Overlanding Big Tan Turtle

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Them things are very cool, but I still haven't found out if these can be licensed for the street.

Xrunner

Explorer
Them things are very cool, but I still haven't found out if these can be licensed for the street.

I was wondering the same thing... it doesn't list the same "sold for off-road use only" language listed that you see in the humvee listings, but that doesn't mean much.

java

Expedition Leader

Tan one says has EPA sticker and title will be mailed to bidder. Not sure if thats all thats required, but it seems like you could get inspected like a home built car and get licensed. Id love to have one....

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer

Yes, like mentioned under the description part on the ad it will tell you if it's road legal or not. If it's EPA approved it's road legal. The hummers are a different story because of crash ratings. Not pollution. A local guy has one of these he's selling for 17 cash think it has 9k miles. It's plated and he has a newer 6x6 semi tractor. So yes road legal. Like Java said you could build a camper and have it inspected and classified as an RV also.

Also they give you a title with the Hummers too. They tell you off road use only yet you can walk into DMV and get plates and drive it around. SteelSoldiers is the website answer everything.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
We have the truck version M-1078 and it was a PITA to get titled and registered. Weeks of running around and jumping through hoops.

Speed limited to 58, cab is noisy but the ride is comfortable.

Ours is for sale on this forum somewhere. Reminds me I need to bump it again.

sethro80

Adventurer
We have the truck version M-1078 and it was a PITA to get titled and registered. Weeks of running around and jumping through hoops.

Speed limited to 58, cab is noisy but the ride is comfortable.

Ours is for sale on this forum somewhere. Reminds me I need to bump it again.

Can they be modified to go faster? 58 is pretty slow. What kind of gas milage do these get? Do you have a link?
Seth

SuperTrooper

Observer
Several of these have sold for as little as $5-7k on govplanet! A quick search on steelsoliders forum shows they can be regeared for a higher top speed. However I don't believe these came with diff locks and only a few come with the PTO winch. Sure would suck to get such a big rig stuck!

aardvark7

I gave serious thought to building with one of these units. Ultimately, I decided not to, despite their initial low cost. Reasons are many: cab comforts, upgrades, parts support, overbuilt for civilian use, height, standard options and build / conversion cost. My 14' ambulance module is now here. Lots of work too, but it does look quite doable. I will be looking for a truck / chassis, this is now consuming a lot of my so-called "free time".

Kenet

Conversion progress

I got my M1079A back in October of 2015. It is turning into a very good camper for my wife and I.
I have taken things slowly and love this truck. It goes everywhere (although highway speed is about 62 max).

To address some of the questions on the forum:

Here in South Carolina registration is simple. No government paperwork was required. It is registered as a historic vehicle and is fully highway legal. FYI, insurance was very affordable!

Lots of parts available for engine and drive train (CAT motor and Allison Transmission).

Noisy in the cab (I fixed that with insulation).

Cab uses air bags for a less bumpy ride.

Attachments

• Feb 2016 (1).jpg
    Feb 2016 (1).jpg
    562.5 KB · Views: 202

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz