Overland XJ Build. Not my first Rodeo.....(video included)

Overland History

Wanderluster
Can you provide more details on the swap? I currently have the same setup sitting in the garage. Can you show the throttle bracket? What did you do for the transmission? Are you using the AW4 if so are you using something like a radesign shifter? Did you get the factory gauges to work?

I've got a stock AX-15 5spd Jeep Trans attached to the OM617 via an adapter from Doomsday Diesel. There is another Adapter kit on the market that I ran before the Doomsday Diesel kit, and it was absolute junk. The Doomsday Kit is the only one worth buying that won't cause issues!

Check out the "OM617 Swaps" Facebook Group. You'll find a lot of great information there! ;)

Overland History

Wanderluster
Hey everyone! Just thought I’d stop by the thread really quick for an update!

I moved out to Prescott, Arizona back in early February for a new job within the Overland Community. I drove the XJ 2,100miles from VA to AZ over 3 days, and the Mercedes Turbo-Diesel ran flawless, and continues to!

I move into my new house this weekend and I’ve got a bunch of projects to do on the XJ, so I’ll make sure to keep this thread updated!

Here’s a recent shot from here in AZ:

65C02BA2-E95E-40AE-A68D-DBF183738D1F.jpeg

W0lfpack91

Hey everyone! Just thought I’d stop by the thread really quick for an update!

I moved out to Prescott, Arizona back in early February for a new job within the Overland Community. I drove the XJ 2,100miles from VA to AZ over 3 days, and the Mercedes Turbo-Diesel ran flawless, and continues to!

I move into my new house this weekend and I’ve got a bunch of projects to do on the XJ, so I’ll make sure to keep this thread updated!

Here’s a recent shot from here in AZ:

View attachment 590189
Welcome to the neighborhood. I grew up in Prescott, currently live up the road in camp verde/rimrock area by Montezuma's well. Hope to see you out there on the trails one day. Would love to see your XJ. I can honestly say your youtube video was the inspiration behind my recent XJ purchase.
865ef5f1da3a4744fd3243b2ae9b8382.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Overland History

Wanderluster
Thanks so much everyone! It's been a little over 5 years since I started this thread on 10/16/15, wow!

Here's a couple pics of the XJ from a couple of days ago! I recently sold my Roofnest Hardshell RTT and went with a new JCR Offroad Roof Rack.

My new focus is making the Jeep as light and efficient as possible!

The Mercedes Turbo-Diesel is still running fantastic, and is getting some BIG Power goodies soon! ;)

536283E2-2CD2-4E8C-A60B-E27BDAC932A1.jpeg

969308E5-7347-46F3-8456-410EE9C15E1F.jpeg

CAPTNDAVIE

Observer
Always liked your Jeep. Wasn't sure how I would like the grille change but I think it looks good! I always wanted an ARB roof rack for my Cherokee but this one is growing on me quickly. And the Mercedes swap is awesome!

NOTNSUV

Thanks so much everyone! It's been a little over 5 years since I started this thread on 10/16/15, wow!

Here's a couple pics of the XJ from a couple of days ago! I recently sold my Roofnest Hardshell RTT and went with a new JCR Offroad Roof Rack.

My new focus is making the Jeep as light and efficient as possible!

The Mercedes Turbo-Diesel is still running fantastic, and is getting some BIG Power goodies soon! ;)

View attachment 619605

View attachment 619606
How's that JCR roof rack?
XJ2.jpgBeen shopping recently and had my mind nearly made up on the JCR when i found another "basket" for nearly 1/2 price. JCR should use your photo.. it's got me back on that for top choice. Realizing it's a rack, not a basket. Lower profile might be the way to go. Just picked up 2 sets of X-bull tracks, one of the primary things I want to haul up there. Have Rotopax and hi-lift on the rear tire carrier (also JCR) so no need for those up there. I'm assuming the JCR accessory stuff will accommodate shovel, etc.?
Fishing kayak should work up there too.
Thanks for any feedback.

Overland History

Wanderluster
The XJ is currently under the knife!

I ordered custom suspension(custom spec'd coils and leaf springs from Alcan) for the XJ for a better ride on and offroad. I'll be adding King Shocks to all 4 corners to complete the setup soon!

Back in November, I picked up an XJ Dana 44 rear axle as well as a reinforced non-trussed D30 front, both with 4.56 gears. I'm going to run the 4.56 gears with my 31in tires to see if I like the gearing with the Mercedes Turbo-Diesel's power. If not, I'll switch back to my current 4.10 gears, add selectable lockers, and then upgrade the Turbo and Injection pump at a later date. ;)

A few pics of the custom suspension installed and mocking up the D44 to confirm the pinion length difference between the D44 and my old non c-clip D35 won't be an issue in regards to driveshaft length.(I compensated for this when I ordered the Tom Woods Driveshafts a few months ago)

FD4D1A93-C33C-4EB9-ACA7-7274974A24E5.jpeg

A662C612-92CE-4C1E-A9ED-8DB8F7FD885C.jpeg

Custom Alcan Spring Leaf Packs got bolted in last night! :cool:

IMG_4559.jpeg

More to come, I expect the XJ to be back on the road in a couple of weeks! :cool:(y) Once the new leaf packs and D44 axle is bolted in, I'll start on the disc brake conversion that I've got waiting for it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles