Overland LJ

piratenation90

Adventurer
I love that bumper!

I am very picky when it comes to what I put on my jeep. I want to have it look as clean as possible and for me that bumper works perfectly on it. I re-used the stock fog lights for now until I can figure out what lights I want to put on it.

piratenation90

Adventurer
New shoes

I had the same size Kumho MT's on my first wrangler and liked them enough to get them on my LJ. I really like how aggressive the tire is while not having a super loud hum on the road. However back in January I switched to the BFG KO2's and love them! I have had 2 sets of the KO's on past trucks of mine and really liked them. The new KO2's are even better. The ride is so much smoother and the road manners are a lot better than the Kumho's. I stayed with the same size that the Kumho's were 315 75 16. A few days after I had the BFG's put on I took a weekend trip up to Pisgah NF in North Carolina right after we got that good amount of snow. The tires performed great in the snow.

IMG_4248.jpg
IMG_4249.jpg
IMG_4250.jpg
IMG_4251.jpg
IMG_4262.jpg
IMG_4264.jpg
IMG_4268.jpg
IMG_4271.jpg

piratenation90

Adventurer
Just came across this deal on a set of flat fender flares on Extreme Terrain's website, its their brand (Barricade). It seems like to good of a deal to pass up since the price for a set of 4 is the same price as just the front 2 flares of the bushwacker flat flares. Thinking really hard about getting these. Had a set of xenon 4" flares on my TJ and like everything about them except the finish, basically they needed to be painted or coated with something prior to install.

http://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-flat-fenders-tj-j102429.html

http://www.extremeterrain.com/bushw...digital&_ga=1.156200635.1646503211.1461086417

Last edited:

Jurfie

Adventurer
Just came across this deal on a set of flat fender flares on Extreme Terrain's website, its their brand (Barricade).

Those look nice; I prefer them to the Bushwackers, and steel to boot. I'm partial to the MCEs on a TJ/LJ, but those Barricades would certainly make me think twice.

Edit: derp...not sure where I read they were steel. Maybe I read ABS and my brain connected "my abs of steel", so I thought steel. Wait...more like flabs of steel...

piratenation90

Adventurer
Rear Bumper

So back at the end of February I started to realize that I was going to need a different rear bumper/tire carrier for the kind of trips I want to do. I was running a stock rear bumper and a Gr8tops exogate, designed by Jeff Scherb. The exogate is great and I recommend to fellow jeepers all the time, but for my needs a bumper/tire carrier that I could have jerry cans mounted to it and some storage in addition to my trasharoo was called for. I had looked at the LOD rear bumpers before and really liked them, they make 2 different style rear bumpers for the TJ/LJ one that is a simple design and one that has a little more shape to it. LOD was having a winter sale when I decided to get a new bumper, the sale was free shipping and 10% off. I choose to order their TJ/LJ signatures series bumper with trail rack, jerry can mounts, and flush mount LED cube cutouts in the bumper for backup lights. They offer either a raw metal finish or a textured black finish, since my front ARB bumper has a smooth black finish I really wanted to have the rear matched so I called up LOD and asked them if they would do a custom finish for me and they said they could. Ordered the bumper at the beginning of March and it took about 6 weeks to get to me which I thought was pretty good considering they did a custom finish on the bumper.

IMG_4998.jpgIMG_5001.jpgIMG_5002.jpgIMG_5003.jpgIMG_5004.jpgIMG_5005.jpgIMG_5006.jpgIMG_5007.jpg

The bumper came in 3 separate boxes rear bumper, tire carrier and trail rack + jerry can mounts. They way they packaged them is awesome, I don't think brown santa could've messed them up if he tried. The install went pretty smoothly, the instructions tell you to install the bumper lights before installing the bumper and I am glad I did that because they were hard to install with the bumper just laying on the floor, couldn't imagine trying to install them with the bumper on the Jeep. I went with Lifetime LED's 20watt flush mount led cubes in 40 degree flood beam. Plan is to use them for lighting up the campsite at night so they will have their own switch.

piratenation90

Adventurer
old bumper and tire carrier

Returning tailgate back to stock. The Exogate is such a well made and designed product, unfortunately it doesn't fit my needs anymore.

IMG_5008.jpg IMG_5009.jpg IMG_5010.jpg IMG_5014.jpgIMG_5015.jpg IMG_5016.jpg IMG_5018.jpg

piratenation90

Adventurer
Are you going to sell the exogate? Shoot me a PM if you are.

A friend of mine already called dibs on it when I ordered the bumper a few months back. MorRyde is supposedly coming out with a new and improved version of the hinges (wide-swing) Jeff Scherb posted about them earlier on in this thread. The exogate worked amazing with my 315 tires though, if you are thinking about getting it contact MorRyde because they are the only ones selling wide swing hinges. Also you can put a rotopax attachment on the wide swing hinges which is nice.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A friend of mine already called dibs on it when I ordered the bumper a few months back. MorRyde is supposedly coming out with a new and improved version of the hinges (wide-swing) Jeff Scherb posted about them earlier on in this thread. The exogate worked amazing with my 315 tires though, if you are thinking about getting it contact MorRyde because they are the only ones selling wide swing hinges. Also you can put a rotopax attachment on the wide swing hinges which is nice.

You can get the new design Exogate (with the wide-swing hinges) now from MORyde (http://www.morryde.com/products/190...-accessories?filter%5B%5D=all&filter%5B%5D=15), but it's also in the hands of some retailers like Gr8Tops: http://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogate. The wide-swing hinges are also direct replacements for the factory hinges even without an Exogate, and those are available directly from MORryde (http://www.morryde.com/products/189...-accessories?filter%5B%5D=all&filter%5B%5D=15).

Gr8Tops doesn't list the Rotopax carrier or the other accessories like the HiLift carrier (yet), but those are also available from MORryde, MORryde sent me a production version to test and I just got around to installing it on Saturday:

TJRotopax1_zpsue1za2pa.jpg

My LJ pictured above has a mix of v1 Exogate parts and the new MORryde parts including the new wide-swing hinges.

For the record: I am not an employee of MORryde or Gr8Tops.

piratenation90

Adventurer
You can get the new design Exogate (with the wide-swing hinges) now from MORyde (http://www.morryde.com/products/190...-accessories?filter%5B%5D=all&filter%5B%5D=15), but it's also in the hands of some retailers like Gr8Tops: http://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogate. The wide-swing hinges are also direct replacements for the factory hinges even without an Exogate, and those are available directly from MORryde (http://www.morryde.com/products/189...-accessories?filter%5B%5D=all&filter%5B%5D=15).

Gr8Tops doesn't list the Rotopax carrier or the other accessories like the HiLift carrier (yet), but those are also available from MORryde, MORryde sent me a production version to test and I just got around to installing it on Saturday:

TJRotopax1_zpsue1za2pa.jpg

My LJ pictured above has a mix of v1 Exogate parts and the new MORryde parts including the new wide-swing hinges.

For the record: I am not an employee of MORryde or Gr8Tops.

Glad to see that MorRyde finally got the wide-swing hinges on the shelves, I have actually been checking MorRyde's site every week for the past few months to see if they had release them. I want to thank you again for all the help you gave me back in Jan/Feb with the questions regarding the hinges and the other stuff you have designed. Unfortunately the show I was part of came to a abrupt and nasty ending due to major lies from the group leader so I was unable to publish the two write-ups that I sent to you. Again love all the stuff you design and hope to build myself an extended J-series Dinoot trailer in the next couple of years once I get back into a house that has a usable garage.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles