Overland XJ Build. Not my first Rodeo.....(video included)

Overland History

Wanderluster
Sunday was an extremely proud day for me and I find myself with a full heart. ❤ When I started building my Jeep almost two years ago, I dreamt of building a go-anywhere adventure vehicle with all of the amenities of home, and to one day have it featured in a Major Offroad Magazine. Bryon Dorr of www.exploringelements.com (Instagram: @explorelements) and I met randomly last year while he was stealth camping with some friends along a river bank in Asheville, NC right before Overland Expo East. I saw a picture that he posted on Instagram of the rigs, and I just happened to drive by shortly after and spot them, so I introduced myself. Bryon contacted me earlier this year about shooting the XJ to be featured in the magazine. I never thought that this Jeep could open so many doors to meet so many awesome and inspiring Adventure Travelers, but it has! After seeing Bryon in action Sunday as a professional photographer and writer, I have an entirely new respect and admiration for his work. As I said before, I'm honored, humbled, excited and flattered that all of my hard work on this Jeep was noticed. Thank you again Bryon, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the published pictures came out!  #OverlandXJ #OverlandHistory

IMG_8686.jpg

More updates coming before the end of the week! :)

Last edited:

Overland History

Wanderluster
Time is really flying!

I've been so busy since the Expedition with Mountain State Overland over a month ago, that I haven't updated this thread at all!

I have a lot of updates and details coming, but in the meantime, I'll tell you all what I've been planning....

On June 9th weekend, I'm putting together a 20-vehicle Historic Expedition through VA and WV.(I might include MD). I've been working hard on routes, destinations and timing to make sure it all works.

If any of you find yourself interested, post up or send me a message. :)

I've also been busy working on my website as well(which isn't live yet). www.overlandhistory.com

I should have all of my tech updates and pictures compiled by the end of the week, so stay tuned for that.

In the meantime, here's some pics of the "Overland History" XJ on some of my more recent Historic Exploration trips, just incase you forgot what it looks like. ;)

IMG_8066.jpg

IMG_8715.jpg

IMG_9791.jpg

JY VPI

This build thread is incredible! Thank you for documenting it.

I'm new around here and figure my first post should be here in your thread. Greetings from another XJ owner on the other side of Virginia. I'm in Blacksburg and have the fortune of living in one of the most beautiful and history rich parts of the Commonwealth. Fascinated by overlanding from afar, I stumbled across ExPo and then MSOverland's Instagram account which posted a picture of your rig yesterday. Reading through this entire build thread off and on all day, and here I am.

I picked up a great condition '00 XJ about a month ago that has some budget boost mods on it. Not particularly handy nor do I know anything about driving off pavement, but I have two little boys excited to make memories in our "new" adventuremobile. Will be keeping an eye on your adventures and hope to learn more about overlanding and maybe join you out there someday. If you're ever in a pinch in southwest VA, I'm here to help.

Last edited:

lonewolf55337

Great looking Jeep, seems like the past few years the value of a good XJ has jumped.

I really should start a build thread on my '92.

Overland History

Wanderluster
There's SOOOOOO much to update on this Thread.

But, here I am, reminding myself to dig back into this and breathe some life into it.

More updates as the week goes by! :D

Photos by Chris Cordes of Expedition Portal.
IMG_3787.JPG

IMG_3786 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Overland History

Wanderluster
As of the New Year, the XJ got a couple of upgrades! :D

New Cooper Tires STT Pro's in 31x10.5r15's.

And also, a brand new RoofNest Sparrow X. This tent has a built in Roof Rack so I can mount a Kayak and Bike on top for even more adventures!! :D

Link to the tent: https://roofnest.com/product/sparrow-x/#toggle-id-1

I just got done building a new roof rack that will lower the tent closer to the roofline of the XJ, eliminating the gap that you see in this pic. ;)

B551A5AA-F91E-41CE-B3C1-2CDB6B22BEB6.jpg

More pics soon!! 

Last edited:

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Did you just modify that rack or did you completely rebuild one? What are your plans for that one if it still exists?

85cj7boy

Wow sweet build! I was wondering if you have ever had problems with not having valves on each side of your water tank. It seems to me that if you were not perfectly level that you might suck one side dry before the other. If you put a ball valve on both sides then you could set it up like a main and reserve. Much like dirtbike and 4wheeler gas tanks. Can't wait to see the progress and future of your build.

Also on your pressure issue with the hot water side. What if you put a "T" in and routed a return line back to the tank for your relief? That way you never loose water.

For a hot shower without running the engine during the shower you could use an orange igloo water cooler as a tank to store "hot" water for the shower and then use gravity to drain out for your shower. The water will stay hot throughout the time and you don't have to have exhaust and shower.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles