Overland solar bugout to zamp controller help

Mpl1978

1D3F73E4-C5DB-40A9-8748-298A4A5B12D2.jpeg
how do I connect my overland solar 120 portable bugout to the zamp controller for my new to me off road trailer? The red Anderson is connected to the zamp controller. Thx

Mpl1978

no, that is how the former owner had it setup. He had portable renology panels that he was using apparently.

john61ct

Adventurer
SAE conversion adapter pigtail to SB50 are a standard item OTS try Powerwerx,

also very easy to make yourself from SAE only pigtail if you have the right crimper for the Anderson side.

Personally I'd chop off any SAE and replace with a smaller ampacity Anderson, PowerPoles make a great "Rosetta Stone" standard.

Same with those abortion ciggie port connectors, neither they nor SAE should be used for more than a few amps, can easily start fires. . .

Mpl1978

I am rather tone deaf! I do want to make it as safe as possible and it seems that you suggest removing the existing red connector that he has connected to the controller. I hate to be an ass, but could you send me a link to what connector I should replace the red one with so I can connect the overland solar bugout. I really appreciate it

Mpl1978

I think what you mean is chop off the red connector, replace with Anderson power pole and then I can use this to connector the power pole to the portable solar panel?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,011.9 KB · Views: 15

john61ct

Adventurer
You don't have to swap the SB50 out, it's fine just probably overkill in ampacity and harder to find OTS adapter pigtails for.

PowerPole is the standard for 40A or lower, and IMO a good one.

It's the SAE I would eliminate, unless you only have a few amps flowing.

And IMO even then just not a great connector if it's being duty-cycled regularly.

Thus best case go PP to PP, no pigtail needed, just two pair APP kits and the right crimper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles