Overland worthy belts - What is your preferred one?

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
I was just curious what others use for an adventure ready belt.

I have a nice thick brown leather belt that I made with the help of a friend and fine leather craftsman that gets worn nearly every day. Hand stitched and finished. I really enjoy it. It should last me a very long time but I would prefer to keep it in good condition rather than abuse it over the next year during our travels.

I have been doing some research and like the (5.11 Tactical Trainer Belt). Some features worthy of mention are:

• Could be use as a tie down, carry strap, or emergency harness
  • Stainless steel buckle with 6,000 lb rating.

What are you using? Natural or Syntheic?

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
I have had a Cabela's "Roughneck Jean Belt" for about 15 years. The only thing I don't like about it is they don't appear to be making them anymore and they don't have any left in my size.

The 5.11 stuff is really nice. I'm not really into the "tacti-cool" stuff but I wear one when in uniform.

xj joey

I have the 5.11 belt. Well built, stiff for clipping holsters and is adjustable if you eat to much. The velcro section that holds the extra length after you pull past the buckle is pretty long. It runs all the way out past the first loop on your pants. This makes it hard to put the extra length of belt through your pant loop. I usually just end up laying the extra over the loop. Or slide the belt buckle over to the opposite loop so there is less extra length to fish through.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I have been doing some research and like the (5.11 Tactical Trainer Belt). Some features worthy of mention are:

• Could be use as a tie down, carry strap, or emergency harness
  • Stainless steel buckle with 6,000 lb rating.

I'm fond of the Wilderness tactical belt for much the same reasons, and moved up to it from the 5.11 (also a nice belt). The Wilderness does stay shut better and has far more sizing options. The buckle also doesn't poke out as bad from under an untucked shirt. http://www.thewilderness.com/tactical-belts/

It's also available in ExPo approved titanium. :D

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I run the Wilderness Instructors belt (standard issue, not Ti). Solid belt and one nice thing is when you wear out or want to change the nylon belt body Wilderness does it for a reduced price when you send them in your buckle.

dusmw

Duluth Trading, double layer leather belt. I too have the Wilderness but the Duluth is my go to belt. Will most definitely outlast me!

shogun

Adventurer
I'm fond of the Wilderness tactical belt for much the same reasons, and moved up to it from the 5.11 (also a nice belt). The Wilderness does stay shut better and has far more sizing options. The buckle also doesn't poke out as bad from under an untucked shirt. http://www.thewilderness.com/tactical-belts/

It's also available in ExPo approved titanium. :D

Used these for over 20 yrs. Good belts but the downside is that they dont stay shut very well. They will get to a point that you just cant get them tight and they will loosen up in short order. Maybe the belt gets too slick?

Transitioned to he VolundGearWorks Atlas belt. Nice colors avail, absolutely/positively stay at the set diameter, and the "buckle" is ultra-low-profile. Just a flat front with nothing to jam in your gut.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Some very good suggestions. I'll have to do a bit more reading!

Out of curiosity how many item or gear do you keep on for extended travel for an overseas trip? This may affect you belt selection as well.

In my case I will only be carrying a small folding or fixed blade knife depending on location and laws.

Good belts but the downside is that they dont stay shut very well. They will get to a point that you just cant get them tight and they will loosen up in short order

Good feedback. In you experience, do you believe that this is caused simply due to wear and tear or is the loosening issue compounded by additional weight of items on the belt?

Cheers,
P

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Used these for over 20 yrs. Good belts but the downside is that they dont stay shut very well. They will get to a point that you just cant get them tight and they will loosen up in short order. Maybe the belt gets too slick?

Transitioned to he VolundGearWorks Atlas belt. Nice colors avail, absolutely/positively stay at the set diameter, and the "buckle" is ultra-low-profile. Just a flat front with nothing to jam in your gut.

Another good looking belt, nice and slim. You do loose the load bearing capacity to gain that low profile though, I noticed they actually caution against using it as a backup harness.

I've only had my Wilderness for 3 years, but I haven't had a problem with it coming loose yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94