Overland The Third. ARB WJ inside!

madZJ

Observer
I'm running the same size tires and just recently changed the gears to 4.10s really happy with them so far. If I upgrade to 33s I'm going to also upgrade to JK width Dana 44s and put 4.56s in those.

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
How's freeway cruising/mpg with the 4.10's? I have 33s on my ZJ and I have to turn overdrive off just get up a grade now with my 5.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lecoq

Explorer
I'm running the same size tires and just recently changed the gears to 4.10s really happy with them so far. If I upgrade to 33s I'm going to also upgrade to JK width Dana 44s and put 4.56s in those.

I'm really looking into the 4.10 gears right now.

How's freeway cruising/mpg with the 4.10's? I have 33s on my ZJ and I have to turn overdrive off just get up a grade now with my 5.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get about 320 miles on a full tank of about 18 gallons on the highway cruising at about 65-70 MPH. In town it's closer to 270.

How many miles/KM do you have on your WJ? Great build. thanks

I've driven it a lot since I've owned it. I think I'm sitting at 345,000kms right now.

Boroffski

New BFGoodrich KO2 are on. First impression on the drive home was that I can definitely feel the weight difference when braking and accelerating. The main reason for getting them was to get rid of the excessive noise. They are very quiet even at highway speed. I'm very pleased with them so far. If they're anything like my previous sets of TA/KO I'm sure I'll be very happy .

The only thing I am disappointed with is the lack of rim protection the older All Terrains had. Not sure BFG went without them on the new design...

Excellent build! I have visions of my wj in this state one day.

I work maintenance for BF Goodrich and I questioned the ko2 not having the rim protector the first time I laid eyes on a prototype several years ago. I never got a solid answer, but I know that tooling would have transferred between the two designs and would have been less work for us people keeping the machines running.:confused: Nonetheless, the ko2 look great on your rig and I hope you enjoy them.

Lecoq

Explorer
Got a new daily!

Just kidding...it's a friend of a friend's car. Pretty awesome machine.

Went on a trip to visit the family last week. Took some time to hike up Mt Sutton with my brother.

Also spotted this beauty. Original AmphiCar

Flew back home to work for a few days and got a chance to get out this weekend for some camping and exploring.

Drove up Limestones mountain

Setup camp on the side of a small river.

Lecoq

Explorer
Also ordered Clayton Off-road long arms. I'm hoping to get this installed in the next little while. Opted for the skid plate as well since it makes the install much easier and it will protect the belly of the beast.

c_ema

Observer
Great work, congratulations!!!

One question, why choosing long arms for overland Jeep? Changing bushing with JJ and increase articulation with long arms not increase the instability and noises on the roads?

Last edited:

Lecoq

Explorer
c_ema

The reasoning behind the long arms is simple: comfort. With the Jeep sitting at about 4 inches of lift, the control arms are at a great angle, it makes the vehicle a little unstable at times. The longer arms will add flex and stability. From what I hear the JJ at the frame end do not reduce comfort. I guess I'll have to see for myself soon enough.

c_ema

Observer
Thanks for your report...I ask it because I have e WJ with 4.5 Clayton coils but with adjustable short arms JKS and I don't know if the long arms will be an upgrade for me.....for now I'm very happy with this setup

mccustomize

Explorer
I would stick with a rubber joint at the frame side, my 3 link on my Silverado uses poly at the frame side on all links and Ballistic joint at the axle end. Friends similar build uses Ballistic joints at all ends and there is a noticeable difference in road noise and vibration transmitted which I'm sure would be even worse on a unibody vehicle.

I do however love my RC long arms on my WJ

Lecoq

Explorer
Can't wait for the long arms to be installed. For now I've been working away at 15 cubic yards of top soil...

I did manage to get the Clayton subframe and crossmember installed and welded on Wednesday.

That will do for now until the pile of dirt disappears from the front driveway!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles