Overland Recovery Gear We Use & How We Pack It in The Garage Area In Our GXV Turtle

waveslider

Outdoorsman
In terms of weight saving you might consider just converting all shackles to soft shackles. Those hard shackles are heavy.

Also I'm a fan of having a kinetic rope having seen them in action on heavy machinery around here......

GB_Willys_2014

Nice video. Thank you for sharing. I enjoy your work.

My thoughts, fwiw:

In your place I would make the space sacrifice for a full size shovel, a full size saw, hatchet, and maxtrax.

Also, what about your jacks?

D

Deleted member 9101

X2 on the full size shovel and saw. As little fun as can be had digging out a truck... it's even less fun with pint sized tools.

dfs9

In terms of weight saving you might consider just converting all shackles to soft shackles. Those hard shackles are heavy.

Also I'm a fan of having a kinetic rope having seen them in action on heavy machinery around here......
I went back and forth on the shackles and decided on the metal. I know some people who have replaced the soft shackles because of deterioration of the material and did not trust the shackles to the rated load.

dfs9

Nice video. Thank you for sharing. I enjoy your work.

My thoughts, fwiw:

In your place I would make the space sacrifice for a full size shovel, a full size saw, hatchet, and maxtrax.

Also, what about your jacks?
Full size on the shovel, saw and hatchet is a good idea. As far as the jack I haven’t found one yet that will work with our Turtle. I gave the maxtraxs a lot of thought but ended up getting the gothreads. Maybe they won’t work as well but I am willing to give them a try.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
For your jack, I’ve now tried out the SafeJack (albeit in a safe and comfy controlled environment) and I was pretty impressed with how it worked.

I bought the kit with the several extensions and it seems to fit the bill.

dfs9

For your jack, I’ve now tried out the SafeJack (albeit in a safe and comfy controlled environment) and I was pretty impressed with how it worked.

I bought the kit with the several extensions and it seems to fit the bill.
Thanks I’ll look into it

s.e.charles

I went back and forth on the shackles and decided on the metal. I know some people who have replaced the soft shackles because of deterioration of the material and did not trust the shackles to the rated load.

something i'm interested getting more input. I've read soft shackles should not be used under all conditions / for certain extractions.

dfs9

As I am thinking about getting our turtle ready for our trip the question that keeps going around in my mind is how much equipment do I need to pack for “what if” situations. My wife and 2 boys lived in Western Wyoming for 30 years, traveling the back roads in our 79 Jeep wagoner before there was all this fancy overlanding gear and never found us in a situation where we need any of the limited gear we even carried. Sure I was conservative in where we traveled and what weather conditions were. In all my travels with overland, sailing, backpacking and bicycling the best equipment I have found that I used everyday was my brain. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

trailsurfer

Explorer
Having a similar background as you, as well as a large expedition vehicle. I always carry a good shovel, actual maxtrax type traction boards, and a tow rope in addition to the equipment that you are currently carrying. I have used my winch, as well as the items listed above on more than one occasion. Getting stuck in mud, snow, soft dirt, and/or sand are the most likely scenarios for you or someone you may end up helping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles