Overlanding Africa - Taking the East Africa route (Egypt, Sudan, ..) with our Defender until we get stuck due to a Civil War

Benzino

Hey there,

we had the big dream of driving from Germany down the East Africa route to South Africa. We had no idea what we are doing but with a lot of help from friends and fellow overlanders we managed to rebuilt a Defender and started the journey. Unfortunately, we got stuck in Sudan, due to the civil war in Ethiopia that stared just 1-2 days before we wanted to cross the border. But yeah, still a wild adventure to get your car into Egypt and figure out what to do when borders are closed for good.

If you are keen to see our route and get some inspiration, here some links:

Trailer of the trip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWsTbiacJbU&feature=emb_imp_woyt
YouTube channel (new episode every Thursday): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFUsYw5V18mpScpPNWH0kww
Webside (for routes per country): www.living-unsettled.com

We also want to give back to the overlander community, so if you have any questions, please just let me know and I will try to help wherever I can.

All the best
Benzino

GPTempDownload 3.JPGG0011499.jpgGOPR0865.jpgGOPR5370.jpg

Attachments

• G0011499.jpg
    G0011499.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Hourless Life

Right on guys! Just watched your intro video. Wishing you both fun and safe travels. Love the photo with the pyramids and a bit jealous of that experience. Hope you are able to enjoy it to its fullest despite circumstances. ~ E

Benzino

Right on guys! Just watched your intro video. Wishing you both fun and safe travels. Love the photo with the pyramids and a bit jealous of that experience. Hope you are able to enjoy it to its fullest despite circumstances. ~ E
Thanks guys!
We are actually back already and I am working from home on the videos now. Was a crazy rollercoaster of emotions, since nothing went according to plan. But we learned a lot about ourselves and somwehow mastered every situation.

Hourless Life

Thanks guys!
We are actually back already and I am working from home on the videos now. Was a crazy rollercoaster of emotions, since nothing went according to plan. But we learned a lot about ourselves and somwehow mastered every situation.
That is what this lifestyle is all about. Improvising, adapting, and overcoming. Bravo. Glad y'all are back safely and that you grew in wisdom and experience as adventurers. ~ Eric

Torq

Observer
Nice truck - love the bumper sticker.

How far down east Africa did you intend to go before your trip got shunted at Ethiopia?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles