Overlanding during the Lockdown?

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Oster-wildcamp.jpg

Do you travel local in your country during the lockdown?

We was aware of a ban on going out - and had the plan to leave into the nature before. Working in Homeoffice (like most of us in Switzerland has to) - works too in the nature. Solarcells give enough power to use two Notebooks and a Smartphone during the day.

Fortunately the curfew dont get reality..

So we just leaving severall days for a while. We did not use the roof box and side awning - to get less attention when entering the nature.

What we did: Overlanding during the Lockdown

Social distancing is probably better compared to staying at home.

Sorry for the tinkered awning.... There is a translate Icon on the right side of the Blog.

Do you also travel during these times? Or even it is allowed to do in your country?

Surfy

krick3tt

Adventurer
Travel during the lockdown (in US) is ill advised as it may put folks in those towns that you pass through in jeopardy. When the state (CO) is requiring that folks stay home it is best to do so. There are some states here that are not requiring that folks stay home but there are those that do think is is better to do.
It is not that difficult to stay home as there are many projects to do if one owns a home. I would prefer to go camping but many of the trips that were
scheduled have been canceled. The woods and fields will still be there, hopefully so will I. I have been to your country and it is beautiful. I do miss traveling.0.jpeg
I include photo of my campsite last year when I could camp.

Last edited:

scanny

Observer
In Ontario (Canada) they closed all parks and asked people to limit travel to essential only. But there are a lot of Crown land which is free for all and cannot be closed or restricted in any way. The only problem that it's still cold and season officially starts on May 1st, before May 1st sensible people here avoid to drive on trails because ground is too soft.

taliv

Observer
it's not about the ban, so much as being socially responsible. just because it is legal to travel here, doesn't mean you should. unless there is a sufficient reason. in my state, some very irresponsible people have gone out and had to be rescued in several different instances, putting first responders from 3 counties at risk.
i camped in my yard once a few weeks ago. been working on gear and upgrades.

Alloy

I agree we all need to be responsible. But personally I'm more at risk at home working with power tools then camping in the woods.

While camping/hiking/trail clearing the most I ever had was some small blisters/scrapes/cuts. While working at home in the last 2 weeks I've got a 2" cut on my neck from a branch and stepped a 3" nail. I may have to go camping (not stops along the way) so I'm don't hurt myself more.;)

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have been doing plenty of 3-4 day trips with a few day trips and overnighters lately. I gas up and avoid locals but try to keep some money coming into these small economies.
I personally think if someone is high risk they should protect themselves (I have some family in that group and have not seen them in weeks) while the rest of us in low risk groups can take basic precautions and get outdoors.
Greet thing is I have been around far less people and I am in much less danger outdoors than in my huge urban center.

09Busaman

Go out and have fun, we went last weekend and camped at a ghost town. There were lots of people out, staying away from each other and enjoying themselves.

David_h

Some of the people that are leaving home for non-essential activities could be spreading the virus around increasing the risk of death to others; and further delaying the legitimate opening of these activities for those of us that are following the spirit of the shelter-in-place..

alanymarce

If you have a breakdown, get stuck, have an "accident", or for any other reason need help, then you are putting first responders, police, and clinic/hospital staff at risk. It's easy for us, we're not allowed out other than to get food and other essentials.

Mos6502

Disease is and historically has been spread by travel. And the more people travel, the more diseases spread. Staying put for a month or two, is asking very, very little of people. I'd actually be very wary of traveling to small towns and "middle of nowheres" right now, as a lot of these places (at least in my parts) have aging populations that are more at risk, and where emergency services if needed may be harder to get to. It might superficially seem going somewhere with less people is safer, but that's not necessarily the reality.

Think of it this way, it is a good opportunity to clean up, sort out, repair equipment, and plan for later trips. I've been cleaning and organizing the garage and tools and working on the vehicles in my garage.

krick3tt

Adventurer
You don't seem to get it, the world is not your playground anymore. STAY HOME so you don't kill someone. You irresponsible people going out are putting everyone that you contact in jeopardy.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
We've made the decision to stay within our local area, and not go camping right now. We are going on easy local hikes, and the occasional local drive, but not leaving our local area. We are doing this of our own accord as their is no official lock down here in Bc, though non-essential travle outside of your area is frowned upon my many. We aredoing this out of respect to our neighbors in smaller town and communities as to not put ourselves in a place where we may tax their healthcare system at all.

If my Grandmother could give up her freedoms and civil liberties, keep her lights turned off, eat the meager rations allowed in order to help the UK survive the Battle of Britain then I think I am prepared suck it up, give up camping for awhile and enjoy Netflix in the my comfy home until we get on the other side of this.

ITTOG

It is all about "me" these days. People do not care if they spread the virus, they just want to live as they want. Of course they never encounter anyone. But you touched that gas pump handle and so did the person behind you. Or something you touched at the store getting prepared for your trip. It may not be this time or the next but you are just adding to the potential.

My household is staying home to hopefully help shorten the time we must shelter in place.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Follow what the authorities say in said destination. In the west it has been largely county or county grouped health districts. It is that way in Utah anyway. Out of courtesy and respect, do what they say. If it's open its open. If it's closed it's closed. Be safe and aware. BUT seeing people in this thread say you need to stay home no matter what. Um nope, not if the authorities say it's okay. Sorry kids you can be your own little Hitler's. Just not mine. I'll be out in the wilderness for two weeks shortly. Perfectly legal, perfectly safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles