Overlanding Ovens

dcg141

Adventurer
There is the Snow Peak field oven. I have one and use it to make pizza. Its hard to regulate heat and like a dutch oven needs some experience to get cooking times down. Its used with the Snow Peak large firepit so its pricey. My firepit is probably my most used piece of camping equipment btw.
https://www.snowpeak.com/products/field-oven

swanyo

Observer
1646245282540.png
The Cobb has served me well over the years. Roast chickens, baked potatoes, pizzas, grilled steaks and ribs and whatever I can think up. It uses a small amount of charcoal so not good during fire bans.
We use it all the time camping and for tailgating. It's a small space so only good for 2-3 people.

Ragman

I own both the Omnia and Coleman ovens. Both work ok with some practice (bottom burning a problem for both from my experience and talking to folks) but none, in my humble opinion, work as well as a cast iron dutch oven as Laps said above. For solo and lighter weight I also like the Banks Fry-Bake deep Alpine pan which I did a review on for Dickin’ Around Outdoors on YouTube if you are not familiar.

Last edited:

wltrmtty

I use the Coleman camp stove and like it. Some have recommended putting a ceramic tile on the bottom to avoid burning the bottom of whatever you're baking. My wife covered the oven rack with a couple wraps of heavy duty aluminum foil and that works great.

obchristo

I have a couple different options for ovens.
1) Steam baking with a riser and silicone muffin holders. Light, compact but limited in what you can make. I use this mainly on backpacking trips where weight is a priority and I am not taking an Outback Oven.
2) Dutch Ovens. I can use these with both coals and on the stove with a fabric cover. Heavy and slow but good for large groups. Rarely goes with me.
3) Outback Ovens. IMHO the best combination of versatility, packability and weight. The best camp baking product that never really sold that well and is sadly not being made anymore ( I worked Outdoor Retail for 3 decades). I have 4 of the 10 inchers and a couple of the Ultralite setups. I carry 2 in my carcamping setup and will often take them on backpacking trips where fishing is on the agenda. With these I can use them as frypans or ovens.

wyoming07

Another stove-top oven that has gotten a lot of press in the Overlanding Community is the Omnia Stove Top Oven:

Omnia Oven: The Ultimate Camping Oven - Fresh Off The Grid

Even the Expedition Portal did a write-up on this:

Reviewed: The Omnia Oven We Never Knew We Needed - Expedition Portal

View attachment 708005

Figure around $65.00. I'd been mildly tempted to get one to try it out (especially after I had read the Expedition Portal write-up way-back-when linked above), but just haven't yet. Some folks love them. I just think it has limitations (can I make a pizza with one?), and it seems kinda bulky. But if making muffins or a cake, it might just be the ticket. And I wouldn't have to unfold it and put it together like I do with my Coleman folding oven before I can use it. There are optional accessories you can purchase for this thing depending on what you're wanting it to do.

Oven & Accessories - Omnia (omniasweden.com)

Let us know if you've used an Omnia, and what your thoughts are.
I've had an omnia oven for about 2 years now, though haven't used it much this year.
I use the lil silicone sleeve liner. Primarily bake sourdough bread in it. I'll have to look for pictures but it's done a great job, though sure there's some definite fiddling with Temps and time to dial it in, but jus take a few notes an set a baseline an you're good. I use a infrared thermometer to keep an eye on the temp, obviously there's plenty of other ways. Baked for quite a bit just lining up the dial on the burner an taking notes, bit way simpler wit the temp gun.

I switched to a hightop van a couple years back from the Tacoma an topper I used to base outta. Pretty slick to be able to set up on the counter an bake wherever you are posted up.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Ragman

I've had an omnia oven for about 2 years now, though haven't used it much this year.
I use the lil silicone sleeve liner. Primarily bake sourdough bread in it. I'll have to look for pictures but it's done a great job, though sure there's some definite fiddling with Temps and time to dial it in, but jus take a few notes an set a baseline an you're good. I use a infrared thermometer to keep an eye on the temp, obviously there's plenty of other ways. Baked for quite a bit just lining up the dial on the burner an taking notes, bit way simpler wit the temp gun.

I switched to a hightop van a couple years back from the Tacoma an topper I used to base outta. Pretty slick to be able to set up on the counter an bake wherever you are posted up.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
I have not had great luck with the Omnia sadly, it has a tendency to burn the bottom of what I am baking. I have tried raising the sleeve using the rack but it was not a game changer for me. The one thing that I did that I need to do some more fiddling with is to use a perforated flame tamer between the burner and the oven. I did a couple of YT reviews on the channel and will post up a follow up if/when I think I have gotten the flame tamer method down. YouTube is Dickin' Around Outdoors if anyone is interested.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I have the Coleman folding oven and the snow peak field oven. So far the field oven is neat but it is too hard to dial in and just too large to carry around. the coal bed has to be just right or you will burn the bottom of what you are baking while the top is still dough. The Coleman folding oven has been a staple for a long time. I really have enjoyed it.

Right now I'm eyeing this guy: https://winnerwell.us/collections/ovens/products/winnerwell-fastfold-camp-oven

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Camp chef has been in our teardrop since 2012.

ab7b008cd87b2f88ce1b0a72eb452cf5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

rnArmy

Adventurer
This oven has been popping up on my Facebook feeds lately. Thought I'd share it.

Wouldn't be my first choice for an oven, but someone out there might think this is just what they've been looking for. Kinda interesting.

Last edited:

aknightinak

What other oven options are out there you know of?

How about a homebrew Omnia Oven? Upend a smaller pan inside a larger covered pot or Dutch oven, same if less-refined idea. It's a challenge getting the temp right, and I find it best for reheating things or for cooking things that need to be baked hot more than have to be baked "just so," but it's a simple solution that can probably be cobbled together out of what's already in a lot of camp kitchens.

Of the true ovens, we use a Camp Chef combo on my friend's boat. It does a great job. Before our last trip, his mrs. prepped a roadkill (moose) pot pie that we cooked whiled we snagged the first day's limit. It came out perfect, even being forgotten until we could smell it from the bow.

Bailys13

This oven has been popping up on my Facebook feeds lately. Thought I'd share it.

Wouldn't be my first choice for an oven, but someone out there might think this is just what they've been looking for. Kinda interesting.
I just noticed this one. Has anyone gave it a try?
It looks like you can use multiple fuel types; wood, charcoal, canned heat, alcohol. Interesting. Sale price with carry bag is not horrible ( case is currently out of stock as of 10/24/23). Built in temp. gauge. A few options listed as to adjusting temps via air flow.
I can burn ice while trying to cook so I need all the help I can get.

jeepers29

I just noticed this one. Has anyone gave it a try?
It looks like you can use multiple fuel types; wood, charcoal, canned heat, alcohol. Interesting. Sale price with carry bag is not horrible ( case is currently out of stock as of 10/24/23). Built in temp. gauge. A few options listed as to adjusting temps via air flow.
I can burn ice while trying to cook so I need all the help I can get.
This looks interesting but we camp a lot where fire bans are almost always in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles