Overland TJ's (Ideas, Pic's, etc for 97-06 Jeep TJ's)

goldenbeagle

Adventurer
Jerry... You had some great info flowing there. I would love to see more of your current setup inside the TJ and also some more pics and details on the trailer you got there.

Please continue to post what you got rolling as you build the interior storage space and small storage mods....

goldenbeagle

Adventurer
Nigel ...that's a nice TJ you got there. Thanks for the info on the internal rack system. I have seen those before. but never seen one packed up. If possible, when you get some time, please post some more pics of that Olympic storage system (rack).

goldenbeagle

Adventurer
In regards to TJ rear Storage, here are a few pics (not of mine) that I think show some cool ideas.

DSC_0076.jpg

22451740088_large.jpg

Mexican_Hippie

Plenty of room for a family of 4. This is an old pic, but it's my roof rack with those plastic footlockers you can get at Academy. We fit a week's worth of food, water and camping equipment up top. Inside we had sleeping bags and other goodies.

You just need to go slower since you're a little top heavy.

68901901_208016341179252863.jpg

Edit: You can fit 3 footlockers across the front of those Bushman Racks that they sell with the Kongo Cage..

Last edited:

dakdoc

Observer
.....of TJs, roofracks, and trailers

I too struggled with storage, so I bought a cargo master rack because removing the soft top is integral to the jeep experience, and this variety of rack seemed to make that more feasable. I outfitted it with 4 big hela spots. It seemed like a great idea at the time, however I found over the next year that when I really needed the lights, they would reflect off the dust, rain, snow, and hood, making it extremely difficult to see when I needed the light the most. But it looked good parked at the mall! OK, scrap the headlamps and put them back on the front bumper, above the winch and external air chuck where they should go in the first place. Now, load the rack with gear, about 200 pounds of it: highlift, fuel, cargo tuff-boxes......now the dang thing oscillates back and forth, at highway speed. I tighten all the bolts, dissasemble and re-silicone all the joints, rebolt, and same thing.....it oscilates at highway speeds. Also, tipping the rack back to take down the soft top was more of a pain than I initially imagined. Carrying gear that high on a lifted TJ's suspension had me constantly praying to get to the trail without dying, more so when friends or family were with me. Then, on the trail, it would catch every single branch and get tangled up, bend the light mounts, tear the cordura bags, etc. But I got stopped all the time with questions about the rack because it looked SO GOOD! So....off goes the roof rack but I refuse to get rid of my TJ, because removing the top is integral to the experience, right? I save up, buy a trailer, a very well built but very heavy trailer. It's great, I can fit all my stuff plus some, and I can leave it at the trail head, chain it to a tree, and so far no one's stolen it yet. I've got Thule mounts on top and can carry bikes, a canoe, or two fly fishing pontoons. But it's heavy, sucks fuel like the shuttle, and gets passed by geo-metros when going up hill. I'd like a similar dimensioned trailer but without the heavy fabricated storage compartment, lid, and over-engineered frame. Make it a flat bed trailer, bolt on a large, industrial, metal, job-site type lockable tuff-style box to the front, and have wood plank style sides that slide into stake pockets to the sides and rear of the remainder, which allow for carrying things which can get dirty: propane tanks, my 20 gallon water tank, fuel tanks, etc. Also, that way everything in the trailer doesn't smell like gas or camping fuel after 100 miles. That would save a lot of weight, which would allow me to carry more fuel, which would extend the TJ's self-sustainable distance to more than 200 miles without stopping at a gas station. But, I'm bitter because currently I'm stuck in Afghanistan on a FOB in the middle of nowhere, and I'd die for the freedom to drive my vehicle on any road I please without worrying about IEDs. So, in the meantime, I'm reduced to a love-hate relationship with my TJ untill I can justify to my wife that I need a few camels or a hemi powered JK.

Attachments

• 088.JPG
    088.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 305
  • IMG_4684_400x304.shkl.jpg
    IMG_4684_400x304.shkl.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 322
  • indy 2.jpg
    indy 2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 367

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Awesome post Dakdoc. Well told and summarized, and one that most Jeep owners can emphasize with. Nice looking rig, and thank you for your service. Come home safe so that you can take your chances on the trail :)

Mr. D

Adventurer
Dakdoc, you are correct your Jeep looked sweet with a rack on top. I noticed a hardtop and soft top do you own both. Your Jeep and trailer setup looks great.
Most important thanks for your service for our freedom and please stay safe.

dakdoc

Observer
of TJ's, roof racks, and trailers

The trailer has a 12v deep cycle battery and 2hr charger, in case I'm in desperate need of a quick charge before heading out, or a gas station road-side charge. There's also a 15W solar panel on top which I think helps keep the battery charged, but I may need more panels. Nevertheless, it will provide power for my 12v colman fridge for 4 days of continuous running, which keeps the meat/beer/cheese 20 degrees less than ambient....so in other words about 85 degrees in the southwest US. Don't buy a colman unless you're on your way to a picnic. Get an Engel, ARB, or at least a Yetti brand cooler and 2 blocks of ice, never bagged ice, ever! There's a 20 gallon water tank/agricultural type sprayer tank with pressure shut off type pump. I don't drink the water from it, but use it for bathing, teeth hygiene, and dishes. The origional wand sprayer was impractical, so I stepped up the tubing size to garden hoze size and attached a garden style nozzle, which worked real great in the driveway. On the way to our first "running water" rugged campsite and through the lens of hindsite, I realize that the pressure, through the principal of hydrolics, was increased in terms of pounds per square inch, and blew off the hose clamps, and pumped water at the advertised 3 ga/min into the trailer where it was promptly soaked up by the sleeping bags, toilet paper, napkins, charcoal, matches, and spare clothes. Now, we just turn it on via a switch on the trailer lid when we want fresh water. The jeep has a 750w inverter that will run a blender, small electric chain saw, or charge a computer. I don't dare use my computer when the jeeps running because the inverter isn't a sine wave. But so far, I haven't had any problems charging digital cameras or my off-powered laptop. The trailer's tongue carries fire wood and a 20lb (?) propane tank, all held on by aluminum slide and lock type rails and a few ratchet straps. All the gear goes into rolling tuff boxes inside the trailer, and they make convenient camp benches when removed. I have a 16"x3.5'x1" linseed oil soaked pine plank that I c-clamp to the fender to use as a cutting board, food preparation platform. On one end of it is a rectangular hole which perfectly fits a rubbermaid container (otherwise used for silver ware, salt shakers, matches, etc) that functions as a drop in sink. Previously, I've used coleman camp fuel and the old standbye lantern and stove that my dad used as a kid 50 years ago. He never killed himself and I never killed myself, and hey, small burns are part of camping, right? But my mother in law, last summer, tried to wake up early to make coffee one morning, and in pumping the tank with pressure dislodged the distal end, thus spraying gas everywhere and almost burning the campsite down. I awoke to her screaming something in her native Polish and had to put out the fire before everything was consumed. She wouldn't talk to me all day, which begs the question of why I got rid of that most awesome stove! We've since switched to propane, to prevent marital discord...grill, lantern, and soon to be hot water system. There's a Thule rack on top with two to three cross members. Someday, possibly a roof top tent will reside there, but in the meantime, it carries mountain bikes or the boats. The trailer, loaded, is heavey. Not too heavy, but heavy enough that I get passed by geo metros going up steep highway grades. It pulls like a dream with its swivel pintel hitch when off road and because it is exactly the same width as the jeep, and with exactly the same wheels and tires, it tracks perfectly and can use the Jeep's spare tire. The brakes stop it adequately, but it would be better if I'd have added electric trailer brakes (hopefully comming next summer). I wish it didn't weigh as much, and I've been toying with a different style of trailer with exactly the same dimensions as mine and with either the same axle or a torsion style (more ground clearance). I'm not a believer in the Adventure Built's independent suspension because hey, if you drive over a rock with one tire of the trailer, the trailer just rotates around the pintle, so why would you invest so much time and money in linkages and airbags which have the capicity to fail. And when things have the capacity to fail....they fail. Thanks for this great website and the outlet it provides in the evenings. Of note, there are no jeeps here but plenty of toyota hilux trucks, landcruisers, and surfs (four runners). And I've never, ever, ever seen a mile marker on a military platform, despite constantly looking for them, despite the one on my rubicon. Please forgive any sarcasm which has poured forth in these postings and keep the Marines of Helmand Province in your thoughts and prayers!

Attachments

• camp trailer.jpg
    camp trailer.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 251
  • inside trailer.jpg
    inside trailer.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 236
  • river jeep.jpg
    river jeep.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 270
  • small afghanistan.jpg
    small afghanistan.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 255
  • jeepa.jpg
    jeepa.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 218
  • jeepc.jpg
    jeepc.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 239
  • jeepb.jpg
    jeepb.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

dakdoc

Observer
Yup, hard and soft top. I grew up in ND, took the jeep to Western Washington, am stationed in Louisiana but currently deployed, and am moving to El Paso when I get home. Man, do I miss beer.

alexfm

Explorer
Yup, hard and soft top. I grew up in ND, took the jeep to Western Washington, am stationed in Louisiana but currently deployed, and am moving to El Paso when I get home. Man, do I miss beer.

Slightly off topic here, but Im doing it anyways. There are a handful of us ExPo folk here in El Paso, be glad to meet you when you get here. Stay safe out there so you can come enjoy the spoils (and dust) of living in the desert. :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz