Overland Volkswagen Type 181 (aka Thing, Trekker, Safari, Kubel)

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
So, after 18 years of sitting in storage, I've pulled my trusty but rusty old VW Thing out and brought it the 5 hours north to my house and new garage. This car has some major history and nostalgia for me. Prior to me owning it, it was my father's primary vehicle that was his daily driver, our camping vehicle that we used to explore alot of the backcountry of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, and just about everything in between.

The Thing didn't have an easy life, and never let us down or standed us. Even despite an overexuberant 16 year old me rolling it, it just kept taking the abuse and kept going.

Now, the years of sitting, combined with the use, and the effects of road salt from the long Michigan winters leaves it in a state of needing some MAJOR TLC. My plans are to completely dissasemble the vehicle, seperate the body from the chasis and slowly start the process of rebuilding and restoring it. My goal is to build it back, not to concours standards, but more to use for its purpose. Where my Land Cruiser falls on one extreme side of the spectrum of how to build an offroad vehicle, the Thing has to be the other extreme side. Super light, minimalist, and very old-school, yet progressive engineering that is suprisingly versatile and capable. It is going to be a fun challenge no doubt. Hopefully when its all done, I'll have a vehicle that melts away all the overly complex crap this hobby seems to be gravitating towards and embodies the absolute core of what I enjoy about it.

This will be a slow process, but hopefully by starting this thread, it will get me motivated! ha ha :sombrero: So, here I begin, down a long road of learning, sweat, likely some blood, and hopefully some fun along the way. ;) Stay tuned......

010-4.jpg

011-3.jpg

6Pins

Adventurer
We had that exact color when I was a kid, loved that Thing . I still remember seeing Towering Inferno and then Le Mans at the Salem Drive-In in that.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I saw a Thing during 4th of the July weekend during a lunch stop along the 395 in California.

A family made up of dad, mom, and two kids, were on a road trip in the Thing.

scarysharkface

Explorer
On day 1 of our UT, AZ and CO trip this summer, there was a VW meet in Effingham, Illinois, and we passed several Things in pristine condition. It was great! It brought back memories of a brother's best friend's numerous VW Beetles and Things, and how they drove those everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Low-tech and easy-peasy to work on...

John

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
On day 1 of our UT, AZ and CO trip this summer, there was a VW meet in Effingham, Illinois, and we passed several Things in pristine condition. It was great! It brought back memories of a brother's best friend's numerous VW Beetles and Things, and how they drove those everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Low-tech and easy-peasy to work on...

John

Its funny, our thing when I was a kid was usually the only vehicle that could get into our families camp here in the UP in November. It was about 10 miles of driving on unimproved dirt roads and two tracks to get to the cabin. Much to the annoyance of my uncles, the Thing could get all the way to the cabin, crossing a couple of rugged road washouts and mud holes, whereas their full size 4x4 suburban's and Broncos would get stuck or hung up. I remember my dad crawling under it in the mornings with a can of wd40 and a lighter trying to thaw out the drum brakes from their frozen state from the water ever day.

I remember my dad crawling under it in the mornings with a can of wd40 and a lighter trying to thaw out the drum brakes from their frozen state from the water ever day.

hah! I managed to get my Squareback stuck in the driveway like that once...I'll bet it took me fifteen minutes to figure out why it wouldn't move! Retreive salamander from shop-heat up brakes-drive back to college!

Love the 181, keep us up to date.

Cheers,

KAA

Jrally

Adventurer
Holy hell, a 181 with a-arms!!! That's sweet... I never liked the stock version of the Things, but when they are decked out for offroading then they really come to life.

-Jon

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Wow! Those things are pretty trick. Look at those remote reservoirs! I'm not doing anything that extreme. I'm going for a mild lift on mine and retaining the stock suspension technology! haha Very cool though, I'd love to go blasting down Baja in one of those!

Superu

Explorer
Very nice. Will be watching this build thread!

You may want to consider a Subie boxer engine transplant as noted in Thingtech.

This swap is very popular with the vanagon crowd. :ylsmoke:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Very nice Kristian. I always wanted one of those, but was just too into Land Rovers and IH trucks. Weel, actually what I wanted was a Kübelwagen, but that wasn't going to happen.
I really like that you're keeping it mostly stock, with light mods. I'd keep the original engine too, nice and simple and cheap to fix. And air-cooled really suits them.
x2 on keeping us up-to-date on your project, I look forward to seeing the end product.

Actually, what I really wanted was a Schwimmwagen. :)
VW_Schwimmwagen_1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94