Overland XJ Build. Not my first Rodeo.....(video included)

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
I've been "that guy" before for the exact same thing. No fun working on a smoking hot brake setup on hot asphalt in the Texas summer.

Overland History

Wanderluster
A light bulb went off when driving home from work tonight about my concerns with refrigerator storage.

I of course plan to buy a drawer refrigerator, likely the Waeco CD-30 and build a sleep platform with built-in drawers and cubbies for storage in the back of the XJ. Well, the Waeco-CD30 isn't very big, but I can make it work. In addition to it, I think a console Fridge/Freezer would compliment it well, not to mention easily accessible while on the road!

I used to own an '88 Jeep Comanche MJ Longbed. The consoles are non-existent due to the bench seating, which is great! My plan is to convert over to an MJ shifter bezel and remove the storage console in between the seats and install a console Fridge/Freezer like the Dometic CDF-11.

Problem solved and now I'll have better cup holders! :D

Here's the MJ Comanche interior. As you can see, the shifter/4wd bezel is smaller and doesn't extend back which would allow me to install the Fridge console. If you look close, the Emergency Brake Pedal is mounted just to the left of the brake pedal with a release just above it.

MJ interior.jpg

This is the current setup in my XJ which i'll need to remove. The problem I'm going to run into is that my Emergency Brake is mounted on the top of the Transmission Tunnel within the console. I'm going to have to hit a junk yard and keep an eye out for the floor-mounted pedal, cable and release mechanism to do the conversion.

XJ interior.jpg

After I find the parts, this is going in between my seats. This is the Dometic CDF-11 console Fridge/Freezer. I think it'll nestle in there nicely! :D

cdf-11.jpg

Its not cheap, but reasonable enough to spend the money at $323.00 shipped on Amazon! :D

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005X97OHA/ref=twister_B014EVCXJ6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Overland History

Wanderluster
Cold beer within reach!

Haha not really the idea, especially when Overlanding! The idea is really to use it as a freezer, since all of the reviews and research I've done say that it does an excellent job at it.

I've got a buddy of mine that has 2 parts XJ's on his property that have the pedal E-brake setups. If anyone knows about a parts MJ Comanche with the console I'm looking for, I'd sure appreciate it!

Gonna be a nice day tomorrow for my day off, gonna do some wrenching, measuring, and maybe a little fabricating!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have a Dometic CF-35 and love it. They are very well made and work awesome. On 12v with the power turned way down they hardly use any juice. Do yourself a favor and get a 2nd house battery setup for that (if you don't already). I still have to wire one in. I plan on using either the Blue Sea auto switching relay or a Cole Hearse setup and an Optima Blue Top deep cycle.

Nice setup, and good work on the sign install/garbage cleanup!

Overland History

Wanderluster
I have a Dometic CF-35 and love it. They are very well made and work awesome. On 12v with the power turned way down they hardly use any juice. Do yourself a favor and get a 2nd house battery setup for that (if you don't already). I still have to wire one in. I plan on using either the Blue Sea auto switching relay or a Cole Hearse setup and an Optima Blue Top deep cycle.

Nice setup, and good work on the sign install/garbage cleanup!

Thank you! Our entire club worked hard that weekend! Kudos to those guys!

I agree with your battery suggestion! I'm planning on an Auxillary deep cycle camp battery to run everything, with a source on/off boat switch to my main engine battery in which I can maintain/charge the Aux battery as I see fit. The main focus of the solar will be the Aux battery, but I'll wire it so that my Engine crank battery can see the benefit as well, if needed.

The idea is to install all of the refrigeration units on an auxiliary battery system, which will be deep cycle Optimas, likely. The plan is to have enough solar panel to charge it sufficiently.

The majority, if not all of the solar panels will be mounted on the wind deflector that I'm going to build to mount just above the windshield with a built-in LED light bar.

With that said, back to the reality of where the build really is...

Last edited:

Overland History

Wanderluster
Well, minimal progress on the XJ is still progress. I hit the junkyard last week for cosmetic parts and grabbed a few things that'll be beneficial to the build in the long run.

I picked up a new lower dash bezel, as the one that was original was not only cracked, worn and broken, but the original ash tray was broken off.

Removing the lower dash bezel...

image.jpg

The lower corner of the ash tray was broken off, the entire bezel had to be replaced.
image.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure as HELL not a smoker.....(explanation shortly)

Anyways, while I had the lower dash bezel out, I knew that the intermittent wiper module wasn't working properly. That got swapped out easily while I was in there... :D

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Overland History

Wanderluster
Here is the old bezel and new bezel. The old one had a large crack in the bottom right of the ashtray and broken tabs where the ashtray mounts...

image.jpg

Behind the ashtray is a square hole in which I can run wires. The plan is to install a few Aux light switches in the ashtray so they're hidden....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Drilled a hole in the back to be able to run wires later....

image.jpg

Installed...

image.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Good call on the battery setup, and I dig the ashtray hidden switch idea. Great use for something otherwise useless (well to a non smoker).

Overland History

Wanderluster
I've been busy as hell lately with school, but I have managed to get a few things done on the XJ.

My Father surprised me with an early Birthday gift of new headlights with H4 bulbs and turn signal lenses.

image.jpg

Before:

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

After:

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I absolutely HATE the clear corners, but I installed them just to appease my Father and swapped them back to the originals the next day! :D

As you can see, the yellow bulb harness is exposed and looks terrible, lol.

image.jpg

Swapped back in the old corner lenses....

image.jpg

Last edited:

Overland History

Wanderluster
Since the headlights came with new wiring harnesses, which are absolutely necessary to install due to the risk of burning up the stock harness with the H4 bulb upgrade, I went ahead and wired them up...

For some odd reason, the wiring harness on the driver's side had double wiring and the passenger side only single. I'm at a loss there....

image.jpg

I cut off the stock harness and wired in the new ones...

image.jpg

Please feel free to laugh at my soldering skills, but hey, at least it's done right! :D

image.jpg

I used liquid electrical tape to cover up the soldering, rather than shrink tube. I think the liquid electrical tape is a better option for sealing the wiring to avoid corrosion. It acts just like wiring insulation and is able to seal the exposed wire completely. I did it this way because the Jeep will likely see creek and river crossings when Overlanding, and I don't want to possibly lose headlights out in the field!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Overland History

Wanderluster
I also pulled out the rear seats, seat belts and cargo area carpet in preparation for the Camping Shower to be installed(plans for that later...), console freezer and rear drawer refrigerator, tool drawer and sleep/cargo platform to be designed and installed. :D

Out came the rear passenger seats...

image.jpg
image.jpg

I had to cut out the T50 seatbelt bolts, as they decided to weld themselves in over time...

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I also yanked out the cargo area carpet to check for rust, and hell if my suspicion was correct! Just like the rust holes in the rear passenger floor board, this rust follows the exhaust right out to the back of the Jeep!

image.jpg

As you can see, the tip of the exhaust peeks out from under the bumper and the rust follows it forward!

image.jpg

As I did some more poking, wire brushing and hammering, the rust holes only got worse and bigger! I'm going to cut out the rust over the next couple of days and use some scrap to tack weld in some new pieces. Since some of these holes are dangerously close to the fuel tank, I'm going to have to drop and remove it from the Jeep. Good news is that I can replace the fuel pump while I'm in there for peace of mind! I may also cut an access hole to the top of the tank for ease of changing the fuel pump later! :D

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    568.7 KB · Views: 127

mtbxj87

Adventurer
No need to cut a hole for the pump. It's right there in front of the tank. Take a look behind your differential. 97+ you have to drop the tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94