Overland Navigation - Overview and Tutorial

kfmeyers

@tdesanto, I haven't tried BirdsEye...trying to limit my subscription expenses. And I haven't really found the need for satellite at least in the places I've been going. Most roads here are pretty well mapped, especially on US Forest Service land.

kfmeyers

Private Property Markings

On my last trip out, I used GaiaGPS. It does have some really good features, but it just wasn't as user friendly from a user interface perspective. I still MUCH prefer the larger buttons provided by MotionX.

I learned the hard way that none of the options in the thread highlight private property. I ended up traveling through some as I didn't have enough fuel to go around. Had I seen it while planning, or at least with enough time to reroute on the trip, it would have been helpful. My brother is a hunter and mentioned Garmin's HuntView maps that label and name private property in the US. In addition, HUNT by onXmaps provides even better versions (in my opinion) along with an iPad app. The app also provides map downloads, satellite maps, topo maps, tracking, etc.

I may give this app a go next time...if not replacing MotionX, then at least to be able to reference to spot check for private property and determine which side of fences I should stay on!

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Thank you for the suggestion. I may look into that given that it would only be a small software purchase.

BTW, I'm working with a Windows 10 tablet and Maps Pro at the moment. It's looking very, very promising.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier