OzTent Owners, Carry Bag Question

Ripper

Adventurer
Is yours falling apart? Cause mine sure is. After a couple multi week cross country trips, and normal use going to event and regular camp trips, the bag has seen better days. Faded, blown out seems, and random tears, having me wanting a new bag. It seems you can get a replacement from OzTent, but it will only last a couple years before another is needed.

I did find a company, but they are out of Australia and I can't image shipping would be cheap.

Is there enough interest for replacement bags if I were to contact a company known for making high quality gear? Let me know what you think.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Is yours falling apart? Cause mine sure is. After a couple multi week cross country trips, and normal use going to event and regular camp trips, the bag has seen better days. Faded, blown out seems, and random tears, having me wanting a new bag. It seems you can get a replacement from OzTent, but it will only last a couple years before another is needed.

I did find a company, but they are out of Australia and I can't image shipping would be cheap.

Is there enough interest for replacement bags if I were to contact a company known for making high quality gear? Let me know what you think.

Interesting......

Ripper

Adventurer
Correct, but now it's time to do something about it, instead of just tolerating it. Whether I get a one of a kind make or I can get someone to start making them, I will have a new bag for my tent!

bunger

Adventurer
...You may also consider making them a bit larger than the originals, to make it easier to store additional accessories (side panels, foot print, etc.) inside. ...

Exactly, I'm tired of wrestling the cover on after breaking camp. Plus I would like to make sure all of the accessories (side walls, front wall, side awning and all of the poles) are stored together.

Of course, the price has to be right.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Making the bag a 'bit' larger to contain more things will no doubt increase the weight a significant amount. Lofting the thing up on my roof rack is already an endeavor for the single bag the tent is in. More room is a great idea but I am already at about my limit for hoisting the thing up there, you young guys are so not in my league.

WeeJeep2

Adventurer
I've been wrapping my bag in a tarp and lashing to the outside of the trailer. It protects the tent and the bag from the sun and rain but it makes taking the tent out and putting it away much more complicated .Looked at the Yakima and Thule boxes but they just weren't big enough and it was going to be too hard to lift the tent up and in. My solution was to design a box with a single door at the end just long enough for the tent and accessories making it easy to slide in and it all locks up. I had a local fabricator build it out of aluminum for about the cast of a Yakima box and it is way more sturdy.
9685771e8d67da0da7812b5cdce585be.jpg
77fdced7450ad983d565b5be0fb31c9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bunger

Adventurer
Making the bag a 'bit' larger to contain more things will no doubt increase the weight a significant amount. Lofting the thing up on my roof rack is already an endeavor for the single bag the tent is in. More room is a great idea but I am already at about my limit for hoisting the thing up there, you young guys are so not in my league.

I'm hardy a young guy (11/1953) but my mount is chest high on my adventure trailer. I understand about the weight though.

Ripper

Adventurer
I reached out to a quality gear manufacturer, I have not yet heard back. I will give them until Monday before I move on to another.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I reached out to a quality gear manufacturer, I have not yet heard back. I will give them until Monday before I move on to another.

Just FYI: Heres some textile info. Since I owned a Oztent and noticed the construction of their bags, they could use some upgrading. Obviously, you could go with a Cordura type material, a minimum of a 1000 denier would be best. Double layers on the base would add longevity and protection, but textiles will only last so long on a roof rack (rubbing, etc). A rubberized material would add weather resistance, but unless they have welded or sealed seams and the zippers are water tight, you don't gain much except cost. Speaking of zippers, due to the bulk, weight and general over stuffing these types of bags get you should consider a heavy duty, self repairing nylon zipper and metal pull like the YKK #10 or larger. Handles (4 or 6 panel seatbelt webbing) need to wrap around the entire bag to support the load and won't rip-out if overloaded. Handles should be X-boxed stitched not just bar tacked. As with all products, US made textiles, webbing and zippers will be of the best, consistent and of heavy duty quality. Oh, and make sure everything is UV stabilized otherwise cheap bulk thread may fade and/or breakdown causing the bag to fall apart at the seams after a couple of seasons on a roof rack. If your sewer can get Mil-spec textiles and hardware, you'd be golden. Good Luck!

Last edited:

JackW

Explorer
I used to use Estex Manufacturing in Fairburn, GA to make a lot of special pads and bags for Lockheed. They make a lot of stuff for the airlines. Joe Lattanzi was my main contact there. They could make up a big duffle type bag using some heavy vinyl fabric if you give him a sketch of what you want and some dimensions. I'm thinking something like an oversized dry bag. Tell him Jack sent you.

krax

Adventurer
Just FYI: Heres some textile info. Since I owned a Oztent and noticed the construction of their bags, they could use some upgrading. Obviously, you could go with a Cordura type material, a minimum of a 1000 denier would be best. Double layers on the base would add longevity and protection, but textiles will only last so long on a roof rack (rubbing, etc). A rubberized material would add weather resistance, but unless they have welded or sealed seams and the zippers are water tight, you don't gain much except cost. Speaking of zippers, due to the bulk, weight and general over stuffing these types of bags get you should consider a heavy duty, self repairing nylon zipper and metal pull like the YKK #10 or larger. Handles (4 or 6 panel seatbelt webbing) need to wrap around the entire bag to support the load and won't rip-out if overloaded. Handles should be X-boxed stitched not just bar tacked. As with all products, US made textiles, webbing and zippers will be of the best, consistent and of heavy duty quality. Oh, and make sure everything is UV stabilized otherwise cheap bulk thread may fade and/or breakdown causing the bag to fall apart at the seams after a couple of seasons on a roof rack. If your sewer can get Mil-spec textiles and hardware, you'd be golden. Good Luck!

Sounds good. When will ATC be releasing OzTent bags? :)

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Sounds good. When will ATC be releasing OzTent bags? :)

:ylsmoke: Just like OE West 17, we'll be releasing some new cool stuff at OE East 17. An OzBag won't be one of them, but we're always tinkering with new products! Thanks. Be safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles