Overlanding In The Mojave Desert - 2020

teotwaki

Excelsior!
How often do you embark on a long-planned trip and at the end are surprised by what you actually experienced? This overland adventure
was just such a trip with the reward of unexpected friendships and surprising revelations about the historic adventures of the men who
sought out California's gold and silver.

This 9 day overlanding adventure was planned by Mike of the Underground Explorers who invited me along to join the other 7 people and
five vehicles.

The wags (who spend time worrying about such things) have opined that an offroad trip must last more than a week to be considered
"overlanding". Alas, our trip didn't qualify as an "expedition" as there are no less than eleven severely detailed criteria to meet. I guess
someone has to worry about defining such things!

Here are a few of the many pictures available on my blog. I hope you enjoy them!

DSC_1656-1.JPG

IMG_7888-1.JPG

DSC_1820-1.JPG

DSC_1835-1.JPG

IMG_7847-1.JPG

DSC_1902-1.JPG

Articulation.JPG

IMG_7854-1.JPG

DSC_1845-1.JPG

DSC_1611-2.JPG

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Pretty sure I recognized the 40 but had to confirm on your blog. Our friend Dan from our September trip in the Maze.

I also noted many of your photos were shot in the same locations of our Death Valley trip last November. There might still be some silver paint on Chicken Rock from my 4Runner. That ledge trail really spooked me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Pretty sure I recognized the 40 but had to confirm on your blog. Our friend Dan from our September trip in the Maze.

I also noted many of your photos were shot in the same locations of our Death Valley trip last November. There might still be some silver paint on Chicken Rock from my 4Runner. That ledge trail really spooked me.

Dan is a super neat guy.

For me having Mike as a spotter made things a lot easier. Later some Jeep crew with heavily modified rigs stacked a bazillion rocks and made that one corner a freeway.

Because the Rock had its nose blasted off I'm wondering how you got close enough to scrape paint? A good set of sliders might be a future mod for you.
IMG_5639-1.JPG

IMG_5642-1.JPG

IMG_5643-1.JPG

IMG_5633-1.JPG

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I have a good set of sliders, bumpers and skid plates. I just got rattled by the long drop and narrow ledge. I put my right side up on that ledge on purpose but got too close. My spotter wanted me to back up and move over. When backing I turned the wrong way. It was just a “flesh wound”.

b5e4630f876ba87ff591b76522dd0dcf.jpg

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I have a good set of sliders, bumpers and skid plates. I just got rattled by the long drop and narrow ledge. I put my right side up on that ledge on purpose but got too close. My spotter wanted me to back up and move over. When backing I turned the wrong way. It was just a “flesh wound”.

b5e4630f876ba87ff591b76522dd0dcf.jpg

I loved that loop, lets do it again and Im sure you handle it like a pro.

teotwaki

Excelsior!

I know what it felt like with the dropoff and all of the loose rocks! My spotter (Mike) is very experienced at guiding so that helped. After the Striped Butte Valley overlook there is a 1500' climb up the next hill with lots of loose rocks so having the E- locker and forward camera was nice. I was also glad I didn't have my trailer to pull up there.

Great looking 4Runner!

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I know what it felt like with the dropoff and all of the loose rocks! My spotter (Mike) is very experienced at guiding so that helped. After the Striped Butte Valley overlook there is a 1500' climb up the next hill with lots of loose rocks so having the E- locker and forward camera was nice. I was also glad I didn't have my trailer to pull up there.

Great looking 4Runner!

Thanks! I have pulled my off-road trailer over all the tough spots in DV but glad I didn’t have it on Chicken Rock. I sold it a couple of years ago and really miss it.
76b075309bfb5b1c0e6dcd8fc25845af.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Looks nice and some great camp spots. I have a Aliner Ranger but it’s not suited for much more than moderate twotrack despite the sticker that says off-road ready.
b07975f429d9203074c6a147f7ad5c49.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Looks nice and some great camp spots. I have a Aliner Ranger but it’s not suited for much more than moderate twotrack despite the sticker that says off-road ready.

Yeah, but you can still establish a nice base camp with the Aliner, keep the family happy and go offroading in the nearby areas.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Yeah, but you can still establish a nice base camp with the Aliner, keep the family happy and go offroading in the nearby areas.

That’s what I do. But it did spend two months in Baja and survived. I had planned to do a lift, bigger tires, etc but it’s just not built very solid. I’ll use my recently purchased Alu-cab RTT for more challenging trips.

revelstoke

b07975f429d9203074c6a147f7ad5c49.jpg

How well does the insulation / AC work on the Aliner Ranger? Does yours have any?

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
How well does the insulation / AC work on the Aliner Ranger? Does yours have any?

No AC as I took it out. I rarely camp in regular campgrounds with 110 power. All Aliner and Chalet campers are pretty drafty and cold in winter use. I just crank up the heat.

revelstoke

No AC as I took it out. I rarely camp in regular campgrounds with 110 power. All Aliner and Chalet campers are pretty drafty and cold in winter use. I just crank up the heat.

Thanks for the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior