OVRLND camper topper

thanks pitchpt, that is even bigger (wider) than i thought, definitely a big part of why i want an ovrlnd. i have a 2009 white extended cab tundra, so i really enjoy seeing an ovrlnd on my (basically) exact same truck. how do you have your interior built out (if at all)? thanks again!

Pitchpt

Observer
how do you have your interior built out (if at all)? thanks again!

It is basically bare, since I still use it as a pickup truck was intended (from time to time). I have a flip up table on the passenger side, and I am building a shelf for a portable power pack that will fold down on the driver's side. I have a spray-in bed liner, and a rubber floor mat for insulation (heat and sound).

onetree_

Jay - After researching a number of pop-top campers out there, I am seriously considering one from OVRLND. Loved reading your backstory about living in the Chariot. When I was in school, I used to live out of a camperette on my 94' Toyota pickup truck. Good memories. I really appreciate your dedication to the work, and endeavor to make it a business. Couple of questions:

When driving, does the 40.5" overhang create any wind noise?
Is there an option to powdercoat the outer aluminum panels?

I now drive a 2016 F150 super cab with the 8' bed. In order for you to build a camper, do you need the person to leave the truck with you - or can you work with the manufacturer's bed and cab specifications?

Last edited:

OVRLND Campers

Jay - After researching a number of pop-top campers out there, I am seriously considering one from OVRLND. Loved reading your backstory about living in the Chariot. When I was in school, I used to live out of a camperette on my 94' Toyota pickup truck. Good memories. I really appreciate your dedication to the work, and endeavor to make it a business. Couple of questions:

When driving, does the 40.5" overhang create any wind noise?
Is there an option to powdercoat the outer aluminum panels?

I now drive a 2016 F150 super cab with the 8' bed. In order for you to build a camper, do you need the person to leave the truck with you - or can you work with the manufacturer's bed and cab specifications?

Hey! The Chariot was awesome... some good friends in Colorado have in now on an older Ranger. Did your camperette have a cab over... the non cabovers look really cool. Seen a couple here in Flagstaff.

No real wind noise, as much as youd expect from wind hitting a 10" cabover. Some customers have contacted me after install on their first drive with their surprise to how quiet the camper is.

We can powdercoat do to the gauge AL we use. The heat would warp the panels. We can color match, but it aint cheap. We can do white t no extra cost. What color truck?

No need to see the truck, and most customers dont come by the shop before the install. We have a sizing sheet that works pretty well that you would fill out. Ill also get on the phone with you to clarify dimensions needed before proceeding.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Have a great weekend!

onetree_

Did your camperette have a cab over... the non cabovers look really cool. Seen a couple here in Flagstaff.
Agree - the non-cabovers look much better. This one hung over the cab 12" and the roof was only about 18" above the cab. I found that a little unusual, but I'm 6'2", and needed the extra length. Felt like I was sleeping in a coffin. However, at the time, the price was right. Looking forward to something much more roomy. ?

What color truck?
It is white. However, given the two panel color options, I would likely go with the unfinished aluminum.

Needing some time to save up the money. Planning to be in touch again in around 6 months. Meanwhile, will follow your Instagram feed. Great photos and videos there. Stoked!

It is basically bare, since I still use it as a pickup truck was intended (from time to time). I have a flip up table on the passenger side, and I am building a shelf for a portable power pack that will fold down on the driver's side. I have a spray-in bed liner, and a rubber floor mat for insulation (heat and sound).
hey pitchpt (or anyone else) was wondering if you got a weight for your full size truck camper (i know jay says sub 300lb) but was wondering if that was for smaller trucks.. or more importantly how difficult it is/was to take off/put on. thanks!

OVRLND Campers

hey pitchpt (or anyone else) was wondering if you got a weight for your full size truck camper (i know jay says sub 300lb) but was wondering if that was for smaller trucks.. or more importantly how difficult it is/was to take off/put on. thanks!

I dont know what Pitchpt's weighs, but for reference the one on my GMC canyon long bed with barn door halfs, two side access doors, and 3" memory foam mattress is 315lb. Erics is wider, and longer with windows, counter and other stuff, so I would put it more in the 350-375lb range.

Hope this helps!

OVRLND Campers

I also forgot to mention we made his bed longer and the camper have 7' standing room since he is 6'9", so that added to that weight as well.

Pitchpt

Observer
Taking the camper on and off can be done by 3-4 strong (and tallish) people. I still consider a corner jack system (like the Reico Titan jacks on my 4wc) to make it a one person job.

Because of the light weight, I really only notice the camper in my rearview mirror, and at the gas pump. It doesn't affect the handling of my 2010 DC Tundra much. The truck has a 3/1 lift, air bags, and E rated 275/70/18 tires for reference.

bgraboyes

Because of the light weight, I really only notice the camper in my rearview mirror, and at the gas pump. It doesn't affect the handling of my 2010 DC Tundra much. The truck has a 3/1 lift, air bags, and E rated 275/70/18 tires for reference.
how much of a gas mileage hit did you take?

Pitchpt

Observer
how much of a gas mileage hit did you take?

I lost about 3 mpg. Pre-camper I had a RTT that was nearly flush with the cab and averaged 15.5 mpg on a 4500 mile road trip over mixed roads, lots of Hwy too. I average about 12.8 now with the camper: 2k-7k elevation, 73-79 mph Interstate speeds.

OVRLND Campers

Hey all! Just wanted to update the community and pick your brains during these wild times.

I have decided to shut the doors of OVRLND campers for at least 1 month (May 1st) to give this some time to play its course. My number one concern are my employees and their health. Though AZ has yet to tell non essential businesses to close, I feel it is wrong to pressure my guys to work during a time that might risk their health around each other and visiting customers.

This opens up my shop, tools, scrap metal and free time. I was just curious if any of you knew or had any ideas how a small metal fab shop can donate time and materials building something to aid the medical or service industries? Any ideas are welcome!

What I have at my disposal:
4x8 CNC router
2x2 CNC plasma cutter
Tig welders
bunch of scrap aluminum tubing and sheet
Random bits of canvas we use for the tents
bunch of hand tools
random glues, plastics, and other building materials

let me know if think of anything I can build anything with these tools.

I hope all of you are staying safe, and I cant wait to get back in action!

Cheers,
Jay

Last edited:

dirtnsmores

I just went through this whole thread and it was a joy. I've been working with OVRLND CAMPERS via email and phone since Novemberish and they've been great. Picking up my camper in 2 weeks and it'll be going on my 1st gen double cab Tundra. Most of my weekend trips are local Southern California mountains and deserts with one of my two kids (busy sports schedules) but about 4 times a year we'll be camping as a entire family of 4. That should get interesting, but once they get too big I can throw the kiddos in a tent and leave the master suite for the wife and I. This thread is gold, besides the other OVRLND thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles