Overlanding an LJ

Singlespeed92

Observer
IMO LJ's are some of the best jeeps ever made...

"People", by and large are none too bright... by the very nature of the fact that you are driving it, living out of it, exploring new places, does that not make it an "Expo vehicle"??? Isn't it the TRIP that makes it an "Expedition" rather then the vehicle you do it in???.....Enjoy your great LJ and ignore "people" ;)

Agree 110% with this! Loving your LJ (OP),my friend! Looking forward to reading about the build and adventures :D FWIW (while I'll still be keeping my XJ until...well,until I'M gone,LOL!),an LJ is one of my dream-rigs to own/build one day. Don't worry about anyone else,you can't pay your bills or fill your tank with their opinions ;) :p

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
My wife saw a Scrambler in Moab last week and asked, "what Jeep is that?" To which I replied, "the one they should be building now".

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Truer words have never been spoken. I wish they carried the 2dr Unlimited over to the JK. Our rear seats spend more time folded down than not.
Yeah they really had a winner with the LJ. I was sad to see it not offered for public/civilian consumption with the coming of the JK, and I've always lusted after the T1 (the Mil-spec LJ with the little VM Motori Diesel :drool: ) and the J8 for that matter. I've also always loved the CJ6/8's (and the FJ43, 73, non-USDM LWB YJ's, mid w/b 2dr. Glandewagens etc.) and felt like the LJ was a perfectly "modern", more road friendly, version of those old CJ's.

The 4-dr JK is certainly a massive hit, and a very capable, extremely unique truck for the USDM and I'm VERY happy that Jeep was bold enough to keep making a truck like it (I wish Toyota would see fit to make a true direct competitor for it). No doubt about it, but something about it has always felt "off" to me in a way I couldn't always put my finger on. Less like the old Jeeps I grew up with, and not in a "now it's better then ever" way (the engine alone precludes me from feeling that way) that Jeep would have you believe it is being a "new/redesigned" vehicle.

Cheers

Dave

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Yeah they really had a winner with the LJ. I was sad to see it not offered for public/civilian consumption with the coming of the JK, and I've always lusted after the T1 (the Mil-spec LJ with the little VM Motori Diesel :drool: ) and the J8 for that matter. I've also always loved the CJ6/8's (and the FJ43, 73, non-USDM LWB YJ's, mid w/b 2dr. Glandewagens etc.) and felt like the LJ was a perfectly "modern", more road friendly, version of those old CJ's.

The 4-dr JK is certainly a massive hit, and a very capable, extremely unique truck for the USDM and I'm VERY happy that Jeep was bold enough to keep making a truck like it (I wish Toyota would see fit to make a true direct competitor for it). No doubt about it, but something about it has always felt "off" to me in a way I couldn't always put my finger on. Less like the old Jeeps I grew up with, and not in a "now it's better then ever" way (the engine alone precludes me from feeling that way) that Jeep would have you believe it is being a "new/redesigned" vehicle.

Cheers

Dave

Agreed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94