Overlander Camper Frame Material: Aluminium vs Mild Steel vs Stainless Steel?

FurthurMore

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Some really good info.

I like the links to similar truck camper builds; I’ll definitely check those out in detail.

Weight is for sure an issue with steel, but you may be able to go to a lighter material using steel as a fairly strong structure can be created using gusseting, dimple dies, etc. to reinforce the structural elements of your frame, so the weight changes between steel and aluminum may not be as significant. Apart from weight, it seems like your main concern with the thinner-walled steel was corrosion, but I don't think you'll need to worry about internal corrosion -- you can always chemically treat the interior of the box sections to prevent rust (I strongly recommend Fluid Film -- in an enclosed frame it should last forever and virtually eliminate the risk of rust). I've done a few projects that way -- paint on the outside, FF on the inside -- and they are like new.

Mild steel, if built correctly with attention to detail and proper rain water, road spray, drainage design considerations, rust will never be an issue. The issue is allowing water to drain once it finds its way in....... which it alway will, plus using insulation not affected by water infiltration

Good points, thanks. Based on what everyone has been saying here, I’m leaning towards going with mild steel for the frame, as it will just make my life easier especially with welding. Coat the inside with linseed oil or Fluid Film as suggested, and I could put a small tapped hole with a screw at the bottom of each tube member for occasional draining if needed.

As people have mentioned, I’ve have probably gone overkill with the frame structure, so I’ll look into removing some of the members to save a bit of weight, especially if I am going with steel.

If you do keep considering aluminium, rather than the huge challenge that welding poses have a look at Huck bolts (generic term lock bolts) Famously strong and very resistant to vibration.

From a quick search of Huck bolts, it doesn’t look possible to use these when you don’t have access to the back of the part you are bolting, e.g. half way down an 8ft square tube. Is this the case? In a similar vein, I suppose I could use blind rivnuts/nutserts, but I think they have a tendency to come loose and spin when experiencing a lot of vibration.

Foam core panels with skins of fiberglass, aluminum, or wood (on the inside) are not that hard to do, and provide good strength, stiffness, and insulation. There are many examples of that on ExPo that have been successful.

The best solution is frameless using fibreglass/polyurethane foam/fibreglass sandwich panel.
No cold connections, no high stress points, lighter, stronger, water proof, better insulation, minimal tools and skills. And it is easy
No competition.

The main reason I’m choosing not to go with composite foam-core panels is because they are significantly more expensive than a welded frame and riveted construction, and I am working to a fairly tight budget. No doubt though, composite panels have benefits such as lighter weight and less thermal bridging.

My estimates for cost for a camper box constructed of a welded box section frame ($500-1100, depending on material) with 1mm aluminium sheet metal panels ($1200) externally coated in bedliner ($1000), held onto the frame with rivets ($300), and with XPS foam insulation ($500), gives a total of $3500-4000 for a complete camper shell.
On the other hand, pre-cut composite panel kits as linked by REF are ~$10,000. Even if I bought and cut my own ready-made composite panels, I’m looking at least $7000+ (at least based on the readily available online prices I could find; maybe there are cheaper options but I’d have to dig deeper) and I would then still need to make an outer framework to hold it all together. If I could find a supplier of composite panels that works out cheaper then I may strongly consider that method.
I’ll read more into the viability of custom bonding my own composite panels, as perhaps that would work out to a similar cost as a welded and riveted frame.

Personally, I prefer wood. Even though nobody else does.
But when compared to anything metal, it is superior in one way that I could never overlook... thermal performance.
It is simply amazing just how well this camper performs in ANY weather.
And at the end of the day, that is job #1 for a camper. To protect its occupants from weather.
8 years on the road now, and going stronger and looking better than ever

Very cool that you made that all out of wood. What is the outside coated with, fiberglass?

Thermal bridging would be a MAJOR issue with having the inner and outer skins both attached directly to a metal frame. No matter how much insulation you put in the voids, the heat or cold would be transmitted directly to the interior, making heating and cooling MUCH harder...

Are you dead set on a welded metal frame and sheet metal panels? Even if you will always be in mild weather, insulation is a good thing.

Sorry, I should have explained. Yes, there will be insulation foam board bonded onto the outer metal skin. To combat thermal bridging from the metal frame, non-corner members will be half the width of the corner members. Thus, I can overlay a thinner section of foam insulation over these, so no metal parts fully bridge from outside to inside. I hope the cross-sectional view below illustrates what I mean. Any thoughts on constructing the walls like this?

wall cross-section.png

FurthurMore

Diagonal bracing should always run corner to corner of a wall or panel (spaces between verticals). If you diagonal brace the panel at one end of the wall diagonal bracing the pane at the other end of the wall is not necessary.

Thanks for the reply. Are you referring to the corners of the box where I have diagonal braces on all three of the perpendicular planes (in the image in my initial post)? Maybe it’s overkill but my intention here is not just structural but also to stave off distortion when welding by first tacking the diagonal braces before doing full joint welds. Do you mean this should be done differently?

The cross members for the floor and roof should be continuous and the longitudinals should be intercostal.

Do you mind explaining what the importance behind that is?

TiG welding produces 2X the distortion vs. MIG welding.

I thought TIG causes less distortion than MIG due to a smaller heat-affected zone? I tried looking online and I can’t find much definitive information at all on which method causes less distortion. Although I did find this video which seems to say that TIG causes less distortion in sheet metal work so I assume it would apply to framework welding as well?:
Again, I’ve never used TIG before so I have no idea myself.

john61ct

Adventurer
Huck bolts are not just one design, vary for use in many use cases

including blind models for access from one side only, often a replacement for welding in automotive / truck / trailer suspension components

john61ct

Adventurer
@Alloy "intercostal" ?

I find a category of chest muscles attached to ribs

and of course intercoastal.

Could you link to an explanation or diagrams etc for your meaning in this context?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Sorry, I should have explained. Yes, there will be insulation foam board bonded onto the outer metal skin. To combat thermal bridging from the metal frame, non-corner members will be half the width of the corner members. Thus, I can overlay a thinner section of foam insulation over these, so no metal parts fully bridge from outside to inside. I hope the cross-sectional view below illustrates what I mean. Any thoughts on constructing the walls like this?

View attachment 639462

Only issues I have with that are the fasteners between dissimilar metals, and the cold bridges created by fasteners.

The dissimilar metal contact will cause corrosion in short order.
Similarly, Rivet-Alum-Steel-Screw connections, as shown, will likely rot out the plywood due to temp differences and condensation (on the inside of the cabin)

Solution? For that assembly, ditch the rivets all-together and go with VBM tape or an adhesive.
And for the welded nut, riv-nuts would likely be a great alternative, as already mentioned.

Joe917

Explorer
Lots of frost bridging in your method. Your corners will be Ice cold and you will get condensation in the corners and on every screw head. Metal construction is not suitable for cold conditions.
There is no need for external metal structure on a composite panel build.

rruff

Explorer
I’ll read more into the viability of custom bonding my own composite panels, as perhaps that would work out to a similar cost as a welded and riveted frame.

Similar or lower cost, probably less learning curve since you don't know how to weld, lighter, and better insulating.

I built a camper 20 years ago that was similar to Idasho's method, and have no qualms about recommending that. I lived in it for a few years and beat the crap out of it and it was flawless. The "torsion box" video posted earlier is a similar idea. I coated it all with a good layer of wet laid fiberglass and then gelcoat. The only reason I'm doing it different now (wet layup fiberglass and carbon on PVC foam and no wood) is because I have more money to spend and I like trying different things. :unsure:

The only thing that would shy me away from just skins glued to garden variety XPS is that some people (camper builders and surfboard makers) have had issues with outgassing and debonding at higher temperatures. Plus the foam is weak in the best of circumstances, and better alternatives are expensive. But you can allay any worries about that by using some internal wood structure in the core... like in the video I mentioned but not so excessive... just enough to give extra support to the foam, and keep the skins where they belong. Say vertical 1x board strips on edge every 18" or so, with thinner strips laid in between with similar spacing. The foam will be cut to precisely fit in those spaces. That will be your core. If there are any gaps seal them with expanding foam, and glue the skins to both the foam and wood strip edges.

At any rate it would be best to start thinking in terms of structural panels, rather than attaching stuff to frames. Go to your local building store and buy some thin ply, boards, XPS (the highest rated they've got) and PLP glue, and make some samples and see what you think.

john61ct

Adventurer
There is no need for external metal structure on a composite panel build.
In my case, need to support 600-800lbs of gear on a roof rack.

Hence the idea of a fully external lifting frame

with an insulated "living pod" that sits within,

the top half pulled upwards lifted by the rack above

whole pod can be removed so the trailer has working utility when not using it for camping.

john61ct

Adventurer
There need be no bridging with that idea, since all the structural framing is outside

the pod has very little load bearing strength, other than "wind" resistance and internal cabinetry and bunks

DIY composite or maybe even foamie PMF with some strategically embedded wood should do, design for as light weight as possible

and good insulation for ski area camping in northern winters.

Joe917

Explorer
In my case, need to support 600-800lbs of gear on a roof rack.

Hence the idea of a fully external lifting frame

with an insulated "living pod" that sits within,

the top half pulled upwards lifted by the rack above

whole pod can be removed so the trailer has working utility when not using it for camping.
That is a different case. A composite camper does not require any external strengthening. Our truck carried 500 lbs of spare leaf springs on the roof for 23 years on a steel roof rack that was only supported by the box corners. One of the first things I removed. All that weight up high is crazy.

HAF

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Some really good info.

I like the links to similar truck camper builds; I’ll definitely check those out in detail.

Good points, thanks. Based on what everyone has been saying here, I’m leaning towards going with mild steel for the frame, as it will just make my life easier especially with welding. Coat the inside with linseed oil or Fluid Film as suggested, and I could put a small tapped hole with a screw at the bottom of each tube member for occasional draining if needed.

As people have mentioned, I’ve have probably gone overkill with the frame structure, so I’ll look into removing some of the members to save a bit of weight, especially if I am going with steel.

From a quick search of Huck bolts, it doesn’t look possible to use these when you don’t have access to the back of the part you are bolting, e.g. half way down an 8ft square tube. Is this the case? In a similar vein, I suppose I could use blind rivnuts/nutserts, but I think they have a tendency to come loose and spin when experiencing a lot of vibration.

The main reason I’m choosing not to go with composite foam-core panels is because they are significantly more expensive than a welded frame and riveted construction, and I am working to a fairly tight budget. No doubt though, composite panels have benefits such as lighter weight and less thermal bridging.

My estimates for cost for a camper box constructed of a welded box section frame ($500-1100, depending on material) with 1mm aluminium sheet metal panels ($1200) externally coated in bedliner ($1000), held onto the frame with rivets ($300), and with XPS foam insulation ($500), gives a total of $3500-4000 for a complete camper shell.
On the other hand, pre-cut composite panel kits as linked by REF are ~$10,000. Even if I bought and cut my own ready-made composite panels, I’m looking at least $7000+ (at least based on the readily available online prices I could find; maybe there are cheaper options but I’d have to dig deeper) and I would then still need to make an outer framework to hold it all together. If I could find a supplier of composite panels that works out cheaper then I may strongly consider that method.

Very cool that you made that all out of wood. What is the outside coated with, fiberglass?

View attachment 639462
Those countersunk screws will transfer cold to interior. They can act as a bridge. Metal has no insulation value and will transfer cold. When the cold hits the head of screw where it will be warmer, condensation can result. You could try using fiberglass fasteners (Mcmaster Carr). If you use foil face insulation, you could apply glue before the plywood. An alternate to plywood (heavy) would be KAPATECH. Its a 3/8" thick foam board with thin aluminum face on either side. Glue to Foil insulation-you get more insulation value. You could then use fiberglass screws to further secure it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94