Overlanding w Toys - Options That Won't Break the Bank

IndianaDano

All,

I have been trying to decide on the best way to accomplish my desire to get more off the beaten path with a RV while still being able to have a motorcycle with me (Harley and/or Adventure Bike) without breaking the bank. I gutted a 1964 Airstream and renovated it so Im both handy enough to figure out most things but have less of a desire to spends months/years getting my rig lined out. Ambos, Fuso, Earth Roamer/Cruisers looked at them all. What I have found is either too rich for me or will take too much time and/or money to get to the point I need it to. Im sure I am not the only one in this boat so feel free to point me to an existing thread or I welcome your opinions.

Thank you.
Dan

D

Deleted member 9101

I always put my bike in the back of the truck and then hitched up the camper. It was neither a complicated or expensive set up. Also brought a mountain bike, kayaks, and all my fishing gear.

IndianaDano

I don't want to pull a trailer. I want to have a rear lift that can double as an elevated patio..in a perfect world.

Ducstrom

What's your budget? "Too rich for me" is pretty vague.
A Harley or adventure bike is a heavy bike for a hitch rack.
A converted bus where the bike can come in the big back door, or a converted delivery truck with a rear ramp would work. Throw a mattress on the floor and your camping gear in the back and go.

D

Deleted member 9101

I don't want to pull a trailer. I want to have a rear lift that can double as an elevated patio..in a perfect world.

Well....buy an F450 and start welding...lol. If you are trying to lift a Harley... You are adding quite a bit of weight past the rear bumper.

IndianaDano

What's your budget? "Too rich for me" is pretty vague.
A Harley or adventure bike is a heavy bike for a hitch rack.
A converted bus where the bike can come in the big back door, or a converted delivery truck with a rear ramp would work. Throw a mattress on the floor and your camping gear in the back and go.

Yeah that is also part of my issue. What I want to pay vs what I can “afford”. I am focusing on my retirement and want this next rig to be part of that retirement plan. I know that’s vague but I need to be smart about it. Getting other folks input from the lessons they learned I hope will mitigate having a rig I will not be happy with when I’m in it 6-9m a year.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Or at least a light moto.

The one I built to go with our camper is a 140CC china bike, that weighs just 150#

50150355607_26083ff3b1_h.jpg

gatorgrizz27

I vote keep it simple. An F-450/550 with a box, and a 4’ wide welded steel platform on the back, mounted above the frame, not sticking way out there. Assuming your box is tall enough to stand in, you could have at least a 6’ long, full width ramp mounted to one side of the platform. Raise and lower the ramp with an ATV winch, and just ride the bike up it onto the platform.

Bonuses are it solves the “spare tire issue” if you end up running something like the 41” Continentals on super singles, and it makes it very difficult to steal the bike.

I can post a sketch if it’s not clear from my description.

If you HAVE to take both bikes (which would be a mistake IMO unless the truck is your home base and you’ll take extended trips via motorcycle), just buy a tow truck and put pickup camper on it mounted forwards. Tilt the bed down and load both bikes side by side, facing forwards.

Last edited:

billiebob

All,

I have been trying to decide on the best way to accomplish my desire to get more off the beaten path with a RV while still being able to have a motorcycle with me (Harley and/or Adventure Bike) without breaking the bank. I gutted a 1964 Airstream and renovated it so Im both handy enough to figure out most things but have less of a desire to spends months/years getting my rig lined out. Ambos, Fuso, Earth Roamer/Cruisers looked at them all. What I have found is either too rich for me or will take too much time and/or money to get to the point I need it to. Im sure I am not the only one in this boat so feel free to point me to an existing thread or I welcome your opinions.

Thank you.
Dan
Think U-Haul retired rentals. They are bulletproof, give great low floor entries and are cheap. They are ALL 2WD but since they are based on the most basic North American Trucks, they are all easily.... ie bolt on.... 4WD conversions. Plus U-Haul bodies are incredibly light aluminium. And pick yer year, 1978vs1998vs2018, very little changed.

I think used U-Haul Trucks are the best kept secret for Overlanders on a budget.

And keep the paint/labels. no one will bother to break in or steal it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

70370-timboyle-gettyimages-1741702_0.jpg

And they all come with a self storing ramp.

Untitled-design-79.png

There is always the commercial van with a powerlift tailgate...

tailgates_thieman_08.gif

Used equipment auctions offer an endless selection of choices.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would say you need to re-evaluate your needs and desires. There's a lot of missing information so it's tough to make a recommendation.

What is your budget? What is your timeline? Do you need the ability to eat/sleep/shower/toilet inside the RV? For how many people and for how long?

And where does this vehicle need to be able to go? That's a big consideration because if you plan on running tight trails, an oversize vehicle will not work. If you plan on traveling outside the US/Canada that's also a consideration.

Is a 500+ lb motorcycle (any Harley and pretty much most of the larger ADV bikes) a requirement or are you willing to consider a smaller, lighter, easier to carry bike? How far does the BIKE need to go?

Consider that in most of the world, a 125cc is a 'do anything' bike and anything larger than 200cc is considered a "large" motorcycle.

There is a simple, easy, reasonably priced and practical solution: Full size pickup with the bike in the bed of the truck, pulling a travel trailer.

But you've rejected that option so you're going to have to make some major compromises either in terms of size, cost, ease of use or all of the above.

Consider, for a moment, the bike sitting on a lift on the back of the truck: Are you going to have to lower the lift and unload the bike every night when you set up camp? Because that's going to get tiresome REAL fast. Having a motorcycle inside a van-type enclosure creates a similar problem: Are you unloading a 500+ lb bike every time you want to set up the bed?

If you're talking about a vehicle that is large enough that it can contain a large motorcycle and still have a usable living area, that would be something like a big toy-hauler RV. They do make those, but you won't be going very far off the pavement in one.

As I said, it's tough to make recommendations until we get a better idea of where you are willing to compromise.

old .45

Observer
Some the posts on the forum are... I mean AC unit for a RTT really? and this post about taking possibly one or two heavy bikes on a trip? this stuff is getting to be ridiculous....... I know, I know you are free to do what you want mostly but for me some of this is too much. I guess I am too old school and don't require "all the toy's" Shoe leather will still get you many places once you park your rig and you just might have found that you can explore more remote trails/roads with a simple but well set up rig. Yes they are fun to read tho.Cheers

UHAULER

Explorer
I
Some the posts on the forum are... I mean AC unit for a RTT really? and this post about taking possibly one or two heavy bikes on a trip? this stuff is getting to be ridiculous....... I know, I know you are free to do what you want mostly but for me some of this is too much. I guess I am too old school and don't require "all the toy's" Shoe leather will still get you many places once you park your rig and you just might have found that you can explore more remote trails/roads with a simple but well set up rig. Yes they are fun to read tho.Cheers
I'm tryin' to figure out how to ride a Goldwing with a tent over it with a portable Ac unit run by a small solar panel on a small expo trailer:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles