Overlanding with a Baby | [PICTURE HEAVY] 18 days 4,400 miles

ToRo13

Thanks, the camera is often my iPhone as well as my Nikon D4s. My wife frequently likes to ‘poke holes’ in my plans. Early on she said “how are we suppose to give him a bath if we are on the road camping for several days?” I told her I’d come up with something... I put him in the empty bucket a few times while we were home to get him use to it — and to make it fun.

Last edited:

ToRo13

Here is a final day pic I forgot to upload. I scraped several inches of mud off the front of trailer, but still managed to spend Almost $30 at the self serve carwash just trying to get big chunks off –– before pressure washing and using the foam cannon at home.

As autumn encroaches on the mountains and snow is around the corner, I'm hoping we can get in a few more weekend trips. If not I'll be starting to plan our next really big adventure for next spring/summer.

Dirty.jpg

fnjeep314

Observer
I wish that I could get my family out on an adventure like this! My son just turned 11 months and I have a 2 yr old and a 7 yr old, so I think now would be a good time to test the waters!

hikingff77

Adventurer
AMAZING!!! AMAZING!!! AMAZING!!!

Ironically enough my brother just finished the JMT this past summer. He said it was stunning but hard, he's in his upper 30's.

You have one photogenic baby!

The Tundra is one of my favorite trucks, I just saw one yesterday almost exactly the same set up as yours, white, cap and wheels almost matched perfectly. Now if I could just come up with the $46k they were looking for........... :)

boze_man

Awesome trip! Great photos! Love your setup... When we did our 3.5weeks in 2009 we pulled one of those off road popups with our lc100...we were so over packed...lol

My words of wisdom to my younger comrades...IF YOU HAVE KIDS, JUST DO IT, they will never forget an adventure like this...my late teens and early 20s kiddos mentioned the trip from 2009 earlier this summer as the highlight of their young lives, enough so that they were willing to drop their friends for a few days and head out with the parents for a long weekend camp trip...

I never posted our trip report for some reason but we did 3.5 weeks in jul/aug 2009...... from h-town (houston) >ft davis SP (with a very cool day stop at balmorea SP) > guadaluope np > carlsbad canyon> roswell> bandolier np> silverton co> black canyon of the gunnison np> bozeman mt> theodore roosevelt np (north unit)> bismarck> black hills> back home to houston

The kids were so excited that first night at ft davis in 2009 we could have went home the next day and they would have had awesome memories...lol

Didn't mean to hijack...apologies...just got nostalgic and excited...

hikingff77

Adventurer
I have a plan set in my head to take my kids from PA to WA, OR to Banff, UP of Mich, Finger Lakes of NY and then back home. Might be three or so weeks. This just gives me more inspiration. I love the Tundra. I'm curious, how much fuel did you consume the whole trip?

ToRo13

I have a plan set in my head to take my kids from PA to WA, OR to Banff, UP of Mich, Finger Lakes of NY and then back home. Might be three or so weeks. This just gives me more inspiration. I love the Tundra. I'm curious, how much fuel did you consume the whole trip?
I averaged about 10.8 mpg [towing the trailer 90% of the time] — so a little over 400+ gallons. Not ideal when most of the trip was through California. I would use the onboard Jerry cans of cheap(er) fuel when prices were outrageous.

Colorado was about $2.65/gal and some places in California were in the ballpark of $4+/gal. The 38 gallon tank on the Tundra and an additional 15gal in Jerry Cans gave us some range to be selective.

Last edited:

ToRo13

As winter sets in out here in Colorado, I think we are done camping for the season –– at least as a family. My son and I got 33 nights and my wife 32. I'd like to get a night or two in of winter camping, we'll have to see how the winter goes however.

ToRo13

Exciting update and additional challenge excepted. Our second child is due early June of this year. I'm hell bent on sticking to our way of life and will continue camping with 2 children under the age of 2 and 3 dogs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles