Oxygen Concentrator, 12 volt and portable battery

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
No actual experience, but a year or two ago someone asked me about the power consumption and running one off of his motorhome battery bank.

He was looking at the DeVilbiss iGo as I recall:

http://www.devilbisshealthcare.com/products/oxygen-therapy/portable-oxygen/igo

Up to 6 liters per minute in pulse mode. Up to 3 LPM in continuous flow mode.
There is a 12v adapter for it, and it has an 8.8ah battery built-in.

As I recall, it comes with a power supply which is basically the same as a laptop computer power supply, so I ran the numbers for the guy assuming a max of 60w consumption, which is 5a@12v.

He had 2 x 225ah Trojan 6v golf cart batteries in series for 12v, so the worst case scenario was 225ah / 2 = 112.5ah (down to 50% SoC) / 5a = 22.5h run-time.

In reality, it probably doesn't draw the full 60w that the brick can supply, so for the real world I'd say it draws 30w or less and could likely run 48h or more off his 225ah@12v battery bank without taking it below 50%.

gonejeeping15

Adventurer
Oxygen concentrators

We meet again DWH,

I have found these portable units to be very expensive, I have a home unit that is not much larger than the portables and consumes about 300 watts of power.

Next problem, I did have a Honeywell generator that I finally got my money back on an reordered a Yamaha 1000 watt gen. which has a 47 db rating at 1/4 load, about 5 db lower than the Honda and it will run 12 hrs. on a tank of gas. I take my home unit and keep it in the Jeep, take a sleeping pill plus park aways from the crowd and I should be OK.
If this is what I have to due to continue camping in my RTT and MB-T, then so be it.

Getting old is tough.
(This is another reason I needed info. on the extension cords)

Thanks again

I just bought an Invacare XPO2 that had been used maybe a week for $500. Sort of an "estate sale" (sister-in-law's husband's uncle who died recently from COPD....) It's quite small and portable and has an altitude rating of 3046m (10000') , not as good as Eclipse Sequal 3 (4000m) for Tibet/Andes, but much smaller. He also had one of those for sale, totally brand new/unused.
I might use it to sleep at night with a Y-fitting for spouse/travelling partner at high altitude. New these things are about $3500.
According to the specs it only draws 1 amp at 110V or 3.3A@18VDC, which I interpret to be ~5A@12VDC. Now I just need a DIN or cig. lighter 12V outlet inside my camper. I have 840A-hr of batteries which is 420 A-h usable capacity.
It is <45db, weighs 6.0 lb, is 10x7x4" + power supply.

Charlie

Last edited:

gonejeeping15

Adventurer
Thanks for the info Charlie, I'll look those units up and see how much. The ideal situation is to get my insurance to rent one.

Doug

If you want to buy a new Eclipse Sequal 3 brand new, cheap, let me know soon, my brother-in-law-in-law is trying to sell it.

Charlie

digitaldelay

Explorer
If you want to buy a new Eclipse Sequal 3 brand new, cheap, let me know soon, my brother-in-law-in-law is trying to sell it.

Charlie

What do these cost new approximately? Is it pretty high-end, as far as these things go?

What would your brother-in-law sell his for, if you you don't mind me asking?

Jason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles