Overland through Niger, Chad, Central African Republic

Xenobian

The next stage of the Central African Republic expedition.... heading out of Bangui, through the palatial grounds of former dictator's residence, dramatic waterfalls, pygmy villages, beautiful drives and gorillas. To be continued.........

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
The Libyan desert is definitely a special place,
Thanks for this.
I worked in central Libya for a couple of months in 1991. Hated it at the time, but would love to return as a tourist.
Some stunning country.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Attachments

• 1991 The way to Bint Baya.jpg
    1991 The way to Bint Baya.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 19

Xenobian

I forgot to say, during the drive south from Ndele to Bangui, the strangest thing we came across was an elderly man in a hut near the side of the road with a solar charger for an old CD player, loudly playing a piece I recognized - Haydn's Cello Concerto No. 1 in C Major - We chatted for a while, he had studied music in Paris and had performed for the then Emperor Bokassa. Just the last thing you expect in the middle of absolutely nowhere in CAR... :ROFLMAO:

Xenobian

Thanks for this.
I worked in central Libya for a couple of months in 1991. Hated it at the time, but would love to return as a tourist.
Some stunning country.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
My pleasure, I'm glad you've enjoyed the photos so far. I will upload the continuation in short course....

I also came to the realization that some of the places I worked in were special, but always after leaving after loathing the time there....! I would love to get back to Libya and go deeper into the desert, Libyan side of Jebel Uweinat, Kufra etc. I suspect it will be a long while before that's feasible....

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Nobody visits the CAR: https://pbase.com/diplostrat/car

These are all safe for the workplace photos. A few more tomorrow.

If you ever wondered why the Bruggers film ends suddenly, let us just say that he realized that his health required that he leave the country while he could. (Still wild to see how someone who thought he was conning everyone was being conned himself. At least, as one of the people in the film says, he did not end up in a ditch. I think he was closer than he knew.)

Xenobian

Nobody visits the CAR: https://pbase.com/diplostrat/car

These are all safe for the workplace photos. A few more tomorrow.

If you ever wondered why the Bruggers film ends suddenly, let us just say that he realized that his health required that he leave the country while he could. (Still wild to see how someone who thought he was conning everyone was being conned himself. At least, as one of the people in the film says, he did not end up in a ditch. I think he was closer than he knew.)
Really nice pictures from C.A.R.! Having embassy backing is always a nice extra benefit... :) It is not a country for the faint-hearted. Some day I would like to cross along the road east, Bangassou, Bakouma, Zemio, Obo and into South Sudan. I think I'll be waiting a while for that one, though.....

I have no doubt that you're spot on about Brugger, it's what I assumed. He had his run of it, then time to get out. Very watchable, and bizarre film.

netllama

Observer
Nice, thanks for sharing. I was supposed to spend time in Chad last November, but pandemic requirements made it impossible.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Very nice. I spent time when I was a kid in Zambia and south. Wish Africa didn't have all the fighting because it is an awesome place to travel, the sights and the people are the best in the world.

netllama

Observer
Very nice. I spent time when I was a kid in Zambia and south. Wish Africa didn't have all the fighting because it is an awesome place to travel, the sights and the people are the best in the world.

What fighting are you refering to? Generalizing an entire continent is prolly not a great idea.

Xenobian

Nice, thanks for sharing. I was supposed to spend time in Chad last November, but pandemic requirements made it impossible.
I hope you make it there eventually, it's a very special place. For a first time visit I would recommend perhaps the Ennedi ahead of the Tibesti, it is arguably more scenic (and mostly skipped on this trip). Of course, if time is no issue, then both is excellent.

Xenobian

Thank you. Zambia is a very pleasant country, where I have visited family several times over the years. Fortunately it is on the list of more stable and friendlier countries in Africa.

Xenobian

What fighting are you refering to? Generalizing an entire continent is prolly not a great idea.
Perhaps not, but unfortunately in over fifty expeditions to Africa, I have found it is incredibly rare to come across no trace or sign of fighting, conflict or chaos. Southern Africa is of course easier and largely free of issues for the traveler (think Namibia, Botswana, most of RSA), a bit of the east (Tanzania) and in the north, (Tunisia, Mauritania - but not without some issues here either). It is a generalization, but one based on reality. Of course, for the traveler not wanting to go directly into a conflict zone, there are still much greater risks of violence than most other places in the world. The Sahara has had dozens of kidnappings of westerners since the mass kidnapping in Algeria in 2003, the risk of banditry in much of Africa is very real. You can, of course, be carjacked in New York City, too. The obvious conclusion to this is that if you worry too much about the very present problems in Africa, you'll end up just staying at home - a fate I'm sure few on this forum desire.

Xenobian

It is impossible to travel through (or think about) the Central African Republic without considering the self styled Emperor Jean-Bédel Bokassa, a tyrant or a larger than life ruler, feel free to study the politics and the history and have your own views on him. Most older people I've spoken to now and before in the CAR have positive views of Bokassa. Undoubtedly the best overview of Bokassa is the 1990 Werner Herzog film, Echoes from a Sombre Empire. It seems to be on YouTube in multiple short parts.

Here is a very large (20ft?) statue of him, in the middle of the jungle at Beringo, his countryside retreat, about an hour out of Bangui.
BERENGO 1.jpg

Which has a contingent of Seleka rebels living within the compound now. They were friendly and quite courteous, going as far as to offer us protection, without saying from what ;)
BERENGO 4 SELEKA.jpg

The entrance to the now derelict compound, the countryside "Palace" of the very large Imperial family.
BERENGO 2.jpg

The summer villa of Empress Catherine, wife of Emperor Bokassa.
BERENGO 9.jpg

The resort facilities have seen better days....
BERENGO 11.jpg

Pro Bokassa graffiti
BERENGO 10.jpg
BERENGO 8.jpg

The trail out of Beringo, and time for a quick trip down to Zinga near the border with the Republic of Congo, and then back up to the bright lights of Bangui.
BERENGO 3 ROAD TO.jpg

Xenobian

Getting back to Bangui, a safe haven and paradise refuge for the overlander who made it this far is the Ledger Plaza Hotel. For sure not the 5* as advertised and claimed, but is most definitely 7* for Central Africa. Very nice pool area, gym, restaurant and bar. The rooms are perfectly formed. It is still central Africa so occasionally the water stops, or goes brown, and the power cuts once or twice a day, with generator back up though. In short, the place to be in Bangui. And, of course, secure parking for the car.

HOTEL 1.jpg

HOTEL 2.jpg

HOTEL 3.jpg

HOTEL 4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior