OzTent Owners, Carry Bag Question

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Everytime I put my RV-5 back in the bag I cuss about how if the bag were just a little bigger it would be so much nicer. Instead I'm wrestling it back in the bag, squeezing it together so I can drag the zipper 4 inches, squeeze a little more and drag the zipper...... Having 2 people helps, but sometimes I use the tent by myself.

Everytime I think I should give ATC a jingle and see what a new bag would cost- my Oz bag has a split in the seam from the tent being forced into the bag so many times.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Everytime I put my RV-5 back in the bag I cuss about how if the bag were just a little bigger it would be so much nicer. Instead I'm wrestling it back in the bag, squeezing it together so I can drag the zipper 4 inches, squeeze a little more and drag the zipper...... Having 2 people helps, but sometimes I use the tent by myself.

Everytime I think I should give ATC a jingle and see what a new bag would cost- my Oz bag has a split in the seam from the tent being forced into the bag so many times.

Yeah, the round duffle bag with central zipper style of bag doesn't help or allow for extra room. The footlocker style with a lid and perimeter zipper would accommodate it much better (we custom make this style of bag for outfitter tents and stoves, etc.). Our USA/Mil-spec waxed canvas would be great for such a bag. The waxed canvas is tough, water resistant and can be retreated (think of mountain pack mules and military tents) for the life of the gear. And all our seams are double/tripled sewn and binding taped. The challenge would be its a heavy duty/heavy weight material. Given the size of a RV5 tent bag, an ATC custom canvas tent bag could add +/- 8 - 10 lbs versus 2-4 lbs for a 1000D Cordura Nylon bag. Good luck!

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I agree about making the bag a little larger . The bags most items come in ate so perfectly sized that it is always a challenge to get back in without major work. Why manufacturers don't make the bag over sized to make stowing the item easier. I know the nice tightly fitted bag has more visual appeal but are not very practical.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Yeah, the round duffle bag with central zipper style of bag doesn't help or allow for extra room. The footlocker style with a lid and perimeter zipper would accommodate it much better (we custom make this style of bag for outfitter tents and stoves, etc.). Our USA/Mil-spec waxed canvas would be great for such a bag. The waxed canvas is tough, water resistant and can be retreated (think of mountain pack mules and military tents) for the life of the gear. And all our seams are double/tripled sewn and binding taped. The challenge would be its a heavy duty/heavy weight material. Given the size of a RV5 tent bag, an ATC custom canvas tent bag could add +/- 8 - 10 lbs versus 2-4 lbs for a 1000D Cordura Nylon bag. Good luck!

The other option would be a "clamshell" style bag, similar to our Earthroamer toolbags. You have a central zipper that runs the full length of the bag from base to base and one piece handles that support the base of the bag. It opens like a .........clamshell, and give access to the entire interior of the bag making loading easier.

IMG_2834.JPG

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Can someone give me the measurements of their RV5 bag? Maybe some photos? I've got sometime at the end of this run and would like to run the numbers for such a replacement bag. Thanks!

ExplorerTom

Explorer
My bag happens to be empty because my tent is setup in my garage.

78" long (to the seams for the end panels)
20" high
12" wide at end panels (looks like a circle when viewed from the end- with tent in bag it looks more like an oval).

Hope this helps. I probably won't put it back in the bag until this weekend.

jmkoz

There is a manufacturer here in Australia (formerly in the US), Drifta, that is selling a larger and apparently improved bag for all sizes of Oztent plus a few other accessories. Lots of videos on their site on a whole range of stuff. I know that the products on eBay Australia as well - not sure about their shipping policy but with the exchange rate it might be viable for some of you.

Drifta Camping & 4WD

Hope this helps.

John

gsdog2

Observer
I have Drifta bags for my oztent bunkers...top quality, love the material and way better than the stock bags. I'll eventually get one for my rv5. Shipping is what it is to SoCal, but weigh that against good protection for a 1k tent. You wont be disappointed. Just stay home a Friday night and there's the shipping!

Correct, but now it's time to do something about it, instead of just tolerating it. Whether I get a one of a kind make or I can get someone to start making them, I will have a new bag for my tent!
The Drifta Bags out of Australia will ship flat rate and low cost.... check the details.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I had sent an email to Luke at Drifta concerning the possible fading of the bags. I was interested in the black as they make (at this time) 3 colors, black, OD and camo . All colours will fade eventually but for the brief time mine is exposed to the sun on the roof rack it probably will not make much difference.
Mostly I wanted a larger bag to leave my fly attached to the bag when I put it away. Their bags seem to have the room to do that.

krick3tt

Adventurer
If you look at the Drifta site and check their prices, keep in mind they are in Australian dollars not US.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
An RV-5 bag shipped to Colorado comes out to $234 AUD which converts to $166 USD.

Not bad.

My bag does have a small hole in it and is a royal PITA. Not having to struggle with that bag in the morning while packing up could be awesome. Keep in mind that I sometimes camp around 10,000 feet- hunching over while fighting with a bag..... I come up breathing hard sometimes.

XJINTX

Explorer
Sounds like we need a group buy from Drifta ;) Yep my RV2 bag made it less than 2 yrs before handles fell apart. Stored inside and travels inside but still like UV deteriorated them :(

krick3tt

Adventurer
USDExchange rate: $ 1 USD = $ 1.356 AUD

I ordered a bag for m y RV3 yesterday. Very interested to see what it looks like and how it performs.
Cost in AUD $221.00 AUD including shipping, so my cost $162.92 USD a reasonable price, I think.

I'll let you know how long to get here and how it really fits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles