Overland Navigation - Overview and Tutorial

kfmeyers

Hey all,

I found a lot of helpful info here and around the web and thought I'd condense what I found and now use for my trip planning into a video. Most of what I found was specific to a particular app or piece of hardware, so this is more of an end to end overview. Surely it's not the best solution for everyone, but it works perfectly for me. Hopefully it helps someone!

EDIT: Source link for viewing outside browser - http://youtu.be/cGkFGfdp27g

Last edited:

EMrider

Explorer
That was excellent thanks.

Odd that there isn't a program available that can do it all.

I have been very pleased with Motion X GPS HD.

R

Chaz

Thanks for posting. Some good Google Earth tips in there. Curious to know why you prefer Base Camp and Motion X vs Gaia with Gaia cloud sync?

Frdmskr

Adventurer
I like this but can I get the source link? Is this on YouTube or Vimeo? Easier to watch on the appletv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kfmeyers

Curious to know why you prefer Base Camp and Motion X vs Gaia with Gaia cloud sync?

As my Dad used to say: this one is '6 of one and half a dozen of the other'.

I've had enough frustrations with cloud solutions (i have enough user accounts everywhere already...usernames/passwords/new devices need relinking/etc). that I just tend to prefer an old school hard drive with backup and good file organization. I've tried Gaia and really like it's sociability aspect, but still find the user interface less pleasing than Motion X.

trae

Adventurer
Great video, thanks for putting it together. Never realized how useful GEarth could be for trip planning.

Mumbaki1037

Observer
Forgive me for a simple question but do you need an iMac to transfer the files to a mini iPad? Thanks in advance

kfmeyers

Forgive me for a simple question but do you need an iMac to transfer the files to a mini iPad? Thanks in advance

You don't. In fact it's even easier to email them to yourself from your computer. Then setup email on your mini iPad and grab the attached files directly on the iPad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles