P38 on 33s

spikemd

Explorer
After blowing out one tire and a sidewall puncture in another on my trip to Death Valley last week, I got some new tires today for my 2001 P38 Range Rover.

America's Tire provided awesome service by giving me credit for the blown tires even though I bought them 3 years ago. I went up a few sizes from 31s to 33s and bought 5 BFG KM2s in 255/85 r16s.

I need to take off the front mudflaps as they rub slightly on full turn but other than that with my lift, it looks like no issues. I am running RTE3 springs front and rear. We'll see how they look when stuffed on full articulation.

(I haven't even had time to wash the P38 after DV)
p38_33s.jpg

Before on the 31s:
p38_31s.jpg

Front tire:
p38_33_front.jpg

Rear tire:
p38_33_rear.jpg

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Nice! I just put a set of the same tire &size on my D2(same factory wheel no less) and am already extremely happy with the decision. I was never into wide tires.

chris snell

Adventurer
Looks like those are going to tear into your fender wells as soon as the truck articulates. Have you checked for clearance?

spikemd

Explorer
The mudflaps will be removed this weekend. After talking to others there may be some trimming of the inside liner, but a few have run this size before without too many issues. I will test out the articulation soon. I am a bit worried about gearing but I will know more as I drive and use them.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
The mudflaps will be removed this weekend. After talking to others there may be some trimming of the inside liner, but a few have run this size before without too many issues. I will test out the articulation soon. I am a bit worried about gearing but I will know more as I drive and use them.

Also, axle and diff upgrades may be required . . .

spikemd

Explorer
Ideally, I would put Truetracs in front and rear, but they are a bit spendy. I haven't heard of many issues with the P38 axles but that may be due to not many people wheeling them very hard.

The diffs in the P38 are the same as post-2005 110 Defenders but I may need to gear down. I'll will put some miles on her and then decide if it is necessary.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Your rear diff in particular will be fine as you have a 4-pin center. Tough to break an axle shaft with an open diff unless you are really flogging it.

spikemd

Explorer
cool tires,and cooler service. do they usually offer that kind of support? was it substantial?

With their warranty, they will fix or replace a tire for free prorated for mileage. But the guy I dealt with gave me a full refund on the two blown sidewall tires which I then put toward the KM2s. Very generous considering I had them for 3 years and 25k miles.

Of course, I bought the warranty again with the new tires. Well worth the extra $30 a tire.

I also bring back the vehicle regularly for rotation and balancing.

palacosfr

I think that this could be just the right size for the P38.
How did those tires work out? any pics on full articulation?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Ideally, I would put Truetracs in front and rear, but they are a bit spendy. I haven't heard of many issues with the P38 axles but that may be due to not many people wheeling them very hard.

The diffs in the P38 are the same as post-2005 110 Defenders but I may need to gear down. I'll will put some miles on her and then decide if it is necessary.

The front CVs are the weak points when you go to larger wheels and lockers. We eventually had to back down from the big tires because there was no aftermarket heavy duty CV available unless you wanted to do an axle swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94