Overlanding during the Lockdown?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We go to the gas station once a week and wear gloves at the pay at the pump. 36 gallon tank equals lots of range.

We go for drives on the weekend for a couple hours. Pack our own food and don’t come in contact or even close to anyone.

Usually back home after 3 hours or so and still have enough gas to last till the end of the next week. (Working from home so went from commuting 60 miles per day to 0).

scanny

Observer
COVID-19 spreads the same way as regular flu. If you're being aware and responsible you cannot catch the virus or give virus to anybody. Meaning that you don't sneeze to people or things, don't come close to people, use hand sanitizer before and after you touch gas pump handle or anything public. You jump in a truck, maybe fuel up once or twice on your way and other than that you don't contact locals in any way. You get to your remote destination, stay far from people and you're fine. Be self sufficient and extra careful and don't take risks so first responders won't have to rescue you. Authorities make rules for lowest common denominator.

billiebob

Oster-wildcamp.jpg

Do you travel local in your country during the lockdown?

We was aware of a ban on going out - and had the plan to leave into the nature before. Working in Homeoffice (like most of us in Switzerland has to) - works too in the nature. Solarcells give enough power to use two Notebooks and a Smartphone during the day.

Fortunately the curfew dont get reality..

So we just leaving severall days for a while. We did not use the roof box and side awning - to get less attention when entering the nature.

What we did: Overlanding during the Lockdown

Social distancing is probably better compared to staying at home.

Sorry for the tinkered awning.... There is a translate Icon on the right side of the Blog.

Do you also travel during these times? Or even it is allowed to do in your country?

Surfy
Now that IS impressive. A $10 tarp, local free poles, looks like free bedding, and free field to camp in.
Yes, we do it here but we stay close, like within 100 miles of home.
Looks like you are on the $100 budget.

I'm impressed !! (y)(y)(y)

Alloy

I was discussing what we are doing to for camping this year with a freind. We came to the conclusion that with all the campsites (along with the dump stations) with toilets being closed and more people switching (who don't want to get in a plane or stay in a hotel) to traveling forestry roads the sanitary conditions (that weren't great before) of the back woods is going to be disgusting.

Last edited:

4x4tripping

Adventurer
We did it again :)

On the way back we got near stuck in a snow storm at 2300m @ Flüelapass - so we had an additional night in the snow.

In switzerland it is legal to go out. Just keeping groups at max with 5 persons and 2m distance each - says the gouverment.

Nationalparks and famous outdoor hotspots are closed - because too many people try to go there.

So the intention of the goverment is, to keep the distance between the people and avoid any crowding. Going hiking, biking and walking is allowed.

So we just go into the nature, with not any interaction with other humans.

I love it to sit on the campfire with my girlfriend, doing bbq and
beer.gif

With 300l Diesel, 85L Water, Fridge and Solar we also dont have to buy or interact with local people.

Looks like that is very luxurary compared with the law in other countries!

Link to more pictures: https://www.4x4tripping.com/2020/05/overlanding-wahrend-des-lockdowns-part.html#more

wildcamping-overlanding-4x4.jpg

1-overlanding-4x4.jpg

schweiz-overlanding-4x4-wildcamp.jpg

Surfy

jeepgc

Adventurer
In the UK we're being discouraged from travelling, locals in some places are even protesting about people with second homes in the countryside travelling from cities if you believe everything in the media.

Our police force is also issuing fines for those people they decide do not have a good enough reason to be out and about.

All of this should be changing for us, as of Wednesday 13th May as we will be able to travel further afield to exercise/walk dogs etc.

jeepgc

Adventurer
In switzerland it is legal to go out. Just keeping groups at max with 5 persons and 2m distance each - says the gouverment
Surfy

Well if thems the rules, you can't argue with that.

Nice set-up and glad that you're able to get out, thanks for posting :)/

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Disease is and historically has been spread by travel. And the more people travel, the more diseases spread. Staying put for a month or two, is asking very, very little of people. I'd actually be very wary of traveling to small towns and "middle of nowheres" right now, as a lot of these places (at least in my parts) have aging populations that are more at risk, and where emergency services if needed may be harder to get to. It might superficially seem going somewhere with less people is safer, but that's not necessarily the reality.

Think of it this way, it is a good opportunity to clean up, sort out, repair equipment, and plan for later trips. I've been cleaning and organizing the garage and tools and working on the vehicles in my garage.

Times up. Your month is over, here.

Everyone is out and about in Ohio. Nobody ever cared about the lockdown ''order'' or the spread. People are only staying home because they don't want to get sick. We've done a ton of isolated stuff in the parks, trails, picnics, etc. etc. Just stay away from everyone. Were leaving food for the elderly in the open garage, no contact. Stores deliver now. They can clean and disinfect it, and leave it in the sun for a bit (cans and such).

I'm essential, so I still travel for work. There's thousands of new york plates on vacation all over, spreading this virus.

billiebob

It might superficially seem going somewhere with less people is safer, but that's not necessarily the reality.
Yep, if something happens on the road, your fault or not, you are stressing all the first responders involved.
Stay home, don't assume you can travel without creating a problem. Even if you have a uneventful trip just driving past that first responder going to an emergency creates stress for them..... and every small town you drive thru is likely wishing you would just stay away. Fact is the only reason you have so much space to social distance is because everyone else is at home. Quit being so selfish.

billiebob

Well, this thread is not a trip report, it asks a question,

OVERLANDING DURING LOCKDOWN ?

So move the thread.

Milamr

We did it again :)

On the way back we got near stuck in a snow storm at 2300m @ Flüelapass - so we had an additional night in the snow.

In switzerland it is legal to go out. Just keeping groups at max with 5 persons and 2m distance each - says the gouverment.

Nationalparks and famous outdoor hotspots are closed - because too many people try to go there.

So the intention of the goverment is, to keep the distance between the people and avoid any crowding. Going hiking, biking and walking is allowed.

So we just go into the nature, with not any interaction with other humans.

I love it to sit on the campfire with my girlfriend, doing bbq and
beer.gif

With 300l Diesel, 85L Water, Fridge and Solar we also dont have to buy or interact with local people.

Looks like that is very luxurary compared with the law in other countries!

Link to more pictures: https://www.4x4tripping.com/2020/05/overlanding-wahrend-des-lockdowns-part.html#more

wildcamping-overlanding-4x4.jpg

1-overlanding-4x4.jpg

schweiz-overlanding-4x4-wildcamp.jpg

Surfy

Sounds like your government actually trust the people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles