Overland on a Budget for the rest of us

Bojak

Adventurer
I really like this thread. Screw a bunch of titles. Wheel what you got, spend what you can stand, make some memories! It's not a freakin club, it's just bein' free, bein' outside, gettin' dirty, and havin fun. I like you rig!! You big camper, you!!!
🔝🔝🔝 THIS!🔝🔝🔝 Hit the nail on the head. Memories is all any of its about. My boys asleep in the back seat on the way home all worn out but really happy, there faces when dad goes for it ( cuz in kid world dad never goes for it ), when they help dad work on it to "get it ready" for the adventures. All about the memories. In the end, it is all you have in rhe end anyways.

Also I was a yeti hater too, then I got one. I wish lots of things were over built on yeti's level. Stay classy.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1444007994056.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1444007994056.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 70
  • uploadfromtaptalk1444008229532.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1444008229532.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 68
  • uploadfromtaptalk1444008296313.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1444008296313.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 66
  • uploadfromtaptalk1444008353859.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1444008353859.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 67
  • uploadfromtaptalk1444008984180.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1444008984180.jpg
    614.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Phil513

������ THIS!������ Hit the nail on the head. Memories is all any of its about. My boys asleep in the back seat on the way home all worn out but really happy, there faces when dad goes for it ( cuz in kid world dad never goes for it ), when they help dad work on it to "get it ready" for the adventures. All about the memories. In the end, it is all you have in rhe end anyways.

Also I was a yeti hater too, then I got one. I wish lots of things were over built on yeti's level. Stay classy.

I love your truck! Awesome.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
For the price of a yeti. Why not get a 12v fridge.

Those were my initial thoughts as well. I was actually in the parking of the store that I bought it having those thoughts. But I use it as a cooler: out on the back deck in the summer, doing multiday "overlanding" trips in my Explorer, "camping" with the family out of the Expedition, soccer games at the park, day trips in the Escape, road trips. A fridge can't quite check all those boxes.

My Explorer can't haul the family into the woods for several WITH the 2 family dogs. This is where being able to easily swap between vehicles is nice. A fridge could be switched between vehicles but the Yeti gets strapped to the hitch basket instead of taking up dog space in the back.

YMMV.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
My 12v fidge also has a 120v plug to be used around the house.
Ice chest are usually half full with ice. With a fridge you could probably get away with one half the size of your current cooler. I made the switch and never going back to a cooler plus I can get free ice before all my trips but that still wasn't worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaskaguide

I really like this thread. Screw a bunch of titles. Wheel what you got, spend what you can stand, make some memories! It's not a freakin club, it's just bein' free, bein' outside, gettin' dirty, and havin fun. I like you rig!! You big camper, you!!!

Thank you for getting it! I got out today and got dirty, 82 miles of muddy Forrest Service from my house I found a lake to have all to my self and buddy. We found a bunch of Cutty's:lunker.jpg

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
+1 like. It's so easy to get caught up in the build and gear and acquisitions, that one forgets to actually get out an enjoy what you have.

Lucky j

Explorer
I do not think that a grizzly will care so much about your beer, maybe care for the beacon, but now that I know that you carry your yeti in a hitch basket, if I see one like that, I will see if it is Luc proof! I do care about beacon and beer! :xxrotflma

Those were my initial thoughts as well. I was actually in the parking of the store that I bought it having those thoughts. But I use it as a cooler: out on the back deck in the summer, doing multiday "overlanding" trips in my Explorer, "camping" with the family out of the Expedition, soccer games at the park, day trips in the Escape, road trips. A fridge can't quite check all those boxes.

My Explorer can't haul the family into the woods for several WITH the 2 family dogs. This is where being able to easily swap between vehicles is nice. A fridge could be switched between vehicles but the Yeti gets strapped to the hitch basket instead of taking up dog space in the back.

YMMV.

mlmeans

Adventurer
That's way awesome roll with what you got and ride it tell wheels fall off. Man I've got what I would call a nicer rig now but back in the day I rolled some half beaten stuff... One was a two wheel drive long bed bench seat single cab small Isuzu diesel pick up that smoked more than a 1989 diesel tractor trailer... And we loved it

UOTE=Alaskaguide;1938365]Thank you for getting it! I got out today and got dirty, 82 miles of muddy Forrest Service from my house I found a lake to have all to my self and buddy. We found a bunch of Cutty's:View attachment 308020[/QUOTE]

Alaskaguide

I do not think that a grizzly will care so much about your beer, maybe care for the beacon, but now that I know that you carry your yeti in a hitch basket, if I see one like that, I will see if it is Luc proof! I do care about beacon and beer! :xxrotflma

Is that beacon like Canadian Bacon? Yeti's are the highest theft item in Florida, another reason not to go there!

Cooose

Im leaving on my non-"overland expedition" in 12 days to the outer banks in my bone stock 03 expedition with a front cooler mount rack and roof rack I cobbled together out of superstrut and emt from HD. There will be 6 guys and 2 kids, all of our gear and multiple non-yetis. We will board a ferry and will not see a stitch of pavement while on the island.

Do I wish I had all sorts of speciality gear, absolutely....is that going to prevent me from getting out there and creating some amazing memories, absolutely not. :smiley_drive:

Last edited:

Alaskaguide

For the price of a yeti. Why not get a 12v fridge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A fridge is twice the price of a Yeti, even weighs more, and I would never take a fridge on a Cataraft down the river. Also not Bear proof. I could think of more but it's Monday evening and only had 1 beer so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles