Ozotron's 2010 OR Xterra, 15 days on the road, Canadian Rockies + WABDR

ozotron

Just dropped off my maxterra rear bumper and white knuckle sliders at Seattle Powder Coat. Also threw a PRG shackle on to accomodate my nisstec AAL until I can figure out what weight/size combo Alcans I want.

Man, I've had a busy August! I took 15 days off and traveled the Canadian rockies and took a few days at the end to do a small part of the WABDR with my pal in a Tacoma. I have over 1000 photos as it was also the Persied meteor shower during this time... but editing takes far too long. Here are some choice shots from my trip.

Also snagged an ARB 6000 awning. Saved me during some rainy camp sites in Canada.

My buddy and I on the WABDR at the top of Chumstick Mt.
xterrataco.jpg

Icefield parkway between Banff/Jasper
banf_003.jpg

banf_jasper_001.jpg

banf_jasper_003.jpg

xterra_chumstick.jpg

To be installed:
new bumper and sliders
EBC S4 rotors/yellow pads (front only)
diff breather kit
IMS kit (flexterra gonna help me out this weekend I think)

bigskypylot

Explorer
Just dropped off my maxterra rear bumper and white knuckle sliders at Seattle Powder Coat. Also threw a PRG shackle on to accomodate my nisstec AAL until I can figure out what weight/size combo Alcans I want.

Man, I've had a busy August! I took 15 days off and traveled the Canadian rockies and took a few days at the end to do a small part of the WABDR with my pal in a Tacoma. I have over 1000 photos as it was also the Persied meteor shower during this time... but editing takes far too long. Here are some choice shots from my trip.

Also snagged an ARB 6000 awning. Saved me during some rainy camp sites in Canada.

My buddy and I on the WABDR at the top of Chumstick Mt.
xterrataco.jpg

Icefield parkway between Banff/Jasper
banf_003.jpg

banf_jasper_001.jpg

banf_jasper_003.jpg

xterra_chumstick.jpg

To be installed:
new bumper and sliders
EBC S4 rotors/yellow pads (front only)
diff breather kit
IMS kit (flexterra gonna help me out this weekend I think)

I'd go with +650. I went with +450 before I got my Maxterra rear bumper. I have the Jerry can holders back there too. I'm using Radflo 2.0s with a PRG adjustable shackle at the mid setting. Going to bring it to the highest this week. Now that the Alcan have been broken in and settled, I can get it on that last setting. If I do Alcan again, it'll be +650, or a 3-Link in back :) I'm also carrying a CVT summit series tent up there and hauling a lot in the back at times. I'd also recommend some Timbren bump stops :) These photos were pre-bumpstop and change in shackle position. Great pics and nice looking rig, by the way!

FB_IMG_1471922587187.jpg

FB_IMG_1471922567027.jpg

Last edited:

ozotron

Thanks! I was thinking 500+ so that's very helpful... I plan on having a tent eventually too...so 650 may be the way to go. Is your alcan pack stock height + 450 lbs? Then you are getting your height out of the shackle?

Maybe I will do something like 2.5in with 600 or 650 lbs.

Thanks a ton for the advice, and compliments on rig and pics! Yours looks great!

I'd go with +650. I went with +450 before I got my Maxterra rear bumper. I have the Jerry can holders back there too. I'm using Radflo 2.0s with a PRG adjustable shackle at the mid setting. Going to bring it to the highest this week. Now that the Alcan have been broken in and settled, I can get it on that last setting. If I do Alcan again, it'll be +650, or a 3-Link in back :) I'm also carrying a CVT summit series tent up there and hauling a lot in the back at times. I'd also recommend some Timbren bump stops :) These photos were pre-bumpstop and change in shackle position. Great pics and nice looking rig, by the way!

View attachment 362701

View attachment 362702

bigskypylot

Explorer
Thanks! I was thinking 500+ so that's very helpful... I plan on having a tent eventually too...so 650 may be the way to go. Is your alcan pack stock height + 450 lbs? Then you are getting your height out of the shackle?

Maybe I will do something like 2.5in with 600 or 650 lbs.

Thanks a ton for the advice, and compliments on rig and pics! Yours looks great!

Oz, no problem and thanks! I went with 2.5" of lift built in to the springs @+450 over stock. New Springs wouldn't let me use any setting but the lowest on the PRG shackle. Since they've settled, I've moved to the mid setting and will move it up the the high setting here next week. PRG has a bracket that will reroute the brake lines so you don't have to worry about stretching the lines. I guess it'll work with up to 8" of lift when used (per Greg) i don't have it at this point and don't need it really. I have the Radflo 2.0 rears with 0-3" of lift and that limits your down travel if I'm speaking right? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. 650 would work well( especially if you load it up, planning a tent, fuel cans, larger Tire etc. Then if you tow a trailer as well. Bumpstops will help a lot.

Last edited:

ozotron

Right on. I have the brake line relocation bracket ready install. Greg sent me one when I got my PRG shackle. I'm thinking about ordering an Alcan real soon. Want to get the maxterra on the rear next week and load her all up and see how everything looks.

As for front, the only plan I have is eventually I may TS... But honestly it would only be for travel... Not lift. I like fitting into my garage at work currently :)

And yea, I def want those bump stops

bigskypylot

Explorer
Right on. I have the brake line relocation bracket ready install. Greg sent me one when I got my PRG shackle. I'm thinking about ordering an Alcan real soon. Want to get the maxterra on the rear next week and load her all up and see how everything looks.

As for front, the only plan I have is eventually I may TS... But honestly it would only be for travel... Not lift. I like fitting into my garage at work currently :)

He said I didn't need one. I am going to have to talk to him again! lol

bigskypylot

Explorer

I've had a crazy idea about doing an SAS down the road with an Atlas x-fer case, Currie/Diamond Titan width rear axle and VK swap. I like the idea of a custom 3-link suspension in the rear as well. All depends on what i decide to go with an that has taken a back seat right now while i am furloughed and looking for a new job lol .

ozotron

I've had a crazy idea about doing an SAS down the road with an Atlas x-fer case, Currie/Diamond Titan width rear axle and VK swap. I like the idea of a custom 3-link suspension in the rear as well. All depends on what i decide to go with an that has taken a back seat right now while i am furloughed and looking for a new job lol .

Oh man that would be awesome. For the most part, I think I am getting close to 'needs' met. But those 'wants' just keep creeepin up on me hard :) Good luck looking for a new job, but most importantly, enjoy the time NOT working our lives away.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Oh man that would be awesome. For the most part, I think I am getting close to 'needs' met. But those 'wants' just keep creeepin up on me hard :) Good luck looking for a new job, but most importantly, enjoy the time NOT working our lives away.

Thanks, Oz! Got some offers and waiting on another.. should know more in the next few weeks!

ozotron

Finally got around to installing my rear bumper (Thanks maxterra). I also got my white knuckle sliders put on as well. Everything is custom BK 120 black powder coated, which is a matte-ish black with very little gloss. Just in time for a big snow storm before xmas! Looking forward to spring and summer adventures.

xterra_snow_dec.jpg
xterra_snow_dec2.jpg
xterra_snow_dec3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles