Overland through Niger, Chad, Central African Republic

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
I saw a few Toyota Hilux on your pictures. I previously had a 1988 Troopcarrier HJ75 in Africa for 5 years, but last night as I was researching my next vehicle I saw that Toyota Hilux diesel are relatively affordable in the U.K. I am wondering if that could be our next option. Perhaps less rugged than the Troopy but slightly better comfort/fuel economy, and I could bring a small camper in the back.

Xenobian

A couple more questions that I am sure other people are also curious of:

-Did you travel by yourself or with a partner/friend? One vehicle?

-I think you said your vehicle is a Toyota HZJ78? What year/model? any picture of it? Did you have any issue?

-How long was the trip total?

-How was it during Covid? Any additional issue? I read this interesting article this morning about Malawi:

My partner and I travelled with one vehicle, HZJ78, and I'll be posting some more pics soon, and perhaps a new thread for South Sudan overland expedition also last year. We had no issues except for the oil problem in the Central African Republic mentioned earlier in the thread. I am a firm believer in the preventative maintenance for things which would be a major problem to deal with in Africa (surprisingly few things in these Toyotas). Love the vehicle well, rather than just coexist with it, and there will be far fewer problems when you need the least...

Totally it was a 4 month trip with about a week of waiting in Dakar and slightly longer in Douala (dealing with shipping), so about 4.5 months total + flights in and out.

We faced no significant covid related complications outside of the US and Europe travelling to/from Africa. I understand some borders in some places are a problem, but not for our route. We prefer smaller more obscure border crossings (sometimes these are "officially" designated as local traffic only) although in practice anything goes. We didn't have any problems. From Niger to Chad there wasn't a proper border post at all, we reported to local police in the nearest towns to show our passport and visa and get permits etc.

It's an interesting article about Malawi.... Africa is always more pragmatic, in may ways, than, say, Europe or the US etc. Whilst it may seem more chaotic on the surface, the pragmatism beneath means you can often achieve more. At least in my view.

Xenobian

I saw a few Toyota Hilux on your pictures. I previously had a 1988 Troopcarrier HJ75 in Africa for 5 years, but last night as I was researching my next vehicle I saw that Toyota Hilux diesel are relatively affordable in the U.K. I am wondering if that could be our next option. Perhaps less rugged than the Troopy but slightly better comfort/fuel economy, and I could bring a small camper in the back.
Plenty of Hilux trucks in Chad, its a very practical and well suited vehicle for the terrain there, and easy enough to repair. It may feel or seem a bit less rugged than a Troopy but those who live there are, of course, smart and practical, they know what works. I would be absolutely comfortable with such a vehicle in West Africa and certainly in Chad and the C.A.R. If I were focusing more on Southern or East Africa, I may prefer a Landrover of some sort, but a Hilux is fine too. LR or Toyota, you are fine in Africa. A small camper is a nice concept for a Hilux and I've seen a couple around in Southern Africa, although is not a combo I have had myself. I would just be careful to ensure it does not become too heavy and overladen at the back, I saw a few with huge water capacity too far to the rear which I didn't like too much. For the distances needed at least to explore northern Chad with a large degree of autonomy, I would be very careful about adding a camper unit. But as this is really pushing range to the extreme, which really isn't necessary anywhere else in Africa, it is probably a good compromise between practicality and comfort.

I'm looking at some alternative ideas now with the lifting roof tent, just as in your profile pic :)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Plenty of Hilux trucks in Chad, its a very practical and well suited vehicle for the terrain there, and easy enough to repair. It may feel or seem a bit less rugged than a Troopy but those who live there are, of course, smart and practical, they know what works. I would be absolutely comfortable with such a vehicle in West Africa and certainly in Chad and the C.A.R. If I were focusing more on Southern or East Africa, I may prefer a Landrover of some sort, but a Hilux is fine too. LR or Toyota, you are fine in Africa. A small camper is a nice concept for a Hilux and I've seen a couple around in Southern Africa, although is not a combo I have had myself. I would just be careful to ensure it does not become too heavy and overladen at the back, I saw a few with huge water capacity too far to the rear which I didn't like too much. For the distances needed at least to explore northern Chad with a large degree of autonomy, I would be very careful about adding a camper unit. But as this is really pushing range to the extreme, which really isn't necessary anywhere else in Africa, it is probably a good compromise between practicality and comfort.

I'm looking at some alternative ideas now with the lifting roof tent, just as in your profile pic :)

Thanks - after years of service in Australia and Africa, and after eventually driving it up to Norway, ours ended up in Greg's collection:

It was perfect for Africa...until it wasn't. Way too slow for Europe or the mountains in Rwanda, and it was really starting to show its age.

I am thinking of a light cabover camper for the Hilux, like the Alu-Cab ones.

1643409829082.png

Xenobian

Thanks - after years of service in Australia and Africa, and after eventually driving it up to Norway, ours ended up in Greg's collection:

It was perfect for Africa...until it wasn't. Way too slow for Europe or the mountains in Rwanda, and it was really starting to show its age.

I am thinking of a light cabover camper for the Hilux, like the Alu-Cab ones.

View attachment 704387
I've never had anything from Alu Cab but plenty of South Africans I have met have only spoke very highly of their products (the camper modules included). It would be a good set up for almost all places you would go in Africa....

PDX_Jay

Thank you so much for posting this and giving us some glimpse of hope that we can go visit one day. My wife did a bit of work in the CAR and I have been interested since then.

Where did you start the trip? Did you drive/ship your Land Cruiser from the UK? Or rented it in Cameroon?

I still work in the CAR about 3 months every year (with the NGO www.waterforgood.org, been with them since 2013, and also grew up there from 1987-1997). If anyone is looking for places to stop, camp, get water, etc in the western part of the country, I've got lots of contacts.

Xenobian

I still work in the CAR about 3 months every year (with the NGO www.waterforgood.org, been with them since 2013, and also grew up there from 1987-1997). If anyone is looking for places to stop, camp, get water, etc in the western part of the country, I've got lots of contacts.
This would have been really helpful! As I am planning another trip there (already!), this is especially interesting.

AArmadillo

What a great Adventure and thank you for sharing. Living in Los Angeles with little chance of us ever visiting this part of the world this was a wonderful post to experience.

Xenobian

I know I'm too old to see any of these places but many thanks for posting the story and photos.

Thank you for the kind words, I am glad you enjoyed the story and photos.

What a great Adventure and thank you for sharing. Living in Los Angeles with little chance of us ever visiting this part of the world this was a wonderful post to experience.

I hope you get to see the parts of the world that interest you the most. Africa, for me, is that part of the world - still with so many "unknown" corners....

I just stumbled on this excellent thread. Thank you Xenobian for posting about your unique trip. I've had my eye on Chad for a while. Some questions...
- For Tibesti and Ennedi (I know that was a separate trip) did you require a guide? My inquiries initially lead me to belive a guide was required by law. Later I found that maybe that was not the case. Since there isn't a lot of info published for these areas I'm not opposed to a guide, but I'd rather not pay for a whole tour and a second vehicle. Instead picking up a guide at key points seems more practical and cheaper. If you have any thoughts/experience on this topic I would really appreciate it.
- Was a carnet required for Chad? A recent report I read said no, but just checking.
- Was there any other paperwork, other than visas, that required to be arranged ahead of time?

netllama

Observer
I just stumbled on this excellent thread. Thank you Xenobian for posting about your unique trip. I've had my eye on Chad for a while. Some questions...
- For Tibesti and Ennedi (I know that was a separate trip) did you require a guide? My inquiries initially lead me to belive a guide was required by law. Later I found that maybe that was not the case. Since there isn't a lot of info published for these areas I'm not opposed to a guide, but I'd rather not pay for a whole tour and a second vehicle. Instead picking up a guide at key points seems more practical and cheaper. If you have any thoughts/experience on this topic I would really appreciate it.
- Was a carnet required for Chad? A recent report I read said no, but just checking.
- Was there any other paperwork, other than visas, that required to be arranged ahead of time?

I was in Chad last year. You need govt permits to travel outside the capital, and you will struggle to get them without fixer or tour agency inside Chad.

I was in Chad last year. You need govt permits to travel outside the capital, and you will struggle to get them without fixer or tour agency inside Chad.

Yes. I was hoping to pay a fixer/agency to arrange the permits, but then proceed on our own without the guide, or to only pick up a guide for specific parts, like the Ennedi, but not the drive to Zakouma and Abeche.

netllama

Observer
Yes. I was hoping to pay a fixer/agency to arrange the permits, but then proceed on our own without the guide, or to only pick up a guide for specific parts, like the Ennedi, but not the drive to Zakouma and Abeche.

Tchad Evasion is the agency that I used. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke