OVX 2011 - Great Gear that you purchased!

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I thought it would be fun to see what others purchased at this years Overland Expo 2011. Maybe a brief description and a photograph of it in use.

There were two items that I came away with this year:

1st - A new magazine subscription to Outrider Journal. Simple put it is Overland Journal on two wheels. Pretty Cool! Check it out - www.outriderjournal.com

2nd - Hydro Flask - Stainless Steel Double Walled drinking bottles. These bottles Rock! They kept my water ice cold in 90 degree weather. www.hydroflask.com

The magazine did not make the photograph because my neighbor(John) took off with it to Guadalajara, Mexico. John if you are reading this don't forget my magazine!!

DSC_3584.jpg

czenkov

Adventurer
We purchased one Hydro Flask at the show (GF's) and I ordered two more when I got home (they were sold out of the one I wanted). One for me - one for my buddy in Florida. They are high quality and spectacular. Oh, and I bought a Pangea shirt and a Camel Trophy sticker signed by Jim Swett!

Overlander's Handbook by Chris Scott with Desert Driving DVD. Great read and good fun. And left Amado with all kinds of swag from Warn...it was like Christmas...thanks guys! :sombrero:

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I picked up a couple much needed Hydro-Flask bottles, severa Goal Zero solar panels and a few batt packs. That's not what's doing the damage, however. Seeing the equipment I "need" first hand has caused an internet buying spree that's gonna leave a mark.... :) Starting with that AWESOME Aluminess front bumper for my Power Wagon, and a snorkel too. Talk about getting motivated.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I too am very happy with the Hydroflask, and we will both be ordering more off their website!

Glad I was finally able to pick up Lois Pryce's second book, Red Tape and White Knuckles, as she was sold out last year before I could escape the booth to get my copy. Also picked up the Mondo Enduro book after purchasing the video last year from her hubby Austin Vince. And looking forward to the Dogs without Borders book by Lorraine, although thanks to my heavy homework load I haven't had time to even crack the cover on any of these! :(

Also enjoying the Goal Zero portable speakers, although I had to wrestle mine away from Linda, who sold them out....so if you didn't get yours, she is the one to blame! :ylsmoke:

Thanks Linda!!:victory:

mkitchen

Explorer
The RestStop bucket john

Not the most exciting thing to buy but we have been doing more trips with others and some of the locations are in some rather open desert areas. So we opted for the bucket john.

I usually like to take photos of things as they are in use in the outback but Mo thought that that might be in poor taste for this application. I still fall back on the old stand by of a shovel and a roll of TP but I do think that the john and shelter will be handy at times. I have also noticed that some of the more popular routes are requiring that you haul out all your wastes, so we will see.

I also bought some neat reading material. In addition I will be ordering quite a few items that I saw and liked including additions to equiptment that I already have.
Mikey

suntinez

Explorer
Also enjoying the Goal Zero portable speakers, although I had to wrestle mine away from Linda, who sold them out....so if you didn't get yours, she is the one to blame! :ylsmoke:

Thanks Linda!!:victory:

Welcome! I have seldom been so impressed with a product design/packaging. I bought a few speakers (ahem) and they were all gone to friends within 2 days of getting home. 18 hours so far on a single battery charge. Bought one of their Nomad 7W solar panels too, another smart design. I'm hooked on Goal Zero, no doubt.

Picked up a hydroflask too, I never buy water bottles cause I lose them all the time. But this thing is impressive - ice 2 days later in Amado? Like feeding candy to a baby.

I picked up Lorraine Chittock's books "Dogs without Borders" and "On a Mission from Dog", looking forward to those. Spent a while chatting and she gave me a copy of her "Cairo Cats" too - don't think she's gonna convert me do you?

ColoDisco

Explorer
I have to say I was not there but since AZ is so close I may attend next year. Maybe make a trip out of it with my fellow local 4x4 club members. :sombrero:

PJPR01

Adventurer
Was a great event again to visit again, had been there for the first one in Prescott in 2009.

Since I had discovered Hydro flask a few months ago, and had picked up several for a xmas trip, I didn't buy anymore of them, but was nice to them there and with a whole bunch of new colors. They did kindly replace one of my flask lids with a new loop/squirt opening combo which is very nice. Had hot coffee in Tucson at 0800 and by night time in Ozona Texas, still had some hot coffee left over...amazing!

I did however pick up a copy of Mondo Enduro from Austin Vince (what an energetic and entertaining movie host he was) as well as a Load Tamer mesh netting to hold things down on the rack. Already had the chance to use it at SCARR just this last weekend...works great!

I also brought home a lot of Arizona dust...it was a constant side wind all the way home we had to fight...I guess that was the precursor to what is fueling all of the fires in West Texas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles