Overland Truck Build?

Grassland

HDPP f150 uses a 9.75 Stirling rather than the 8.8 super. Although other configs give u the 9.75 as well but depends.
I think is 34 spline semi float?

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Alright, just so we are clear...

Comparing a 3/4 ton to a 1/2 ton, and assuming both with around 3k payload rating...

The 3/4 ton has a full floating axle rated at 7k+ and the 1/2 ton has a semi-floating axle rated at less than 5k

That alone should be enough for anyone looking to haul haul heavy make a decision.

D

Deleted member 9101

HDPP f150 uses a 9.75 Stirling rather than the 8.8 super. Although other configs give u the 9.75 as well but depends.
I think is 34 spline semi float?

Interestingly, there are 2 or 3 different 9.75 rear ends under the F150. I don't know all the differences, but I do know for 2021 if you get the Max Tow option you get new 9.75 with thicker axle tubes and it's considered 3/4 floating.

tacollie

Glamper
We carried our hawk in a Tundra for about 18 months. Our hawk is a shell model and only weighs 1000lbs. The Tundra had plenty of power and always felt adequate. It also always felt heavily loaded because it was over it's gvwr.

In December I bought a 6.2l F250 super cab to carry the camper. The F250 doesn't feel the camper. The solid axle has a lot more flex with stock shocks than my mid travel IFS on my Tundra. The stock height F250 has a lot more ground clearance. With 35s and the camper we are seeing 12.5mpg.

While I think you can make a F150 work I think the F250 is a better choice.

D

Deleted member 9101

We carried our hawk in a Tundra for about 18 months. Our hawk is a shell model and only weighs 1000lbs. The Tundra had plenty of power and always felt adequate. It also always felt heavily loaded because it was over it's gvwr.

In December I bought a 6.2l F250 super cab to carry the camper. The F250 doesn't feel the camper. The solid axle has a lot more flex with stock shocks than my mid travel IFS on my Tundra. The stock height F250 has a lot more ground clearance. With 35s and the camper we are seeing 12.5mpg.

While I think you can make a F150 work I think the F250 is a better choice.

I'm guessing that the Tundra and the F250 had similar gas mileage?

phsycle

Adventurer
To the OP, if you really are going after the minimalist lifestyle and want a smaller truck, you may need to accept that you need a much lighter set up. ie, GFC or Vagabond. Or accept the fact that a permanently attached camper will strain the drivetrain, suspension, etc on a light duty truck.
Everyone wants a truck that is easy to drive/park, haul 3k lbs, tow 15, drive through Rubicon, and gets 30mpg. It’s all a compromise.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Interestingly, there are 2 or 3 different 9.75 rear ends under the F150. I don't know all the differences, but I do know for 2021 if you get the Max Tow option you get new 9.75 with thicker axle tubes and it's considered 3/4 floating.

There is so much ignorance in that article its scary :oops:
My Norton antivirus also went bananas....

Multiple times it references BALL bearings in the hubs :ROFLMAO:

FYI, this should explain some of the "3/4 floating" references.
It is such a thing. But as far as Im concerned, if the vehicles primary purpose is to haul weight, especially off road, it needs a full-floater.

attachment.php

rruff

Explorer

Curious, what were your suspension and tire mods for the Tundra, and how did the F250 get more ground clearance? Stock it has less than the Tundra. 8.2" vs 10.6" according to specs.

On the F250 the cab and bed are so damn high... and you don't get more ground clearance because of it.

2019 Ford F-150 vs 2019 F-250 What are the differences .png

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Not sure if its included in the clearance specs, but the OEM front air damn hangs LOW on the 2011+ superduties.
Most noticeable on the 3/4 ton base models (lower spring rate coils)

They are pretty silly, and as I recall almost 8" tall
Pretty much everyone tear them off, by accident or not ;)

71hBLT1rnvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

rruff

Explorer
Not sure if its included in the clearance specs.

I think the air dams must be exempt, because they hang down really low on some trucks. The rear diff and shock mounts are low on the F250, but I don't if that is the low point. The shock mounts bug me... ordinarily you can "place" big rocks between the center and wheel, but on the F250 those shock mounts are hanging down right there! Montypower showed how to shorten them, though.

tacollie

Glamper

Curious, what were your suspension and tire mods for the Tundra, and how did the F250 get more ground clearance? Stock it has less than the Tundra. 8.2" vs 10.6" according to specs.

On the F250 the cab and bed are so damn high... and you don't get more ground clearance because of it.

View attachment 637128
I'm not sure what trims those numbers are based on but I do need to clarify. My F250 came with 275/70r18(33s). I think the xls came with 245s(31s)? My Tundra is on 285/70r17 which are 32. Marginal edge for the Superduty at the axles. The break over is where it's substantially different. The Tundra is low at just under 12". The F250 gas tank and a cross member under the tranny is 14". The rest is closer to 18". The factory F250 running boards are higher up than the rock sliders on my Tundra.

The F250 wheelbase is 3" longer. It is tall but the width is the same. The width is the issue in the woods(luckily I bought a white truck). Pretty much all trucks are big these days.The shock mounts do suck. They are flush with the bottom of the diff and I may do what @montypower did down the road.

Another thing to consider are the frame rails. The 17+ Superdutys have straight frame rails behind the cab. It makes a flatbed super simple.

The OP sounds like there are comfortable staying light. That means most trucks on the market will work for them. For people who want slide in campers I think 3/4 is better even if the camper is light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior