last edited:

eugene

Explorer
Very comprehensive list, I want to see your vehicle loaded with everything :)

I try to standardize when possible to eliminate items and allow more redundancy. For example I won't buy a camera, gps, radio, etc that won't run on AA's. This way i need fewer chargers and spares. Going by your lost for example, you have two cameras, a pair of radios and gps, though you do mention AA's for the GPS, so there are 4 chargers that could be eliminated (or more if you have both 120v and 12 chargers).

You have method hand soap but not dish soap, try the method dish soap, they have the 'naked' as well. Also replace the windex wipes with the method 'best in glass' as windex isn't great for vehicle windows, it leaves a nasty ammonia trail behind.

With tools, do you need the inch stuff. I have one set of inch/sae tools in my box in the garage for the around the house stuff but my truck only carries metric. I've found that for the rare occasion I might need inch stuff on the road the adjustable wrench or a metric tool fits close enough. Anything I build for or add on to the truck I'm careful to buy metric bolts so I've standardized there and it makes me able to carry fewer spare parts since I only need to carry metric parts. Look for the Ace and true value hardware stores, they carry a good selection of metric stuff. If I buy simple things like lights I replace all the mounting bolts with metric before I put them on.

IMHO leave off the wine carriers and such, thats too much of a specific presonal preference, if you feel the need to drink then bring it but don't make it a necessity.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
eugene said:
Very comprehensive list, I want to see your vehicle loaded with everything :)

Some shots of the rig loaded with all of this stuff are here: http://www.hackneys.com/gallery/v/travel/

My adivice is to do as I say, not as I did: Bring less stuff. :)

eugene said:
I try to standardize when possible to eliminate items and allow more redundancy. For example I won't buy a camera, gps, radio, etc that won't run on AA's. This way i need fewer chargers and spares. Going by your lost for example, you have two cameras, a pair of radios and gps, though you do mention AA's for the GPS, so there are 4 chargers that could be eliminated (or more if you have both 120v and 12 chargers).

I think you have a great strategy with that overall approach. We have some equipment that requires proprietary batteries, such as cameras, so we cannot effectively eliminate all chargers. When we traveled by motorcycle I built all of our systems around two power supplies/chargers. Unfortunately, we have a plethora of power supplies and chargers with us in this form of travel.

eugene said:
You have method hand soap but not dish soap, try the method dish soap, they have the 'naked' as well. Also replace the windex wipes with the method 'best in glass' as windex isn't great for vehicle windows, it leaves a nasty ammonia trail behind.

These are great suggestions. I will pass this on to my wife who, fortunately for me, manages all of that type of procurement and utilization.

We have security film on the interior of our windows so we cannot use anything but mild soap and water on them.

eugene said:
With tools, do you need the inch stuff. I have one set of inch/sae tools in my box in the garage for the around the house stuff but my truck only carries metric. I've found that for the rare occasion I might need inch stuff on the road the adjustable wrench or a metric tool fits close enough. Anything I build for or add on to the truck I'm careful to buy metric bolts so I've standardized there and it makes me able to carry fewer spare parts since I only need to carry metric parts. Look for the Ace and true value hardware stores, they carry a good selection of metric stuff. If I buy simple things like lights I replace all the mounting bolts with metric before I put them on.

If you read my "design parameters / requirements" and subsequent "lessons learned / regrets / If I had it to do over" section of the build site you will see that one of my primary goals was to have a metric only rig. Unfortunately, that goal was uniformly ignored by just about every subcontractor on the job. Plus, we built around a North American made (Canada) camper that uses a lot of inch connectors. Consequently, and very unfortunately, we've got a lot of both types of connectors.

Because we travel overseas, primarily in developing countries, I cannot rely on local supplies for anything, including hardware. I also cannot risk rounding off a nut or bolt by using a metric tool on an inch connector. Thus, I'm stuck carrying tools for both connector types.

eugene said:
IMHO leave off the wine carriers and such, thats too much of a specific presonal preference, if you feel the need to drink then bring it but don't make it a necessity.

Understood. I think the same thing can be said about the entertainment equipment. Not everyone wants or needs an iPod or flat screen TV. I don't even watch TV, so it's optional for me.

This list reflects our own, personal, experience, vehicle, operational area, goals, requirements, etc. As stated in the header, it is meant to be used as a starting point.

I think everyone's final list will be very, very unique.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior