Overland on a Budget for the rest of us

Alaskaguide

I have a problem, I know... Let me start there, I currently own three vehicles and a Yamaha DT175. None are new, but all serve their purpose. My newest to me is a 1997 Chevy Tahoe I snagged up for $1300 plus $900 in Tires. I fold rear seat down, toss the Yetti 65, fly rod, sleeping bag and pad in and boom-Overland, I think we tend to over think what it takes to get away.

Attachments

• my-tahoe.jpg
    my-tahoe.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 120

Lucky j

Explorer
Be carefull, some of the upper overland class will tell you that you are not overlanding, but camping!

But do not worry, for what it's worth, I'm on your side! ;). :)

PJorgen

Desert Dweller
Visit the Fireside Chat forum and read the thread on why Overlanders are obnoxious. You'll prefer camping.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
In the end, don't get all caught up in the label. Get out. Have a great time. Share your experiences to inspire others.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Oh c'mon, that's not overlanding at all!

Everyone knows you need an overpriced exclusive D110/JDM LC80 diesel, with customized armor to the max, rooftop tent and $1000 worth of jerry cans on an overloaded roof rack, safari skinny tires, and more country stickers than a world map, for anyone to take you seriously...

All you're doing is simply take a reasonably priced vehicle, that's common and cheap to acquire parts anywhere in North America, and capable of exploring 95% of dirt roads to remote destinations, all the while with enough payload capacity to actually sustain a long journey (vs overladen vehicles that's at GVW before even loading). :D

Alaskaguide

But for an extra $300 over a Coleman cooler you can get your $6 worth of ice to last am extra 24 hours! lol

I don't think you guys get what a Yeti is, for what 2 ****ty Coleman coolers cost, you are into a Yeti. Can a Coleman get 21 days down the grand canyon and still have frozen stakes left for dinner? still have ice from last weekend including fishing 8 hours in the sun on the river? Oh and it is a certified bear safe container. I live and work in Bear-itory, and am cheap, but not going to let a Grizzly Bear get my Bacon and Beer.

MT6bt

Rock hound
I used to make fun of yeti coolers until using a Coleman "extreme" for an entire summer. having to load up on ice every 3 days was a major PIA. I got a yeti 65 for 20% off retail price. It has been a great investment, have beaten the heck out of it and still looks new.
Definitely one of those things that are worth the price

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Seabass

Idiot
I really like this thread. Screw a bunch of titles. Wheel what you got, spend what you can stand, make some memories! It's not a freakin club, it's just bein' free, bein' outside, gettin' dirty, and havin fun. I like you rig!! You big camper, you!!!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Oh c'mon, that's not overlanding at all!

Everyone knows you need an overpriced exclusive D110/JDM LC80 diesel, with customized armor to the max, rooftop tent and $1000 worth of jerry cans on an overloaded roof rack, safari skinny tires, and more country stickers than a world map, for anyone to take you seriously...

All you're doing is simply take a reasonably priced vehicle, that's common and cheap to acquire parts anywhere in North America, and capable of exploring 95% of dirt roads to remote destinations, all the while with enough payload capacity to actually sustain a long journey (vs overladen vehicles that's at GVW before even loading). :D

Remember from the other thread it has to have the right kind of frame under it!!!

PlethoraOfGuns

Adventurer
I wish I was a camper. Spending 10 years and my life savings to get an overland rig ready to leave the driveway didn't work out. You lucky camper you...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles