P38 Custom Aluminum Radiator

spikemd

Explorer
I finally received and installed my custom aluminum radiator after a few set backs. I won't bore you with the details, but the good news, is that it finally is in the truck. I will be filling it up tomorrow morning with coolant and firing her up.

It is a work of art with very nice welding all around. One of the most important features for me, is the metal nipple. They are notorious for cracking which happened to mine by the previous owner. He 'fixed' it which held for some time, but not in the heat of Death Valley in 4-low. It started leaking and I needed a new radiator. I have heard bad things about the cheap replacement radiators not lasting and the OEM radiators being quite expensive. Discussions on the forums happened and Scotty of SoCalUsedParts for P38s secured a deal with a custom shop to produce an all-aluminum radiator.

The result is stunning! A work of art. The welds make you drool and it is solid craftsmanship. An thankfully, it has an all metal nipple! The shop expects a 30% increase in cooling capacity, but that will be hard to determine right away. On first glance, counting the rows, this one has 67 vs. the OEM at 58. Plus the top and bottom brackets are all aluminum for better heat dissipation when compared with the plastic.

Take a look:

Pics:

rr_radiator_flat1.jpg

rr_radiator_flat2.jpg

My favorite part... the indestructible NIPPLE!!! :Wow1:
rr_radiator_nipple.jpg

rr_radiator_sbs_flat.jpg

rr_radiator_sbs_tall.jpg

I had to tap the drain plug for my post-thermostat sensor: (M12 1.5 thread). The next batch will have this made at the shop. This is covered with my Southdown steering guard after installation.
rr_radiator_sensor.jpg

Finally installed!
rr_radiator_install.jpg

(yes, there is an old hose attached to the top inlet. I poured distlled water through to flush any residual metal flakes from tapping the drain plug)

They can be ordered on Scotty's site and he has both Bosch(99-02) and GEMS (96-98):
http://www.socalusedroverparts.com/product_p/9d-28395-01.htm

If you have been thinking about replacing your radiator or want to upgrade, this is a radiator worth buying. I am not affiliated, just a happy P38 owner with an aluminum radiator!

atancreti

Observer
What was the price?? I paid $600 for a new one for my D I.... Just about killed me when I heard it was that much.

spikemd

Explorer
Based on what Scotty told me, he is selling the first 5 for only $450, which is what I paid. :wings:

I jumped on it and am very pleased with the radiator. It is very high quality from a custom shop. Scotty has 'exclusive rights' to the design from that shop and both the 96-98 and 99-02 designs. The difference is the top hose is on opposite sides for the later models. The price may go up later b/c at that price, he is not making any money.

1997range

Hi there, its been 7 + years since this thread started , this is exactly the radiator I am looking for but " SoCalUsedParts " website no longer exists or where can I find Scotty? Thank you. any help is appreciated

Last edited:

REDROVER

Explorer
Call Rods radiator in Redding California,
Let them build you copper radiator that has dimple core, that’s called overkill;)

All the H1 Hummer guys do that I have got one too, work quality is top notch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles