Date: 5 August 2008
Overlanders: Peter Hander & Stefanie Furer
Nationality: Switzerland
Expedition: South America
Expedition duration: 11/2007 to 11/2008
Vehicle: 2001 Land Rover Defender
Total Vehicle Kilometers: 220,000
Current Expedition Kilometers: 19,800
Vehicle notes: Peter and Stefanie bought the Defender from a German couple in Mendoza, Argentina. The German couple had driven it from Maryland to Ushuia, Argentina and back up to Mendoza. The LR modifications were done in Germany.
Trip notes: Have covered all of South America except Paraguay and the Guianas. Originally hoped to cover Central America but feel now they won't have enough time.
Comments: Have had a lot of problems with the LR Defender. If they had it to do over again they would have bought a Toyota Land Cruiser. From Stefanie's perspective, people considering this type of vehicle for an extended expedition such as theirs underestimate the impact of doing a large portion of your living outside. In particular, cold environments such as the Andes and high plateau areas (Altoplano, Bolivia, etc.) make things such as cooking very challenging.

2008-08-05-SD870%20IS-6303-800.jpg

2008-08-05-SD870%20IS-6304-800.jpg

2008-08-05-SD870%20IS-6305-800.jpg

Cabinets/storage system was made in Switzerland.

2008-08-05-SD870%20IS-6306-800.jpg

Peter is an officer in the Swiss military and is permantently attached to the U.N. Peace Keeping forces. He spent the two years prior to this expedition in Lebanon. He is currently on a one year sabbatical.

2008-08-05-SD870%20IS-6307-800.jpg

2008-08-05-SD870%20IS-6308-800.jpg

The Stephanie in this photo is not the Stefanie that belongs with this vehicle. ;)

kcowyo

ExPo Original
dhackney said:
From Stefanie's perspective, people considering this type of vehicle for an extended expedition such as theirs underestimate the impact of doing a large portion of your living outside. In particular, cold environments such as the Andes and high plateau areas (Altoplano, Bolivia, etc.) make things such as cooking very challenging.

This thought echoes a great point Scott Brady made recently following his experience with a Sportsmobile vs his Tacoma - "living inside your vehicle instead of around your vehicle."

I've often wondered whether the people who take these extended journeys on a motorcycle with only a tent, are extremely hardcore or just masochists at heart. The real flavor of any trip is often in the trials and tribulations, but that flavor is seldom savored until the journey's end.

And despite their mechanical issues with their LR, that 110 with a pop top still looks like a fine way to travel. :jumping:

:campfire:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
This thought echoes a great point Scott Brady made recently following his experience with a Sportsmobile vs his Tacoma - "living inside your vehicle instead of around your vehicle.".

Let me just say that when the weather is tough outside, we get a lot of flattering comments from those who are forced to live around their vehicle. There are obvious trade offs in ultimate off-road capability and overall vehicle size.

kcowyo said:
I've often wondered whether the people who take these extended journeys on a motorcycle with only a tent, are extremely hardcore or just masochists at heart. The real flavor of any trip is often in the trials and tribulations, but that flavor is seldom savored until the journey's end.

I spent many years traveling by motorcycle and tent. For me, the experience was not really about being hardcore nor being masochistic. I found that mode of travel to be more about the joy of motorcycling combined with ultimate freedom. The side benefits were learning about the upside of simplicity of life, etc.

It is true that waiting out a severe thunderstorm in a small tent is not all fun and games. It is also true that hunkering down in your tent when it gets dark at 6PM and is freezing cold is not a pleasant evening.

While I was writing this post a German couple traveling by motorcycle stopped in and we spent a couple of hours talking. I asked them about this question and their views echoed my experiences.

When it is raining, which it did while we were here in the camper talking, they do look at the campers with envy. However, the freedom of the bike and especially the intimate connection with nature, make it worth the trade off.

ShearPin

Adventurer
Looks like Ex-Tec stuff on their 110 - if I ever have the cash, and they are willing to ship to Canada, their pop-top with the hard sides would replace my Ezi-Awn.

It's unfortunate they had so much trouble with their 110....

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

articulate

Expedition Leader
KC, I latched onto that same statement about living outside, and entirely know the misery that hits the first time in bad weather when living that way. Cruising solo has such a different dynamic than traveling with the family, or even just one other person. While I'm no motorcyclist, I can see how you don't need to be masochistic to enjoy that style of travel. You're solo with no responsibility (perceived or otherwise) to be mindful of the comfort of your GF or wife or little kids.
kcowyo said:

I enjoyed this statement, too:
dhackney said:
However, the freedom of the bike and especially the intimate connection with nature, make it worth the trade off.

Anyway, I love these overlander interviews.

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
To clarify, I made that post and the 'hardcore or masochist' statement after watching the complete series of the Long Way Down, where two gents ride their bikes from Scotland to Cape Town.

The whole time I'm watching them getting hammered on those barely there trails, exhausted and covered in dirt and then at the end of the day, their only refuge is crawling into a ground tent.... Having to deal with a ground tent, day after day, month after month is what seems masochistic to me, not the act of riding a bike.

Maybe I'm just getting soft, but I think I would want a little nicer accomodations at the end of the day if my hands, feet, arms, butt, shoulders and back were wrestling an enduro for days and weeks over brutal trails, through inclement weather. That's what I deem hardcore and maybe a little masochistic.

I get the bike thing. I'm just not sure I get the 'prolonged use of a ground tent' thing anymore.

:suning:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Fully Equipped Defender for Sale

We came across Peter and Stefi again today.

They plan to finish their South American trip in mid October 2008.

They will be ready to sell the Defender at that time.

Price in USD is $30,000.

Delivery in Columbia or another point in the North of SA.

If interested, PM me and I will put you in contact with Peter via email.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
dhackney said:
We came across Peter and Stefi again today.

They plan to finish their South American trip in mid October 2008.

They will be ready to sell the Defender at that time.

Price in USD is $30,000.

Delivery in Columbia or another point in the North of SA.

If interested, PM me and I will put you in contact with Peter via email.

That would be an awesome rig and sounds like a great price. Not sure on importing it though...

Jack

dhackney

Expedition Leader
locrwln said:
Not sure on importing it though...

Jack

Jack,

I had only considered a fly/buy/explore/sell scenario when speaking with Peter.

I haven't researched importing non US market vehicles into the US in many years. Back when I did it was a pretty ugly process. I can't imagine it's gotten any nicer.

One of the reasons Peter and Stefi are considering selling it is that they will have to spend some money to make it complient with Swiss law/requirements if they bring it home.

I don't know if you could bring it back into the US or not.

The scenario would probably be optimum if you sold it after using it down here just as the Germans who originally brought it to SA did.

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior