OVRLND CAMPERS ONLY : Post your OVRLND Camper build here or a link to your build thread to inspire others!

dstefan

We hang a lot of things, and it’s useful. Since the bed rail is 8020 we just used some roll in T nuts, a bolt, washers, and these anchors to hang SS hooks, carbiners, etc from it. Works well and has the advantage of being repositionable as we figured out our layout and useage. Doesn’t get in the way of the bed sliding out.

EX121

We hang a lot of things, and it’s useful. Since the bed rail is 8020 we just used some roll in T nuts, a bolt, washers, and these anchors to hang SS hooks, carbiners, etc from it. Works well and has the advantage of being repositionable as we figured out our layout and useage. Doesn’t get in the way of the bed sliding out.

Thanks I like the idea of the anchors being moveable.

antsobrils

I'm a few months out on my build, but been starting to try and figure out how to power the MaxxFan. Don't want to have a huge solar build out right away (am going to have the solar port put on for down the road) so looking into one of the "portable power stations" out there: Jackery, EcoFlow, Bluetti.

Does anybody have any insight or input on:
1. Specific "Portable Power Stations" and
2. Simple set ups/instructions for setting this up

Also open to any other ideas or input that someone might have! Thanks.

montechie

Of the folks who have had theirs now for a while and done a few trips, anything that you wouldn't live without now at this point and would recommend including? Or didn't include and wish you would have?

I couldn't live without the side hatches, love the huge opening for dealing with gear or securing loads at the front of the bed.

We got windows everywhere, and Terns in our side hatches. The terns were our biggest splurge, but having used them in lots of weather and conditions now I would get them again. Dual-paned, built in screens and shades, ability to have them open in the rain has worked great. Having windows on most of the sides has been handy for checking for the "is that a cow or bear in our camp?" at night.

The MaxxFan was also a game changer for camping in hot weather and cooking inside during snow/rain storms. The only mixed part is that it adds a vulnerable plastic part on the roof and I tend to 4x4 on some densely treed trails squeezing under windfall etc. For noisy campgrounds (like Moab on the Colorado this past weekend) in the summer it's been great, close up the windows facing the noise and run the fan to generate a breeze.

Super glad I got the lower cab-over height. Since we use thick air+foam mattresses and a duo-bag the bedding is plenty warm/comfy, but we push it on the trails and sometimes inches in roof clearance has made the difference between turning around or making it through a route. Also on a few "tilted near obstacles" it's made the difference between "not damaged" || "damaged".

Biggest regret is the AZ sales tax. Being from MT we don't have sales tax and we can get tax refunds from several states, but not AZ. However I'm still appreciating the extra features of the OVRLND over GFC which is practically next door to us (6 miles away). In the future I'm going to be pickier of products I need to pick up and the states they're in.

montechie

I'm also interested in what anyone thinks of 5.5 vs. 6.5 ft beds. I am leaning toward a Tundra and liked the room inside a 6.5 ft bed. But 5.5 seems easier to find and might be an easier drive for me. (I work from home, so not a "daily" driver...but it would be my only vehicle.)

I love the longer beds for hauling mountain bikes, but honestly I don't miss downsizing all the way to a 5' bed and smaller truck with the OVRLND. I had a 5.5 F150 crew with a Lear, then a 6' DCLB Taco with a raised Lear. I originally ordered the OVRLND for the Taco, but decided to get a shorter truck overall with the extra sleeping space of the OVRLND and got rid of the Taco for a Gladiator with a narrower and shorter 5' bed. For shelf roads and rated trails it's been a game changer, even over an already narrower Taco (but long, same wheel base as a DCSB F150). The OVRLND is a very tall roof line for hanging gear, shelves, or storing bikes so I didn't notice the pinch like I thought I would. Plus when the topper is open the bed feels palatial vs the 6' bed and Lear toppers. My wife and I have held up in it for a day during a blizzard and it was plenty roomy.

The other thing I did before making the leap was measure the smaller bed at the dealer and mocked it up in my garage. I then stuck everything I tend to haul in my fake bed to see what it'd be like.

Also depending on where you're located, some regions tend toward certain types of trucks over others. In my area (Bozeman, MT) the double cab + 6.5 Tundras are extremely common, so you might be able to find what you want if you look in a different region. If you're looking new I highly recommend Ressler Toyota here with their minimal pricing and usually big truck inventory.

montechie

The wife suggested installing some hooks into the sides to hang clothing on and to use in securing cargo. I'm thinking about screwing some 1/2 inch number 8 eye/hooks into the sides below the bed slide rail. Has anyone done this?

I added Series 4040 slide nuts with eyelet bolts into the camper bed support rails and then attached biners and an adjustable clothesline. Worked great this last trip, the clothesline works for drying out hiking/climbing clothing or as a curtain for the back windows and I hung 30L stuff sacks, climbing gear, and various sundries to the others.

clothesline-ovrlnd.jpgbiner-ovrlnd.jpg

jagarcia89

I added Series 4040 slide nuts with eyelet bolts into the camper bed support rails and then attached biners and an adjustable clothesline. Worked great this last trip, the clothesline works for drying out hiking/climbing clothing or as a curtain for the back windows and I hung 30L stuff sacks, climbing gear, and various sundries to the others.

View attachment 743580View attachment 743581
I wish he still used the 8020 bed slide rails. They are now unistrut

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles