Overland XJ Build. Not my first Rodeo.....(video included)

Overland History

Wanderluster
I managed to find a Unicorn in the junkyard yesterday!

I stumbled upon this jewel while looking for a hood release cable...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Being that the MJ that I pulled this setup out of is Automatic, it was likely rarely used and appears to function perfectly!

image.jpg

It's even got the original rubber stopper still intact...

image.jpg

The original copper mechanism for the Brake Light is also completely intact...

image.jpg

Being that this assembly appears to have a lot less use, I may just clean it up, paint it and swap it into the XJ.

My old assembly might become a spare, or it might just go up for sale to the highest bidder. ;)

2drx4

Adventurer
Where is that yard? The back glass, seat brackets, interior pieces from the rear part of the cab, fuel tank, rear flares, tailgate, and taillights are gold to MJ owners as they are all very unavailable.

jswift716

Adventurer
I managed to find a Unicorn in the junkyard yesterday!

I stumbled upon this jewel while looking for a hood release cable...

View attachment 357581

View attachment 357582

View attachment 357584

Being that the MJ that I pulled this setup out of is Automatic, it was likely rarely used and appears to function perfectly!

View attachment 357585

It's even got the original rubber stopper still intact...

View attachment 357586

The original copper mechanism for the Brake Light is also completely intact...

View attachment 357587

Being that this assembly appears to have a lot less use, I may just clean it up, paint it and swap it into the XJ.

My old assembly might become a spare, or it might just go up for sale to the highest bidder. ;)
You have all the luck dude, let me know what you decide to do with the spare

Overland History

Wanderluster
Where is that yard? The back glass, seat brackets, interior pieces from the rear part of the cab, fuel tank, rear flares, tailgate, and taillights are gold to MJ owners as they are all very unavailable.

The yard is called "Pick-n-Pull". You can find that MJ on their website. The zip that it's located is 23451.

Overland History

Wanderluster
This is slightly off-topic because I'm right in the middle of plumbing the lines for the On-Board hot water shower, but I managed to get the XJ's windows tinted today. A buddy of mine does window tint at his shop, so I couldn't pass up a $150 deal!

I went with super dark tint, to be able to conceal any gear I may have inside, as well as for privacy during the times I'm using the sleep platform.

This is 20% in the front windows and 5% for the passenger and rear windows. I drove it last night and didn't have any issues at night, since the XJ has very little blind spots in the first place!

image.jpg

You can see that the front window is a fair bit easier to see through in this pic....

image.jpg

Anyways, hoping to have the Hot Water shower system plumbed and finished by this weekend, pics and write-up to follow! :D

Last edited:

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
Every vehicle I have/had has had 20% in the front and 5% on all the others. My f-250 extended cab I could crank the A/C for 10 minutes then shut it off and take a nap for an hour in the Texas summer before I started getting warm.

Overland History

Wanderluster
I managed to get the On-Board Hot Water Shower System completely plumbed this past weekend! :D

I put it together enough to test it this evening after picking up the last of the fittings I needed.

The shower system works excellent with absolutely no leaks! :D :D

The Thermostatic Mixing Valve works great to regulate the water temperature. The water literally can get hot enough to make instant coffee!! :Wow1:

The shower system will be completely done once I find a place to mount the thermostatic mixing valve and pull out shower head sprayer. It needs to be built into the sleep platform properly, and that build starts this weekend! ;)

I'll have a full write-up with pics for the shower system posted over the next night or two.

Here's a little preview pic of the Heat Exchanger mounted on the passenger side firewall of the engine bay. I'm still working out fittings to reduce the number of hose unions on the coolant flow side, but so far this is working with no leaks.

image.jpg

bstehle

************ build so far. I'm just trying to live through you since your building my dream rig lol. Nice work!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Shower setup is looking pretty sweet! Nice work on the tint deal too, nice look and keep it safe and cool. Red XJ's are sweet!

BajaDent

Observer
Baja,

Really diggin the build thread... Im in the process of building my YJ that was my dads before he died. Next will be my brothers 87 XJ which I will also be posting a build thread on. Keep of the great work, Im getting some great ideas I want to do to my brothers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles