Overland XJ Build. Not my first Rodeo.....(video included)

Overland History

Wanderluster
Installed the new distributor and rotor....

image.jpg

It's always good practice to make sure your distributor is properly indexed when installing it. Here's a great write-up on how to do so:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/dist_index.html

I attempted to start the Jeep and got absolutely no spark even after confirming that my distributor was indeed properly indexed.

The problem ended up being a bad ignition pickup, which came with the brand new distributor. I swapped back in the old ignition pickup from my old distributor and the Jeep fired right up!

Since I purchased it from O'Reilly's Auto Parts, I took it back to them and they promptly swapped it out for a new one. Excellent customer service!

Bad ignition pickup....

image.jpg
image.jpg

That's all for now! Pics from Camping with my 4x4 club from Thurs-Sun to follow! :camping::friday:

Last edited:

mtbxj87

Adventurer
I used the energy suspension motor mount inserts on my 4.0 I really like them. Good upgrade before the Brown Dog mounts

DPH1LLY

Awesome progress on the XJ! Seems like you're doing everything the RIGHT way in no time at all! Can't wait for the pictures of it on the trip.

Overland History

Wanderluster
Had an excellent weekend camping with my 4WD club Tidewater Fourwheelers at Sherando Lake in Lyndhurst, VA. The Forest Service allowed our group to camp for free in the picnic area of the campground since we volunteered our time to clean up the Bald Mountain Jeep Trail and install new signs over the 10 mile trail. :D

Hope y'all enjoy the pics!

image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Overland History

Wanderluster
We walked the majority of the trail and attached bags to the rigs to pick up trash....

image.jpg

Matt found some trail undies....

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

A couple of pics of the rigs. I didn't wheel my red XJ because I didn't want to have to remove my RTT, plus I wanted to walk the trail to pick up as much trash as possible.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Overland History

Wanderluster
A couple of the signs that we installed along the trail....

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

And I'll leave y'all with my favorite pic of the weekend of Sherando Lake. Watching the leaves change is truly spectacular this time of the year in the Virginia mountains! :D

image.jpeg

Overland History

Wanderluster
A little side note about how no good deed goes unpunished....

My ex-girlfriend's(whom I'm still good friends with) '06 Audi A6 decided to have headlight electrical issues as I was getting back from my trip.

Well I spent some time pulling the front end apart to not only change some bulbs, but also repair the wiring harness inside the headlight housings.

I'd like to give Audi a forehead high five for this....

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Once I opened up the headlight housings, I find the insulation on the wiring flaking off.....

image.jpg
image.jpg

....Sooo needless to say it took me hours to rewire the harnesses on the headlights so her and her kid don't lose headlights while driving at night.

Aaaaaaanyways, as they say, no good deed goes unpunished.

While I was driving home from taking care of that, my passenger side front brake caliper decided to lock up on me at about 60mph. I smelled it first, then felt the vibes and pull to the right. I pulled over immediately and saw the smoke from the rotor, but I knew what it was before I even got out.

I limped the Jeep only 3 miles(luckily) to the parts house and ended up being "that guy" in the parking lot, replacing my seized up caliper. The answer is yes, incase you're wondering, that I also replaced the drivers side caliper while I was in there! :D

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Yes, these nickel and diming issues bother me, because it seems constant with a 200K mile Jeep, but the fact that the issues AREN'T happening on my Pan-American Highway trip and are showing their ugly face now, is a good thing!

I'm hoping to install the 3in Lift, 31in MTs and 4.10 gears and Lockers within the next couple of weekends!

Stay tuned!

jswift716

Adventurer
I just replaced every brake component on all 4 corners except backing plates. Not a fun job at all

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier